4.0 out of 5 stars Great - but some bumps in the road to know about
Got this camera as a present for my 3-year-old daughter - she loves it! She can switch it on and off by herself and is always asking for '[her] camera' so she can snap a picture. It's also absorbed a few harsh drops without any trouble.

Caveats:
Published on October 5, 2007 by microwiz

2.0 out of 5 stars See for yourself
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:53 Mins
This is actual video that I shot in a very well lit room. This is the BEST video I have ever gotten from the camera. The photos are about the same quality.
I would be happy with the camera as a toy if I hadn't paid $85 for it!
I would say it is worth about $20-$25, but even my 4 year old think the pictures and videos stink.
Published on January 17, 2008 by Jennifer S. Older

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - but some bumps in the road to know about, October 5, 2007

Caveats:
- Though it's named "Kidizoom", it does not actually have any zoom functionality. (Not that a toddler would know what to do with it!)
- Don't try to use a miniSD or microSD card with an SD adapter, and MMC cards won't work either - the camera will start up and immediately shut itself down again. A cheap plain SD card does fine - I put in a 256MB SD that I had lying around and, given that the built-in 16MB held well over 100 of her pictures, I'm sure she'll never fill it up.
- Like many low-end digitals, it doesn't work all that well if lighting is dim, like indoors at night - it needs to be held more still than a toddler can manage. There is a flash, but it will totally bleach out anything taken at toddler-interest range (1-2 ft).
- Unsurprisingly, leaving the camera tethered to the computer via USB for long periods (like overnight) will kill the batteries stone dead. As other reviews have mentioned, you will lose all the pictures stored in the camera's memory if this happens, which could result in tears - so put in that cheap SD card and set it as the default! Pictures saved there will survive a battery outage.
- Videos are very low-res, so don't expect to show them on anything bigger than the built-in screen or postage-stamp size on a computer's media player. The microphone also records at a rather low volume.

4 AA rechargeables and the above-mentioned 256MB SD card later, my daughter is very pleased with her birthday present. I suspect she'll be using this camera for years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera for your toddler, August 29, 2007
wolfglass (Ann Arbor, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Plus Digital Camera - Blue (Toy)
I got this camera for my 2 year old, in an attempt to keep her away from MY camera. It's a great little camera. It has a color LCD on the back so she can review her photos, a flash with three settings (on, off, auto) (which, in on and auto, can bleach things out as she holds the camera about 1 foot away from her subject), takes video (the sound is of poor quality unless you are right in front of the camera or the one holding the camera). The images are obviously of low quality as it's a kid's camera so if you want this for an older child so they can print out their fabulous vacation photos you will be disappointed. It's about the same quality as a cell phone camera. That said, the subject must also stay still and the person holding the camera needs to hold it stead. However, my two year old has turned out a number of good pictures, so an older kid should have no problem. I liked that the camera did video and took photos. It also has some editing capabilities - such as adding funny hats and borders to your photos right there in the camera. I haven't used the software with it to do anything, again, as it's just for my two year old, so I can't speak to it. But it's durable (she's thrown and dropped it a number of times), she's got about 200+ photos and a couple of videos on it and it still has room for more images, and the batteries seem to last a decent amount of time. It also had an auto shut off features, which is great. All in all, an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for children to explore their world....Awesome!!! Better than Fisher Price!!, September 1, 2007
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Plus Digital Camera - Blue (Toy)
We returned Fisher Price FP3 Players (which are garbage) we bought our 4 y/o twin girls for two of these! The reviews for this are better than the Fisher Price Kid Tough and since we were already burned by the FP3 players, wanted to stay far away from FP, we chose the Vtech. We are so glad we did.

The controls are easy (one girl figured everything out in less than a half hour). It does video with voice, pics and has simple games. Right after buying these, we went to a wildlife park in the area. It is great to see what the kids think are important for pictures in our world. It's great watching them be creative with these.

Picture quality is not too bad for who this is designed for. Hooking up to the computer is a piece of cake! It will be great to throw all the pics of their world to CD's for them to see when they're older. The girls took great pics of themselves.

This is Highly Recommended!!! If you're torn between Fisher Price and Vtech, I'd select the Vtech over again!

