Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports STEM

on March 12, 2013
Awful! Loud, chaotic, no real educational value, and worst of all not a flash light! Our baby discovered our flashlight and loves it, but he likes to shine it in his eyes and our real flashlight is too bright for that. We wanted a flashlight with a gentler light and more baby friendly form. This VTech flashlight absolutely did not deliver. First, it is not a flashlight, in that you press a button or switch and the light goes on. Instead, there are 3 numbered buttons and one ladybug button. When you hit any of these these buttons, the light flashes randomly (but does not stay on), and a riot of crazy beeps, chimes, and voices goes off. We had it on the quiet setting and even so, it drove us crazy just testing it. You cannot get the light to go on without the noises. It's also super confusingly designed. You'd think the ladybug, being on the handle and ergonomically where your thumb would be, would turn the light as long as its depressed, but no, it just brings on another seizure-inducing round of flashes and shrill noises. This was an immediate return.
1010 comments| 337 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2013
I found this toy to be way overstimulating. The flashing of the lights and the loud frantic music made this just too much for my son AND me. Theres no way to use this toy just as a flashlight with different colors, the music has to be on for it to work. The lights flash very rapidly with the different colors and the music was too loud (even on low) and frenetic- I couldn't stand it after 5 minutes. I sent it back.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2013
Pros: It flashes, plays music, sings, has three number buttons that can be pressed, makes some animal noises, and has a spinning dial. Very appealing to a toddler! Batteries pre-installed.

Cons: It does all of the above AT THE SAME TIME. The flashlight does not turn on separately from the sound effects, and does not function as a steady beam. It turns off automatically after 45 seconds of no input, but if your toddler puts it down it will keep making random noises (not *quite* constantly, but almost) to get the kid's attention. There are two volume settings, neither of which resembles soft. If received as a gift, I recommend testing it before taking it out of the box and giving it to your lucky kiddo.
on March 22, 2013
EDIT 6/1/2013: My son ended up playing with a light weight pocket flash light instead! it kept his interest and he could play with it for 30min in a dark room. I highly suggest buying one at target/home depot. Not only is it cheaper, but you can get the light weight ones that fit their small hands - you also don't have to worry about them accidentally dropping it and hurting their feet.

Pros:
- Durable, it has survived my 1 year old's abuse of banging. no color chips or dents. it's still working.
- Different colours of lights
- Not as bright as a regular flashlight (this is good so my son doesn't hurt his eyes when he tries to "look into the flashlight". but bright enough so it holds his attention.
- the weight of the flash light is just right. It's not heavy enough to hurt if dropped on the foot. but heavy enough that my son feels like he is carrying something.

Cons:
- I totally agree with a lot of the 1 star reviewers. this flashlight's music and sound does get annoying at some point (and i am someone who can sleep with the tv and lights on! )
it's a toy that really does "try too hard" (like a few v-tech toys I have brought). Every time you switch to a different coloured light you hear singing and talking. It never stops as long as the flashlight is on. even the volume on "low" it feels kind of loud. I just wish they had an off button for sounds so my son can just play with the lights. When it gets boring then, I can switch on the sounds. like with any toy, too much all at once doesn't hold attention for long.

I also have the Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Click 'n Learn Remote a lot of reviewers complain about how annoying that toy is. This is BY FAR more annoying. I thought the remote was totally tolerable and fine compared to this flashlight.

I would give this toy 5 stars if they had an off button for sounds.
on May 8, 2015
Too bright for toddlers. I mean really bright. I was hoping for something my daughter could play with in the car and while going to sleep at night since she has a bit of a fear of the dark. This is NOT what I had in mind. :( Also, as other reviews mention it does not function as a flashlight. I added two photos to prove my point. One with the camera flash on and the other with it off. I set the flashlight to blue which as far as I can tell is the dimmest of the colors. Even with the flash on you can't make out the shape of the bulb producing the light. I don't see how this passed US safety regulation standards.
review image review image
on December 2, 2012
I bought this for my 1 year old's birthday. She loves anything that lights up and plays music. The handle is easy to grip for little hands and the ring that changes the color of the light is easy for little ones to turn. It also has features that teach counting and different animals. It is a very cute idea for a toy that will be played with for a long time. I am sure my oldest will be playing with it too.
on June 18, 2015
I bought this flashlight because it was a best seller on Amazon. I wanted to teach my child how and when to use a flashlight, but what I found out was it's more of a toy or musical device, rather than a flashlight that a child can learn to use.

Pros:
Good sound and volume
Variety of animal options
Variety of buttons

Cons:
Not like an actual flashlight that can be left on and used to light up a dark area
Entertainment value : doesn't keep my child's attention very well

If you're looking for just another toy that plays music, this is a find choice. But don't expect your child to learn to use a flashlight from this thing.
on December 30, 2013
I thought this would be a flashlight with a few options for kids to learn a few things. Well it is a singing, flashing, light thing. I don't even think the flashlight stays on long enough for a child to find his way to the bedroom door. It "works" but not what I expected. I would not buy this again or recommend it as a flashlight. It was a gift for a grandson.
on December 3, 2012
Great toy, my two year old toddler plays with it but, doesn't care about the light. I didn't pay $30 maybe around $12 from Target...
on December 26, 2013
This is not what I had expected. This is NOT a actual flashlight in any capacity. It counts and stuff however I was hoping more for a flashlight than a light up kaleidoscope. My son was not impressed and he loves his father's flashlight. This toy was a big miss and will end up in the toy box of lonely toys never to be played with. What light it does produce is very dull as well.