Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on July 20, 2011
VIZIO XWH200 Universal Wireless HD Video and Audio Kit (Black)
Like most of the reviewers I was ready to send this back but decided to play around a bit. I finally seem to have it working consistently.

We just finished a kitchen remodel and did not want to run multiple HDMI cables to different parts of the kitchen. I discovered this new device when I began looking for a different product. Owning two Vizio TV's I ordered the XWH200. My first impression was one of disbelief considering the size of the two parts. I installed the transmitter and receiver and was able to connect. I found the picture to be very good and the sound acceptable. This is mostly due to the speakers in my 23 inch kitchen TV. I did notice that the presence of objects in the path between the transmitter and receiver would interrupt the signal, which surprised me since this was a radio transmission not IR.

The next morning I came down to breakfast and turned on the TV and had a message of no input on the screen. I immediately suspected the XWH200 and proceeded to disconnect and then reconnect the two units. After the initial handshake everything worked. At this point I realized that unless we can get a consistent connection it was going back, since my wife would not tolerate fiddling around with connections every morning.

After a bit of experimenting I think I have the unit working correctly. This is what I do. Each night I turn off the receiver with the remote control provided. Then turn off my TV and Satellite receiver. Since doing this I have had no problem reconnecting each morning; I turn on the receiver first then the TV and Satellite. The problem seems to have something to do with no input signal being sent to the transmitter, at least that is my guess. I expect that eventually Vizio will correct this issue once there are enough users to complain.

For anyone interested my setup is actually not line of sight. My transmitter is about 7 feet off the ground at the top of my entertainment unit. The transmitter is aimed at the top of the doorway leading into the center hall then another doorway leading into the kitchen. The Receiver is about 8 feet from the door. Total distance about 20 feet and no drop outs unless you stand directly in front of the receiver. People pass through both doorways without any problems with the transmission.

August 10, 2010 It's Working All The Time

I stopped turning the unit off and on. I just leave it on all the time and the unit has worked flawlessly. So I guess I should give the unit a 5 star review. I think the 4 is more realistic considering the difficulty some folks have in getting this unit to work. My only advice is to give it a chance and take your time, patience pays off. I would buy this unit again knowing what I do now.

June 29, 2012,

After nearly a year the unit is working well. I do have an occasional need to disconnect the power and then reconnect to reestablish the signal but in the last year that only has happened about three times. This unit amazes me more now than it did when I first purchased it. I would buy this product again if I need another or a replacement.

To address a comment someone posted, yes standing in front of the receiver blocks the signal at least at 20 feet. And, I have doorways but no doors between the transmitter and receiver.
22 comments33 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2011
I was a bit apprehensive about picking up this device based on some of the reviews here. Thankfully, I took the chance and I couldn't be more pleased. I haven't encountered any of the issues others describe. The XWH200 just worked, straight out of the box. I didn't need the manual and as demonstrated below, haven't had to jump through any hoops to keep things working. The device requires less than 18 seconds to synchronize in any case and less than 12 seconds to sync in normal use. It works through floors or across a crowded room.

Here's quick description of my setup followed by my test results and observations.

Placement:

I have the transmitter and receiver placed just shy of 20 feet apart, the transmitter is 24 inches up on a stand while the receiver sits on top of a wall-mounted TV at a height of 72 inches. The distance is partially obstructed by the arm of a couch and the devices aren't exactly facing each other. The transmitter is in a corner while the receiver is located at the center of an opposite wall.

Sync Time:

(Times reported are an average of each scenario repeated 4x.)

-Disconnect and reconnect input to the transmitter: 11.1s
-Transmitter powered off/on at the wall: 14.5s
-Receiver powered off/on at the wall: 17.6s
-Receiver powered off/on via the supplied remote: 4.3s
-Switch transmitter inputs via the supplied remote: 8.7s

Interference:

I haven't done any real tests relating to interference from people, objects or walls, but I can make a few observations.

-During the course of a 3 hour get-together with 12 people milling about in the path of the XWH200, the device lost sync a handful of times but recovered within 1-2 seconds.
-During typical use by my family I have yet to see any sync loss.
-I was able to use the XHW200 just fine between floors, but doing so seemed to affect the signal strength. With 12 horizontal feet, 19 vertical feet, a ceiling full of a recessed lighting and carpeted floors between the transmitter and receiver the device worked just fine. However, in this configuration it appeared to be more prone to interference from bodies standing in or walking through the transmission path.