2.0 out of 5 stars See for yourself, January 17, 2008
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Length:: 0:53 Mins

I would be happy with the camera as a toy if I hadn't paid $85 for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect "starter" camera for little ones, November 13, 2007
L. Owens (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Plus Digital Camera - Blue (Toy)
My 3 year old received this camera as a birthday gift and LOVES IT. That, in and of itself, makes the camera worth 5 stars. She is only able to turn it on and take pictures right now, but she is learning to go back and view previous pictures now. It is pretty easy. She has dropped it on several occasions and you cannot even see a mark where it hit the ground.

The cool thing for me is that when I go back and look at her pictures on the computer, I get a "glimpse" into her world... what she looks at and is interested in from her perspective. I love being able to see the world through her eyes!

I agree with previous reviewers:

- the picture quality is low

- pictures can turn out blurry if the camera isn't held steady

- pictures are "washed out" if the flash is used at a very close distance. I will say that you can change the flash settings and turn the flash off (which I don't think is a feature of other kid cameras), so I'll be teaching her how to do that when she is a little older and can grasp when to use a flash and when to turn it off

- You WILL lose all the pictures when the batteries die if you don't use an SD card and set it as the default. An SD card is a must!

Overall, this is a KID camera. It is a TOY. I do wish the picture quality was a little better, but have enjoyed watching my daughter's delight and independence with this camera. I'm pleased with the overall product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for little ones, October 21, 2007
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Plus Digital Camera - Blue (Toy)
We got this for our son for his 3rd birthday, and it's fantastic! After reading the reviews of the Fisher Price kid's digital camera, I started looking at this one. It has some great, fun features and is really easy to use. I especially like the frames and stamps you can add to photos either before or after you take the picture. "Adult" digital cameras should all have these features! As for our son, it took a little time to get him to understand how to use the basic features, but he's now a budding photographer.

UPDATE 9/19/2009: Our son is almost 5 now and he still uses this camera (when he can find it...). I LOVE that it turns itself off after a couple minutes of inactivity - saves us $$ on batteries! It's still working great, and I still highly recommend for anyone looking for a digital camera for their young'un. I'm sure you can find it for cheaper at a big-box store, I think I only paid $50. Don't pay $90 online.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, September 23, 2007
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Plus Digital Camera - Blue (Toy)
My four year old daughter loves this camera. The pictures are only fair and I'm on my second video cable from camera to the tv. I know it isn't user error because other things work. Still, My kid really loves it and it is better than the Fisher Price camera. Remember, If you get it and you are using the memory in the camera you must lay your pictures off before the battery runs out...I found out the hard way...tears and all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product!!, October 5, 2007
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Plus Digital Camera - Blue (Toy)
Bought this camera for my daughter's 5th birthday...she had been asking for a "real" camera like Mom's and Dad's. Definitely worth the money. I haven't even gotten into all the photo editing and software included but the instant gratification alone is worth it. She documented our entire family vacation - the camera holds many, many pictures! A great buy...highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE this toy!, September 2, 2007
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Plus Digital Camera - Blue (Toy)
I bought this for my son's 3rd birthday, and he has a blast with it. I only had to explain once how to use it, and he was off taking photos with no problem. His "action shots" come out blurry, but the stills look great. I haven't printed off any pictures yet, but we did hook the camera up to our 40 in TV and the images were great! My kids love the special editing tools, especially the one where they can distort the image. I have never seen them laugh so hard!!
So far the battery life seems great. The internal memory holds plenty of pictures, but I like the fact I can also use a memory card. We haven't done much with the movie making feature, my son prefers to take pictures.
Obviously this is a kids camera, so the quality isn't as great as my camera, but it is ssssooo much fun. My 7 year old son, and 10 year old niece love this camera too. Worth every penny!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera for Kids under 6-7, November 26, 2007
This review is from: VTech Kidizoom Plus Digital Camera - Blue (Toy)
Remember this is a KIDS camera...

Yes I do like the camera we got for our 4 yr old daughter. Target have them for $49.99 with the case included.

It takes pictures/videos, not the highest qualitly, and the flash is not great inside. It has some simple games and activities which are cool, and you can edit photos - really super tough, Our 20 month old son gives it heaps.

I guess the quality of photos is equivalent to a cell phone with photo capabilities, good and possible printable, but most fun to plug it into the tv and see what the kids have been looking at.

The only major problem I have with it is that the viewscreen doesn't quite align and if you point it at say a face, you might cut off the top of the head, (might just be our camera) but still a good buy and it will last for ages.

Remember to copy off the photos before the battery runs out or you will lose them.

Great buy would Recommend and I have it on my christmas lists for my nieces!

VTech Kidizoom Plus Digital Camera - Blue