5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST toys out there! Superbly designed!
Published on March 8, 2006 by CQ DX

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Toy
Published on August 16, 2005 by T. Ashley

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST toys out there! Superbly designed!, March 8, 2006
This review is from: VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm (Toy)
Before I start my review, I noticed that the latest version of this toy apparently differs slightly visually than the one pictured here on Amazon. My guess is that there may be two versions of this toy out, or that the one I purchased is the most recent incarnation. My review is for this current version as of March 2006. In short, this is an EXCELLENT toy for a developing infant, because it provides a good panoply of learning sound effects and songs to go along with blinking lights, and a functional keyboard to learn new music skills on. As the advertising for this toy states, the 'Discovery Nursery Farm' has many developmental benefit functions, such as developing motor skills, visual awareness, language development, and imaginative play thru realistic animal sounds and nursery rhymes that infants love to hear. And even though our infant is only 7 months old (the box it came in says it is for infants "9+ months"), she LOVES this toy, as is evidenced by her many smiles, giggles, 'razzing', and overall attention she pays to it. And we have thankfully had no issues with fingers getting stuck, or other safety issues. Perhaps the newer version has effectively addressed this previous safety issue that some reviewers brought up here. In addition, ergonomically, this is a GREAT toy for an infant who loves to spend a lot of time on his/her tummy. The toy is on their level physically, and they can play with it easily while lying down as well as sitting up, with all the buttons and keys well within their reach. And on the lighter subject of the singer being a wee bit 'off key', and having a strange voice (as some reviewers have mentioned), this is really a 'non-issue'. In fact, his interesting voice sounds kind of appropriately goofy and perfectly fit for a fun child's toy. Then again, compared to hearing the English language butchered and 'raped' so many times ever since moving to the state of Ohio 10 years ago, his voice is excellent! GREAT JOB 'VTech'!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for car trips, November 11, 2005
TJ (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm (Toy)
I bought this toy because my then 12-month old son got very interested in it in the store. I kept it in its box (you can use it while it's still in the box), so that I could return it if he lost his interest within a couple of days. That never happened. In fact, it remained in its box in my car for several months, and I would prop it up on something next to my son's carseat, and it kept him entertained for long stretches of time. When he started losing interest, I put the toy away, but now it's back, this time in our living room, and my now 19-month old son loves playing with it. Sometimes when I'm busy in the kitchen and he feels that he needs to be there as well, I just tell him to go press the piggy's nose, which he happily does and starts dancing to the music. His fingers never got stuck in the toy. The toy has been dropped and thrown many times, including once onto a concrete floor, and it still works. In all this time I only had to change batteries twice. I can see how it can annoy an adult, but a toddler can usually find lots of other ways to make annoying noises, and you just learn to filter them out and not pay much attention to them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Toy, August 16, 2005
This review is from: VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm (Toy)
My 10 month old son got his finger caught in the swinging pig door on 3 occasions. The final straw was when it took two of us to free his finger from the toy and left him with a black and blue finger the next day. This toy is dangerous. I called the VTECH 800 number to complain/warn them about the poor design of the toy. I dealt with a slow, inept customer service person who told me he would file my complaint and asked ME to call back in a few days to see if any managers replied to my complaint!!! He never even asked me what or how it happened!! Poor customer service, dangerous toys, and a high price for a toy that will hopefully end up in the trash before it breaks some poor kids finger. My rating for this toy and VTECH customer service is 0 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Toy!!!!!!!!!, October 6, 2005
B. Phillips (Kinderhook, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm (Toy)
My 11 moth old son has gotten his fingers stuck twice in the swinging pig. This toy is a real danger to infants. Please DO NOT take it upon yourself to determine whether this toy is dangerous. Believe these reviews! This really happens. My son's fingers were wedged under the pig and it took myself and my husband to free his fingers without inflicting more pain. This toy belongs in the trash and deserves no stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS TOY, January 3, 2007
This review is from: VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm (Toy)
This is one of the best toys I have bought for my daughter. We bought it 6 months ago and she is still interested in it. It has so many things to keep a babys interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's favorite toy, December 12, 2005
This review is from: VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm (Toy)
We got this toy for my son when he was 5 months old. He loved it! Now that he is mobile, his attention with it does not last as long, but it was a life-saver for a good three months. We have not had the problem with his finger getting stuck in the pig, but I have noticed that my toy differs a little from the one shown in the picture and it makes me wonder if I have a newer version that might have been altered.

The music and the guys voice are a little annoying, but he can't be singing anymore off key than me or my husband. My son doesn't know the difference and the toy keeps him busy for long periods of time, so what do I care. Besides, what kids toy does not get annoying after hearing it more than a few times.

My son loves to flip the page in the book back and forth and roll the duck roller. He also loves the swinging pig.

1.0 out of 5 stars This thing is AWFUL!, February 13, 2006
This review is from: VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm (Toy)
I don't know what took me so long to write this review, but we received this as a gift for our son last year when he was 7 months old, and HE loved it right away. WE did not. You've probably already read this here a dozen times in other reviews, but first and foremost, it's kinda dangerous. The swinging pig has just enough room for little fingers to get wedged in, and I only figured that out when I saw my son stick his fingers in there, notice they were sort of wedged, and yank them back out on his own. Lovely. The other problem? The guy singing is so terribly off key that it hurts my ears to listen. What kind of idiot green-lights a toy for their company with an off-key singer? If you're trying to foster musical aptitude for your little one, this isn't the toy for you. Another issue, the toy flips between number and color mode simply by hitting theh "piano" key twice. So, you get one, red, blue, five; rather than one, two, three or red orange yellow. Not such a big deal, ok. But then there's the issue of the orange pig. See, the piano keys will say yellow like the sun or blue like the pond. I guess they couldn't come up withh anything for orange, so they made the pig orange. Only thing is ... pigs are pink. My son has tired of this toy now, thank goodness, cuz I'm tired of supervising him so his fingers stay squish-free. Please, folks, I'm telling you, you don't want this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying toy, February 16, 2005
This review is from: VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm (Toy)
My 18 month son absolutely loves this toy, but it is the most annoying thing I've ever heard. The guy who sings "Old Mac Donald" is terrible and off key. If you don't mind annoying toys then this is the one for you. Also it's one of those toys that when your child is finished playing with it, it attempts to lour them back to play with it some more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly complex audio toy. Excellent voice and music sound for a cheap toy., June 24, 2007
This review is from: VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm (Toy)
I do agree that parents should watch that fingers and hands don't get stuck above or below the pig - we never had a problem, but the issue is real. This toy is great. The sound quality is excellent, the voices are clear. The audio is bright and cheerful: "Rise and shine, it's a sunny day." Keys and animals (except cow) are easy to press from the earliest age. Colors are vibrant primary and secondary colors. The child learns two popular children's songs, 5 colors, 5 numbers, 5 farm animals. It's also a complicated toy in that pressing the keys or pushing the critters can alter the melodies enough to make an adult have to think what causes what. Various inputs can speed melodies up, play the melodies using animal sounds, change the order of verses, and more. It's amazing what they can do with a little flash memory, a chip, and inexpensive speakers nowadays.

1.0 out of 5 stars Danger - Bad Design - Fingers/Hands will be caught/hurt!!!, September 17, 2005
This review is from: VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm (Toy)
Beware - The swinging pig is a danger. Our daughter got her hand/fingers caught on the pig enough times that we are throwing the toy away!

Side note - This is the worst sounding toy you will EVER hear!

As we are throwing the toy away, I would prefer to give it zero stars, but that is not an option!

VTech - Discovery Nursery Farm