Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on February 5, 2015
Bought three of these to be mounted for widescreen gaming, and could not be happier with the purchase. The price is great for the product you are receiving. The thin bezel is great for multi-monitor setups, and dual hdmi ports is a great perk if you want to use them for dual purposes. The speakers are good as far as monitor speakers go, but nothing amazing. The monitor stands that these arrive with are relatively weak, I currently have them mounted to a Ergotech Monitor stand, which of course fixed the problem of the sturdiness. The picture quality is great and gaming on them is amazing. Would absolutely recommend these.
review image
33 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2013
I'm not sure why Amazon grouped three different monitor together, but the one I am reviewing is the VN247H-P

In terms of the specs, this monitor is great. It has two HDMI ports, audio in, and an audio out port for headsets, etc. The monitor has speakers which is decently loud and of decent quality (It's better than laptop speakers (HP dv7t in my case) by far, but don't expect it to beat dedicated speakers / surround sound systems). It comes with VGA cable, a DVI to HDMI cable, and an audio cable. If you want hdmi to hdmi, you will need to buy that yourself (I bought the amazon basics ones)

Now for what I mean by "work required"
First of all, the screen was badly calibrated when shipped. Everything was washed out, etc because all the settings were near max. Definitely run windows built in color calibration ("calibrate display color" in Windows 8). The colors look much better after that.

Second, I may have received a semi defective unit in terms of the stand. The hinge wouldn't budge when I first tried to tilt the screen. I knew something was not right because I was close to breaking the housing on the monitor with the amount of force I was applying to tilt the monitor. I then checked the instruction manual which does show how to remove the hinge mechanism. Following that, I realized the nuts (hex shaped versions) were on way too tight. I loosened them and the monitor was able to tilt normally. Hopefully this is an isolated incident, because requiring extra tools to set up a monitor is not the way to go.

Third, as other reviewers say, the stand is a bit "flimsy". I do not fear the stand would break even when left alone, but it does flex / wobble more than other monitors when the table shakes. In other words, there is no need to shake the table, so don't do it and you will be fine.

Fourth, the placement of the ports on the monitor is TERRIBLE. It's behind a flap in the back and due to the low clearance, it was really difficult to plug in the wires. In the end, I gave up feeling for the ports and had to lay the monitor flat on the screen (on the protective covering it came in) and plug in the wires by aiming carefully. If you need to constantly remove the cables out of the monitor, this isn't a really good fit.

(Non monitor related issue) Lastly, remember to switch the audio settings so the sound will actually come out of the monitor if you are using HDMI. Right click the audio picture in the task bar > click playback devices > select the monitor > click set as default

Now after all the initial set up issues, I must say the monitor itself is pretty good. The colors look great after calibration, the sound was better than what I expected (I was thinking average laptop speaker quality, but it is much better than that), and the response times are great as well. The thin bezel also looks aesthetically pleasing. If you can ignore the setup gripes and don't alter the monitor after the initial setup, this is a very good monitor for the price.
66 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I purchased 2 of these ASUS VN247H-P 23.6-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor last year after one of my Dell monitors started flaking out on me. I kept the good dell and incorporated these 2 in with that one. I use my monitors for my photoshop and video editing purposes. My son on the other hand using them for gaming and loves them. He said there is a huge difference in his gaming with these monitors compared to the dells we had side by side. So these monitors get used for both work and play and perform well.

SPECS These monitors are 23.6 inches and 1080p and have a small bezel at just less than a half an inch. The response time is 1ms and has ASUS Trace Free II Technology for smooth playback. A refresh rate of 60 hz with an 80 million to 1 dynamic contrast ratio. This is ASUS Smart contrast ratio which adjusts the backlight luminance on the fly to give you rich deep tones, deep blacks and bright whites.

PORTS It has 2 HDMI ports and VGA and they have included an HDMI to DVI cable plus a VGA cable as well. If you want to run HDMI you will need to purchase that cable. I got Amazonbasics HDMI cables and they work great. Here is the link http://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Supports/dp/B003L1ZYYM

SPEAKERS This monitor comes with built in speakers..which are ok if you want speakers built into your monitor maybe to save space..but don't expect too much out of them. If you want better sound then you will have to get a dedicated speaker system or surround sound. We have used Logitechs 5.1 Surround Sound for years so I had no use for the built in speakers. Just know they are there if you need them.