Devices:

I've tested the XWH200 with a Verizon FiOS HD DVR, Roku 2 XS and Motorola Xoom.

Conclusion:

The XWH200 is a great little device that does exactly what it claims without complication.
on May 22, 2011
The wireless works perfectly - no issues. I even tried to put things between and on the adapters and it still worked without any issues. There are 4 inputs and 1 output which goes to the tv. All the devices are separately stored and the tv is nicely perched on the wall with the receiver almost hidden behind it.
on June 27, 2011
I had this device up and running out of the box in less than five minutes. It was working perfectly with both my PS3 and my Cox DVR. I was thrilled to have found the perfect solution for my home theater setup. Fast forward to the next morning: It was a total disaster. Although I got the transmitter and receiver to easily connect with one another, I couldn't get any signal on my television. I've worked in tech support in the past and I am very familiar with the ins and outs of electronics. I tried cycling the power on the transmitter and the receiver, disconnected and reconnected all HDMI cables, tried different inputs on my television, all to no avail. I powered off the TV, turned it back on and, to my surprise, it was back to streaming perfectly. Not sure what happened or why that worked, but it did nonetheless (after about an hour of troubleshooting). A few hours later I decided to watch a movie on my PS3, switched inputs, and again no signal. Another hour of troubleshooting and nothing worked. I am hoping my unit is simply defective, but I am scared that's not going to be the case. Amazon is shipping a replacement today, I will update this review with the results.

Side Note: When working, this setup is ridiculously cool. Picture and sound quality are great!

Update: I am on my third unit (two from Amazon, one directly from Vizio), and I have had the same connectivity problem with all of them. Vizio said Amazon's lot may be bad, so they replaced it with one from their supply and it had the same issues. Stay away from this until the technology is more reliable.
66 comments18 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2011
I am not sure what others are doing with this. I was in two minds about buying this as people either liked it (it worked) or hated it (it didn't work). I use it to watch shows streamed from Netflix and Amazon. I am no tech genius, just an average mom who can plug and play. That's just what I did. I plugged the transmitter via HDMI to my laptop, then the receiver via HDMi to the TV. Turned everything on and the TV showed up as an extended display on my laptop. Logged into Netflix and started watching. No problems.

CONS: I wish they supplied longer HDMI cables and longer power adapters. But I can live with it. A bit pricey.
on June 13, 2011
Works great when it's working, but doesn't always do so. I set it up about 5 feet apart, line of sight. The only way to get it to work (every time I turn on the TV) is unplug both sender and receiver with all other devices turned off, then plug both back in and wait for them to connect, turn back on my set top box and TV, then wait. and wait. and wait. Sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 15, sometimes hours with no response. However, once it randomly works, works perfectly. Vizio tech support tried to just read me the manual. Too new for them to have any database to help. I have seen a lot of online reviews about HDMI compatibility issues between Vizio TVs and Verizon FIOS, so I can't be sure whether the issue is entirely with this box or with the combination. However, it's on it's way back and I'm looking for another one that works consistently with ym setup. The concept is fantastic, but I recommend looking for a different one if you have FIOS.
66 comments12 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2011
This thing worked perfectly outta the box. I have it hooked up to a Sony Bravia and had no issues with compatibility. I currently have an X-Box 360 hooked up to it and have not noticed any loss in audio or video quality. It even automatically switches to the proper HDMI input when the X-Box is turned on.
on October 27, 2011
I purchased the Vizio XWH200 wireless HDMI from Costco. I usually purchase with Amazon Prime, but I feared that this device might not be reliable and a Costco return would be simpler. To my delight, the wireless HDMI is working flawlessly. I have it transmitting from my iMac and Apple TV to my Samsung 50 inch plasma HDTV. All of the components are line-of-site and only about 10 feet away. I set up it up with my Harmony One universal remote so I don't use the included Vizio remote. I downloaded an app called Jump Desktop on my iPad; it enables me to mirror my iMac on my iPad so I can sit on the sofa and use it to remote control my iMac on the plasma HDTV!

