4.0 out of 5 stars Lasting fun at a decent price
We got two of these Vtech Rhyme & Discover Books for our twins last Xmas (December 2008), and they played with these at least half an hour at a time, several times a day. At 10 months later the kids (now a little over 2 years old) still play with them regularly, anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes a day, sometimes more.
The books have been smeared by sticky hands and wipe...
Published on October 26, 2009 by Phoebe Oh

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous...Don't Buy!!!!
Published on September 28, 2010 by S. Owen

4.0 out of 5 stars Lasting fun at a decent price, October 26, 2009
Phoebe Oh (central Illinois) - See all my reviews
The books have been smeared by sticky hands and wipe clean well, and they have been dropped countless times without damage.
Just recently, 10 months later, we have changed the batteries (two AAAs) in one of the books, and the other one is still going on the batteries that came inside it.

The pros are:
*Price (you get lots of bells and whistles for this amount of money) and batteries included
*Durability
*Cleanability
*Visually interesting (Four panels or "pages," for a total of seven different pictures/sides to look at, plus a couple of two-sided movable pieces that make sound effects, and three light-up "tab" buttons in the shape of a lamb, kitten and puppy, each with their own sound effects)
*Huge musical variety -- some songs have a couple bars of vocals and some are just instrumental
("Ring around the rosie," "Twinkle twinkle little star," "Mary had a little lamb," "Little Bo Peep," "Hey diddle diddle," "Bingo," "Three little kittens," "This is the way we ...," "Old McDonald had a farm," "The farmer in the dell," "Rockabye baby," "This old man," "London Bridge is falling down," "Three blind mice," "Sur le pont d'Avignon")

The cons:
*The on-off switch has two volume choices, but the louder option is a little too loud for young ears. The lower volume is fine, and it would be nice if toy makers would put the volume switch somewhere less accessible to the child. My kids, and the ones I've babysat, all seem to like to crank the volume to the highest setting, and the highest setting seems as though it has the potential to damage hearing over the long term. (This is a problem with many toys, and not unique to this one.)
*It would be nice to have the entire song for some musical selections (you get only part of the song and not all the lyrics either), but it's not a huge minus considering how many songs are included

Overall, based on my kids' experience with this toy, I would recommend this to my friends and/or give as a gift.

Update October 2010: These books are still in the toy box rotation and going strong in spite of many falls to the floor and some banging on the play/train table. We changed batteries again, so in total one book has had its batteries changed once and the other has had batteries changed twice. Now that the kids are 3 years old, they don't play with these books as much, so we're getting ready to hand these down to a younger cousin.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our Daughter's Favorites!, March 28, 2010
Length:: 1:53 Mins

The Vtech Infant Learning Rhyme and Discover Book brings together two of our daughter's favorites - books and music. While the book is only 6 pages it does provide a variety of songs and sounds. There are things to grab and pull and colors that light up! Our daughter loves playing with the book, and unlike a traditional book it does not get soggy when she tries to eat the pages!

Features-

- It focuses primarily on three animals - Dogs, Cats, and Sheep
- Plays a variety of songs - such as BINGO, Mary had a Little Lamb, Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star, Little Bo Peep, and Three Little Kittens.
- Two volume settings
- Lights in Red, Yellow, and Blue
- Each animal makes the appropriate sound
- As others have mentioned it easy to clean - sticky fingerprints are easily cleaned
- Durable - it can be dropped without too much fear of damage
- Someone mentioned that the red light contains lead... but I am not so sure it poses a risk. Outside of that there is not much chance of child getting hurt from this toy.

Final Verdict - Our daughter loves the Vtech Rhyme & Discover Book - It provides catchy tunes, flashing lights, and stories - what more could you want?

5 Stars

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous...Don't Buy!!!!, September 28, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars
Our 11 mo. old Daughter was playing with the vtech nursery rhyme book, the one with the lamb, cat,& puppy on it, while she was in her pack 'n play. I just happened to look over at her and she had a funny look on her face and was mouthing something. I thought she had a bit of fuzz or something in her mouth because she had nothing but a couple of toys with her in the pack n' play. I was horrified when I pulled a piece of plastic with very sharp jagged edges out of her mouth. I had no idea where it came from until I looked closer at the vtech nursery rhyme book and realized that the paw of the kitten button, that lights up on the side, had broken off. The piece was so sharp I know it would have really hurt her if she'd swallowed it. We are following up with vtech to let them know that the animal buttons on the side are not secure.

1.0 out of 5 stars Red Head Tab has LEAD, December 3, 2009
Jeff&Meg (New York City, NY) - See all my reviews
I was about to purchase this book for my son for Christmas, but checked it out on the website [...] (where they test different products for lead, bromine, etc.) and the red head tab on this book has low levels of LEAD. Even if its low levels, any level of lead is BAD....so I just wanted to give parents a heads up.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but found others we like more, June 7, 2010
While this toy holds my 10 month old twins' attention to some extent, I have a similar electronic nursery rhyme book from another brand that I much prefer due to its having a stand, being more simple and actually singing all the words to the songs. This book is difficult even for me to figure out, when I press buttons I'm never quite sure what song will play and it really bothers me that there is no setting that sings the entire nursery rhymes, so either the parent has to always sing it or the child won't hear the next verse. I also don't like when the animals 'sing', I'm not sure why but I think it is just the fact that there are so many things going on with this, for the target age group, I think a more straightforward toy is better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, June 7, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This is one of those toys that grandparents buy and you are the parent are stuck with! The voice is very annoying and it's not really educational either. They only read half of the "story" on each page, which doesn't really make sense either. Overall, pass this one up and use your money on something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Songs are incomplete, August 8, 2012
The songs are incomplete. There are lyrics to 1st half of the songs. The remaining half are just music. This is for all songs.

This toy is intended for 6 months and older. For 6 month to 18 months, having music without lyrics doesn't work. It is not like they can sing-along. I don't understand why V-tech designed it like this.

Everything else about the toy is great. 5 stars if the songs are complete.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't pass this one up, October 21, 2009
We already have 2 similar hard plastic talking books at home for the kids but when I was in the store and saw this one, I couldn't walk away without having it! There are 4 buttons to press and it lights up and plays music/sings songs. There are also little dials on the pages to move around and reward bonus noises/phrases.

It helps teaches Nursery Rhymes, Music, Animals & Words.

Very colorful.

Has 2 sound levels. The lowest volume is pleanty.

Fun toy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Would not buy, November 28, 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This toy drives me crazy and the random over-stimulation for my 1yo seems no better than watching TV (he sits in a trance listening to the random partial songs/rhymes and it's not clear which actions cause which sounds and lights). There doesn't seem to be any educational value. It is only useful as a babysitter when one of us is home alone and needs to get dressed.

We have a blessedly small number of toys with batteries (all gifts or hand-me-downs) and this is the worst. Try something similar to this Fisher-Price toy instead: [...] (can be purchased second-hand). It provides entertainment, clear cause and effect, and requires babies to learn multiple fine motor skills.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only half a song really?, August 12, 2014
This review is from: Rhyme & Discover Book -FFP (Toy)
It is a nice and sturdy toy with good songs. However for each song it only sings half of each song. Basically for the song Twinkle twinkle little star - it only sings 2 out of 5 sentences. It does that for each and every single song. I thought the toy was defective - it makes absolutely no sense. I have bought similar type of books because they last forever but I have never had such an issue. I saw other reviewers had the same feedback. I would have kept the toy if it sang the entire song like other brands.

Rhyme & Discover Book -FFP