STAND/MOUNT You can mount this on the provided stand which only tilts slightly and there is no height adjustment. It is a bit flimsy in my opinion but having three monitors stacked side by side they don't move much. It also has VESA mounts on the back so you can mount it to multi monitor stands or even a wall..just like all of your flat screen TV's. Same Principle.

The display is a matte finish.

ADJUSTMENTS You will want to calibrate these monitors after you install them. Mine came in and weren't to bad out of wack but after I ran a Spyer 4 Pro on it it adjusted everything for me and now it looks amazing. If you don't have access to a Third party calibration tool and you are running windows you can use the windows calibration tool. Open Display Color Calibration by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type calibrate display, and then click Calibrate display color. In Display Color Calibration, click Next to continue and follow the on screen prompts. Windows calibration is pretty decent. You will need to use the on screen menu and buttons on the bottom, back, right side of the monitor to do this. These buttons are a pain to use. The menu is printed on the front of the monitor and the buttons are on the back..you just kinda feel for the buttons. I'm not a big fan of this.

MY CALIBRATION It is very important to me when I am building a website and using photoshop that my colors be true. Also when I have to print photos of events I shoot that the colors I am seeing is what is going to print. So I ran the Spyder 4 on all three monitors and you can tell a big difference between the Dell and these 2 ASUS monitors on the whites. The spyder is telling me that is as white as the dell is going to get..and it's not white. It has a blue tint compared to the 2 ASUS monitors.

Overall I am giving the ASUS VN247H-P 23.6-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor a 5 star rating for price VS performance. If you are researching and reading reviews on new monitors like I did for days on end then I encourage you to give this monitor a try. I have done the research already folks and spent a lot of time doing it. I had a budget and this was by far the best I could find for the price. I got these and haven't looked back. I feel like I spent my hard earned money wisely. I only had one issue and that was the buttons as I mentioned. Not easy to use being behind the monitor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments. I will respond. If you found my review helpful, let me know. Lets keep making better buying decisions together. Thank you and as always Be Safe & Happy Shopping!!
review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2013
5 stars for quality, Picture, Size, design, and especially price.

Quality- Great quality didn't think anything cheap, some have complained about stand and flap on back of screen, both have neither bothered me. The small frame on the screen is amazing planning on buying more of these.

Picture- preset out of the box setting not so great had to adjust setting but once done got it down perfect for me.

Setting Tips: Contrast 51, saturation 52, color temp user mode, skin natural, smart view off

Size- is just great for the price. for gaming for me 24" is just right not to small nor to big to see everything and when put with 3 other monitors just imagine the magic game play :P

Design- looks great on my desk and very minimal connections I don't see any of the cables and buttons are behind the screen away from sight might bother some but it looks great to me.

Price- is just great for the size and the quality out of this monitor for games, moves, editing moves, looking at pictures color pops on this monitor just typing on this now color comes out great.
on December 26, 2014
I dont know why but my panel came very dull in color unusual I have it next to another tn panel and it just looks wrong

the asus one is the one on the right next to a samsung tn panel
review image
on August 6, 2013
I bought three of these for a multi-monitor setup. I'm not a gamer so I don't use them for playing video games. I bought them for general productivity & to work on software development. So far they are awesome. I highly recommend this model especially if you want a multi-monitor setup.

Pros:
*They have a great minimalist design.
*Very thin bezel.
*Awesome screen.
*Great for multi-monitor setup.
*Non-glossy screen. (personally I still haven't grasped why anyone would want the distraction brought on by a reflective screen)

Cons:
*VGA port but no DVI port.
-Really?? If you're buying a high res monitor like this are you really going to use a VGA port??? Shame on you if you do! :)
*Short monitor stand.
-I'm using Humanscale monitor arms so I'm not using the stands which come in the box but I can totally see how the stands would be too short for me and probably be wobbly like other
reviews have mentioned.
*Its not immediately obvious how to navigate through the onscreen menus

I've seen some reviews complain about buttons being in back of the monitor but to me since the monitors are so thin and lite having them on the back is better and provides more leverage for pressing them. Also, expect to make some settings adjustments (ex: brightness) after taking it out of the box.
on May 23, 2013
I love this monitor because the brightness is perfect and adjustable. The thickness is extremely thin. I would definitely buy another one. The speakers are also nice.
review image review image
on March 22, 2015
I have owned this monitor since December of 2014. At the time of this review, it is late March of 2015. I use it for gaming (COD), digital art with a Wacom tablet (pictured), and as a daily computer monitor. It's VERY bright. The colors are accurate, with appropriate settings. I use sRGB. It is sharp. Overall 4.5/5 picture quality. I think I prefer LCD displays with glossy finishes, but this one is matte finish and LED instead of LCD. This gives you better black colors, but I think LCD are still sharper.

