5.0 out of 5 stars Great bedroom tube amp
I've been chasing tube tone in my tiny apartment for years now. I've tried everything from modelers, tube pedals, one-knob Class A amps, etc. and could never quite hit the sweet spot. I got wind of the Lil' Night Train and was very interested in the idea of a 2W, all-tube head. I tried it at my local guitar shop and was instantly sold.

It's the perfect...
Published on August 6, 2011 by C. Longo

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on May 12, 2012 by pat

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bedroom tube amp, August 6, 2011
C. Longo (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VOX NT2H Lil' Night Train Head (Electronics)

It's the perfect little amp for people who cannot crank a 100W stack to get good tone at home. I can set the gain down low and dime the master volume for sparkly cleans that won't disturb the neighbors. Or, set the master low and crank the gain for some serious distortion. It can get pretty loud for an apartment if you start maxing out the gain and master but it's not loud enough to play over a drummer if you're thinking of using it in a band setting. Sounds great into a 1x10 cabinet but sounds epic into anything larger.

Unfortunately the headphone out is inadequate. Cleans sound good but any gain sounds very harsh and unusable even for just practicing. It can still be used as line-out into an external cab simulator for recording, which sounds good, but the output direct to headphones is not implemented well. Don't buy this amp if headphone use is one of your top needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best small tube practice amp I've heard, February 10, 2013
This review is from: VOX NT2H Lil' Night Train Head (Electronics)
This is a great little amp, but you have to remember; it is just a practice amp. That said I play mainly out of a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special. I also have 3 tube practice amps, a Jet City Picovalve, a Kustom Defender 5H, and this Lil Night Train.

The Jet City is mushy sounding, even with different tubes, but playable. The Kustom gives an awesome clean tube sound for a little amp, but I find my self practicing with the Lil Night Train. It sounds like a much bigger amp. Because there is only a single channel, you have to play with it to get the sound you want. With a Les Paul Standard, I tend to turn the treble up a little and the gain down. With a Strat, the treble goes down and the gain up.

It takes pedals really well. Put a Tubescreamer type overdrive with a little bit of gain from both the amp and the Tubescreamer and you can get a big tube amp bluesy tone at very reasonable volumes.

This little amp can sound so good that you can bring it with you to practice sessions, if you understand that for different songs (sounds) you'll have to adjust the controls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm Tubes, March 1, 2013
This review is from: VOX NT2H Lil' Night Train Head (Electronics)
I love the Lil' Night Train. I haven't had the chance to try it with a nice cab, but even with a bad one, it sounds amazing after it's all warmed up. I would not recommend to buy this just for headphone use; because that output is really bad quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tube amp to overdrive without blowing out windows!, March 21, 2013
This review is from: VOX NT2H Lil' Night Train Head (Electronics)
Nice amp, too bad it is no longer produced. Good for rolling the knobs, everybody to 10.
Tempted by the 15w version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lil' tube amp for practice & no volume recording, with mild reservations, February 14, 2013
This review is from: VOX NT2H Lil' Night Train Head (Electronics)
This is a handy little bugger, I currently have it hooked up to a MOTU external sound card.

I can certainly get some good sounds out of it, however it would be nice if you could crank up both the volume and the gain without the signal clipping. I realize there are steps I can take to correct this, however if I wanted a more complicated setup I would not have purchased this amp. The advertising should reflect that this amp does not have a true power soak, just a headphone output.

Overall, it's good but not great. So far, it's worth it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 12, 2012
This review is from: VOX NT2H Lil' Night Train Head (Electronics)
i sunk about $300 and all i can say about it six months later is that it's a shoddy product. I got it new, however, turning the volume up past halfway resulted in a weird sound, possibly a broken tube i guess. Anyways, the gain recently started fading in and out, depending on how the cable is positioned, which is always a pain (I tried multiple cables). Also, the sound started crackling recently. The amp was somewhat enjoyable while it lasted, however, I would not recommend it. After being on for about an hour, it's very hard to get a truely clean sound out of this amp (though I guess that's kind of a gamble with any tube amp). I never dropped any parts of the amp, so I was pretty surprised (and angry, frustrated, and disappointed) when it crapped out on me. It was a good practice amp and could crank surprisingly loud for its size, I was just irritated by how long it lasted.

P.s. Now I'm using an old amp that I got from my uncle which has been working well for 30 YEARS!

VOX NT2H Lil' Night Train Head