Addendum on January 27, 2012:

My current home theatre set-up is as follows: I have a Samsung PN50B650 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (50 inch plasma) with 4 HDMI ports (3 on back/1 on side), a VIZIO VHT510 5.1-Channel Home Theater System (soundbar with wireless sub & rear surrounds) a TiVo TCD746320 Premiere DVR (Black), an OPPO BDP-93 Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player, a Toshiba DKVR60 - DVD recorder/ VCR combo, a Roku 2 XD Streaming Player an Apple TV2 and an iMac desktop computer. I use a Nyrius SW200 S-Video Composite & Digital Optical Toslink 3 Input Audio Video Selector Switch since the sound bar has only a single optical input. Currently I have video from the TiVo, Oppo Blu-ray and Toshiba DVD recorder/VCR combo hooked up to the 3 HDMI ports on the back of the Samsung plasma HDTV and the Vizio XWH200 wireless HDMI (item being reviewed) connected to the HDMI port on the side of the HDTV. My Apple TV, Roku 2 SD and my iMac desktop are connected to the Vizio XWH200 wireless HDMI about 9 feet from the rest of the home theatre set-up. I connect audio from all of the components adjacent to the HDTV (except for the Toshiba DVR/VCR) to the soundbar via Toslink (optical-digital cable) using the optical switcher (Nyrius SW200). The audio from Toshiba DVR/VCR and all of the components connected to the Vizio wireless HDMI (Apple TV, Roku and iMac) are passed through the Samsung plasma HDTV via Toslink to the optical switcher and then to the sound bar. The entire system is controlled with a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote. I literally press "Watch TV", "Watch Roku", "Watch Blu-ray", etc. and all of the components jump to the right settings and work perfectly.

One important tweak, that several others have mentioned also, is to leave the Vixio XWH200 HDMI switcher ON! I set up my Harmony One so that it would not turn off the HDMI switcher. If you turn it off, you may have "handshake" issues that require unplugging/rebooting the transmitter and receiver. This gets old real fast when the whole point is to have everything work with a remote.
on October 3, 2012
I purchased this item in August 2012 and it barely worked since day one. To be completely fair it works GREAT when it can connect to my devices and my TV, but the problem is that is rarely does that.

HERE ARE THE FACTS:
1) The design of this device is so poor that the device switching mechanism does not work, or rarely works. You will spend many hours trying to select any one of your 4 available devices to display on the TV. I am 100% positive it is the design because my Vizio TV has CEC mode and I can see that my two devices are connected but there is never any signal from them. It behaves completely randomly.

2) Vizio itself has stopped selling this device. Ironically if you go to their website and click on the "Accessories" Link and then look at the "More" section you will see a picture of the WHD200!! However, when you click into that section it is nowhere to be found. That should make you cautious...

3) When I called Vizio support they ran me though the basic instructions which did not fix anything. I asked if there was any known issues with this product and they actually told me "No, there are no know issues." I mean seriously, the internet and amazon are filled with people having problems.

4) Finally, because amazon does not directly sell this device don't expect any warranty services. I was told that because I purchased it through a non authorized retailer (even though I clicked "Buy" on this website just as you are considering) they would not offer me any further support.

FINAL PLEA:
Please please please, I am a decent human being who cares about the well being of my fellow men/women. I strongly implore you NOT to buy this product so that I can save you from many restless nights and spare you premature baldness from utter frustration.

Good luck - I am going to start looking for another Wireless HD device now...
I ended up getting a deal on a monitor with integrated speakers, and decided I wanted to mount it on the wall opposite to where my DirecTV HR-22 HD-DVR was, without running new coax.

Vizio seemed to have the cheapest solution, and as always, I suppose you get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong, though, this kit actually works.

However... getting it to work is kind of a pain. Unfortunately, the two sticks won't stay paired unless there's a video source (and in my implementation, an active video source will keep the display from powering down to go to sleep), which means that every time I want to watch something, I have to find the Vizio remote, cycle through the power and inputs a couple of times, and eventually, everything will sync.

Once it's actually going, the picture quality is great and the sound is just fine. You seem to need a 100% clear path between the two sticks when you're powering everything on, but once there's a picture going, it doesn't seem to go nuts if you walk in front of it, or if smaller objects get in the way.

All things being equal, this is a fine product if you don't mind having to tinker with it. If you're looking for some sort of single-touch elegant solution, stay far, far away from this.