Some things to consider:
1.) Speakers are average. Good midtones, average highs, subpar lows. I have since bought external speakers with a subwoofer and they are lightyears ahead of the built in speakers of the monitor.
2.)The stand that comes included with the monitor is not too solid. If you rock the table or desk that this monitor is standing on, the monitor itself will wobble back and forth precariously. I have hit my desk pretty hard before and it has caused the monitor to shake somewhat violently, but so far it hasn't actually fallen off my desk. I don't think it will, but I'm saying that the stand/monitor combo do not stand as still and solidly as they should.
3.) All of the connections are on the back of the monitor. They are facing upward, not directly into the monitor. This makes it quite difficult to connect any cables to it, let alone adjust them later. Moreover, there is a black flap that covers the connections that made this process (connecting, adjusting) impossible without laying the monitor flat on its front and connecting it that way. This could damage the screen and is a huge headache. Because of this, I just broke off the flap and threw it away. With the flap gone, the connections are far more exposed and easy to manipulate. I no longer have to lay the monitor down to adjust the connections, I just have to kneel down to get good visibility on the connections. Annoying issue, questionable placement of ports/flaps.
4.) Finally, the bezels are EXTREMELY thin. So thin that if you were to hold the monitor from the back and pick it up, your fingertips would be touching the screen. This means you have to lift if very carefully, almost just 'resting' it on your fingertips, instead of gripping it completely so that you won't smudge it up.

I bought this replacing a 42" Vizio 1080 Flatscreen for gaming, and I connect my 17.9" Laptop to it for computer use. They are connected via HDMI. There is an audio (AUX) out port in the back. Pictures in the review include a view of the monitor on my desk, next to the aforementioned 17.9" HP Pavilion Laptop, and an XBOX 360. I do have a large desk, so if your desk is smaller, the monitor will take up more space.

Overall I am pleased. Despite the shortcomings of this monitor, I do not see myself buying another one for the next year or two, only if I have to.
review image review image review image
on May 15, 2016
These monitors are definitely a bang for the buck. To keep this review short - the main reason for my review lacking a star is the wobbly stand (which isn't much of a problem, but should still be addressed in future versions by the manufacturer) and the horrid settings out of the box. I had to play around with this for hours prior to having a comfortable color profile that is relatively accurate to the eye and does not cause headaches. Once you have your profile set, you should be fine. Another very unnoticeable issue which is slightly present is a very subtle bleed coming from the bottom of the monitor. It is not very noticeable and unless I really analyze my monitor pixel by pixel I will not noticeable on most tasks, but it is there. I love this monitor, the very thin bezel allows me to place them side by side (I bought two) without much distraction. The screen does very well against reflections (I am in a room with 5 windows shining direct sunlight at certain times of the day) and the built-in speakers (although I do not use them) are a nice added feature for the price. I find the response time to be indeed as advertised and I am happy with my purchase.I definitely recommend this monitor. Asus has always created quality products and this is no exception.
on May 2, 2015
I have had these two monitors for about 6 weeks now and really like how crisp, clear and bright they are. Sitting side by side right out of the box they looked great and there was no difference in color, contrast, etc. between them.

I did use Windows to tune them which made them a little better but I also tried to 'tune' them up a little using not a very scientific method of 'screen patterns' which I ended up scraping and reverting to the out of the box configuration. You can Google 'calibrate LED monitor' to see what patterns I tried to use, which worked pretty OK for my older 22" Asus monitors.

I did appear to have one dead pixel on one of the monitors but again used Google to see if there was a way to fix this and the first recommended option from a trusted source, gently press the screen where the dead pixel is, fixed it straight away and I have not seen it since.

I have zero complaints with this monitor and highly reccomend it to anyone looking for a really nice 1080p monitor. I am only using the on-board graphics on my MSI motherboard and am still impressed with regular use and when gaming but I will follow up on this review when I get a nice graphics card.