From the Back Cover
Move up the Stack into a Private Cloud
Empowered by virtualization, companies are not just moving into the cloud, they're moving into private clouds for greater security, flexibility, and cost savings. However, this move involves more than just infrastructure. It also represents a different business model and a new way to provide services. In this detailed book, VMware vExpert Simon Gallagher makes sense of private cloud computing for IT administrators. From basic cloud theory and strategies for adoption to practical implementation, he covers all the issues. You'll learn how to build a private cloud and deliver it as a service using VMware vCloud Director 5.1.
- Consider what it takes to transition to the cloud, including the business, technical, and operational issues
- Get familiar with the essential tools—the vCloud Director 5.1 suite
- Understand the delivery model of infrastructure-as-a-service
- Define a service catalog, including determining how to track and allocate costs to users and assess performance
- Measure the impact of a private cloud on your legacy applications and infrastructure
- Implement efficient operations—learn how to apply automation, set up backup and restore, and maintain HA
- Deliver an end-to-end solution to an end user with a fully managed guest
About the Author
Simon Gallagher, VCP3/4, VCAP4-DCD, VCAP4-DCA, is an infrastructure architect and a cloud specialist. VMware recognized his work within the virtualization community with vExpert awards in 2009 and 2010. He blogs about virtualization and infrastructure technologies at http://vinf.net.