ASUS VK278Q 27-Inch Full-HD 2ms LED Monitor with Webcam
Price:$263.29 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 17, 2012
The picture:

1. This monitor has a bright beautiful picture out of the box. Can be tweaked for personal liking. Bezel is glossy and slim, but the screen is matte finish.

For those who are complaining about lack of mic on the webcam:

2. The built-in webcam has no mic. If it did, I'd still disable it. You may wonder why one would do that. Simple--a lot of people use a headset with built-in mic when using a webcam. In fact, outside of those staged photo opps on apple's ad's, sound quality is far better when using a headset with built-in mic. If the mic is on the monitor, either you speak louder or sit closer to the screen. A more sensitive monitor mic picks up lots of ambient noise such as key-clicks. I find that I have to repeat myself several times. With a 27" screen, my eyes are about 32 inches away from the screen. At that distance, a built in mic on the monitor doesn't sound that great. I use the monitor in a shared environment, so it is simply not practical to use a built-in mic in a "speakerphone" type of mode.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 31, 2012
Verified Purchase
I admit my bias, I have been using Asus back to the 90's for work on high end systems. It was one of a handful of companies that I would even consider using for specialty servers, development, or specialty machines then. It is one of even fewer now. Their failures were always followed by a concerted effort to not only compensate, but out-do themselves next time around.

Their venture into so many different fields at once bothers me a little. They were the kings of good hardware, but like Samsung and so many others, success breeds mediocrity, and I don't want to see them go that way.

But as with their routers, their components, optical drives, laptops brand, and tablets, they have so far done well in remaining true to the innovative roots with the monitors as well...

I am a long-time Samsung die-hard... If you see anything that can display a video in my home, it says Samsung on it, for many good reasons. Asus however caught my eye with the usual pack leading combination of so many possible combinations, good fundamentals and utilization scenarios, that you will never toss them out, because they can be re-purposed forever in valid roles.The pricing they are clearly undercutting others with, to break into these other markets was just icing on the cake.

I bought one of these a couple years ago and used it in concert with my Samsung monitors. I was so impressed with it's handling of my rather extreme switches from 3d Modelling one day, to 2D graphics, web development, DB and low-level C++ stuff, video editing, a full bore Allen & Heath recording studio the next, then randomly throwing on spells of high end gaming or command line only for months at a time.

It fit every role, and never showed signs of inadequacy. When the last Sammy started showing signs of age, I never even had to think, I just bought a matching Asus (and you can mount two 27" side by side nicely with some of the tougher arms Amazon carries, and an extension arm btw...)

So even two years later, this thing was worthy of a similar investment price-wise, despite some of the newer technologies it lacks (3D built in, though my 3GB 580's take care of that nicely anyway)... I am really picky about this stuff... this one was a no-brainer, even being that old...

Pros:

- Big
- Giant
- Cool
- Asus
- Two on a single rack = amazing (I use the Ergotron single post with two arms stacked and an additional arm extension, I can do just about anything with two 27" monitors without effort... could probably even add another to this...and just might)
- PIP can be set to any other input source (VGA, HDMI etc), I use it on my second monitor to keep remote servers and network monitoring in constant view. There are a thousand uses for this, I love it.
- It has connections for everything, and as Asus has always been masters of, you can use it all together to amazing effect.

Cons:

- Button array annoys me, I don't like using the menu buttons at all.They are along the bottom and unintuitive. I've bought worse... but think Asus could do better.
- Menu system is fair, but again not as easy or intuitive as it should be, mostly due to the buttons
- Camera a bit weak, inflexible. But I only really use it for security and face recognition anyway.
- it has speakers... I guess this is fine, but I haven't really wanted built in speakers since 1996...so your call, I have never heard them, but I don't even know where they are , so no harm to me.
- Frankly I would have liked to see more utilities and software options from Asus support. Unusual for them to throw as little behind these as they have since launch. Such a good line, so little of the software wizardry that I am used to from Asus. To be fair, these don't need anything, and I don't even use what they do offer.

There are monitors that do more (I suppose), monitors that have more advanced features, monitors that have any number of superior specialties. I have not yet however found myself wanting anything more than I have from this set of 27's... and I want equipment that allows me to do anything. I would buy them for anyone I knew that I wanted to be truly happy with what they got. I would (and have) spend three times as much on one if I thought it would fit the bill better.
on April 27, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is a great monitor. This is the first LED backlit monitor that I have used and the display is definitely brighter than the monitor that it replaced. Since it is a lot bigger, I was a little worried that the display might appear less sharp than on the previous 22" monitor, but everything is crisp. The built in webcam is more than adequate for Skype, which is the only thing I use it for. The only negative I have about it is that since it has the webcam, it would have been logical to include a built in microphone.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 22, 2011
Like many, I had no desire to flush money down the toilet and end up with something that I wished I had just spent that "extra $50 bucks on". I did my research. I would have loved to buy something in the upper range of things. Turned out I did not have to.

Pros:
*Beautiful color, no adjustments needed whatsoever, right out of the box.

*27 inch screen seemed to me a bit excessive at first, but it does not take that much more desk space than the 22 inch I replaced it with. Perfect!

*I cant find one display issue. No dead pixels, no ghosting, no nothing but a bright clear picture. Gaming, Movies, you name it.

*Plenty of connectivity, you can hook almost anything old or new to this monitor. Add PIP, a nice Web Cam, for the price who could ask for anything more?

*Looks awesome on my computer desk!

Cons:
*Instruction manual is a nightmare. Over half a dozen different languages fight for the same small amount of print space. If you are not at least a little bit tech savvy, you will be screwed using this without any guidance.

*Instructions to activate the Web Cam and the software that comes with it, in a word, sucks. Once you figure it out, tho, everything is fine.

BOTTOM LINE: I would recommend this Monitor. I am very happy with it.

UPDATE 1/02/2013: STILL works perfect. A year later, heavy usage, and I would still buy this thing again!!! Excellent Monitor, thank you :)
UPDATE 1/02/2014: STILL works perfect, two years later. And this Monitor never gets much of a break...it is on almost constantly. Would go 6 stars if that were an option.
UPDATE 2/12/2015: STILL works perfect and looks nice on my computer desk.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2011
This monitor is huge! It has great color and many different settings for different applications. All the connections work great including the in out speakers. This monitor is great for gaming. Never had a problem with ghosting or dead pixels. I also like the fact you need not install any extra drivers.
LED Monitor (excellent contrast), the price for the size, and the available inputs since I prefer using DVI instead of HDMI as long as I am not moving audio.

Picture quality is spot on after you reduce the brightness and contrasts from the out of the box settings (I used a professional A/V dvd to calibrate but the RGB settings were already spot on)
on January 9, 2011
I'll make it short... the product is fantastic at a great price. its NOT a TV but hook in a cable box, HDMI, or Apple TV, etc and you have your TV. right out of the box it works, i have connected it to 2 different computer, one MAC and one PC, and it's easy switch between them. the sharpness is un matched from the LED....so much value... also Electronica Direct was fantastic to deal with... for you advanced guys, you can get it tweaked just right to be even more amazing. one more thing, you can have picture in picture as well as 2 full size screens open at one time as 27`is so large ...see you in the PITs....i'll get there but i'm ecstatic and so here i sit...cheers
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2012
I did a ton of research and read a million reviews. ASUS knocked it out of the park with this one. Love it for gaming because this thing is HUGE! Picture quality is outstanding. No dead pixels. Beautiful screen. Physical buttons instead of those annoying touch sensitive ones that I always seem to accidently hit. Great color right out of the box (it looks good to me, though I'm not a graphic designer or anything). Matte screen reduces glare (great since the window is behind my desk). Weighs only 10lbs making it easy to move around and install. The stand is a little wobbly, but as long as I stabilize my desk it doesn't move even when I type. Can't speak about the speakers because I haven't used them and don't plan to (have my own audio setup). Webcam is a dismal 2MP, but don't really care. If I did, I'd buy a USB HD cam. Would be nice to have a built-in mic though. Every common connection with DSUB, DVI, HDMI, DP (I'm using DVI). For the price, you can't beat this monitor. As good as one that's twice as much. Conclusion: If you're thinking of upgrading or just aren't happy with your current display, buy this one now.
on February 26, 2011
Don't be scared by it's lower price or brand name, this is a great monitor! HD video, PC, and PS3 games all look fantastic on this screen. If you are looking to save a little on a high quality monitor, definitely give this a shot.
on October 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
$300 price tag may seem a little steep but i truly believe that the bang is worth your buck

I really love this monitor. I am heavily involved in the Fighting Game Community and we have very strict necessities for refresh rates when it comes to monitors. Most monitors lag - this one does NOT. For me that is the most important thing when looking at a monitor.

On top of that valuable gem, at 27 inches, this monitors picture is great and the speakers are actually nice and loud.
It doesnt stop there - the web cam thats attached to the top has a decent picture and refreshes pretty great as well. Video from webcam records and streams nice and clear.
An other feature that puts this monitor over the top it the ability to use pip (picture in picture). Using Pip doesnt seem to effect refresh rate and works very well.
on June 18, 2012
Verified Purchase
So I have had this monitor for a few days now. I used it on a new build that I just finished. My other computer has an Asus VW246H 24-Inch Full-HD LCD Monitor with Integrated Speakers that I purchased new a few years ago for around $40 cheaper than this monitor. So far I have had zero problems with either Asus monitor. This one is a beast at 27 inches. I am keeping this build at my parents house. My mother commented that even doctors offices don't have monitors this big. Anyway the colors are amazing, the pictures are crisp and clear. Playing BF3 on this computer with ultra everything, the monitor keeps up. There is zero ghosting or artifacts, and I have seen no evidence of screen tearing. It really is impressive for gaming. Out of the box the setting were pretty good. A little tweaking has it looking great! The screen was bright out of the box. I turned it down some as in a dark room white background internet pages would melt your eyes. This monitor has some great hookup options. HDMI, DVI, Displayport, and D-sub. Personally I just use this as a computer monitor and stick with the DVI. I prefer this over HDMI as long as I am not running sound. They are both digital standards, and minus HDMI's ability to carry sound, they are identical. That saves me from having to worry about an HDMI cable. This monitor comes with a DVI cable, so I was good to go. The built in webcam works as advertised. I have not tried it with Skype yet, but I did test the camera itself. No it does not have a microphone, but I didn't expect it to nor would I want it to. The speakers are very poor, however I knew that going in, and did not get this monitor because of the speakers. If you have nothing else, they will work, but a $10 pair sounds worlds better then the built in ones. The only real negative about this monitor is the stand. It does not hold the monitor well. If you bump the desk, the monitor shakes. It seems that ASUS could have put a little better engineering job into a stand that holds a monitor this large. For that I will reduce one star. Overall I am extremely pleased with this monitor. I will update if anything changes. My other Asus monitor that I got in January of 2010 is still going strong with daily use, and I hope this one lasts as well.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations