Published on September 15, 2011 by D. Fowler

3.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed- another V learning toy.
It's about time they make a new V-whatever learning device! It's been at least 5 days!

Published on September 8, 2011 by Armando N. Roman

4.0 out of 5 stars The V.Reader is an excellent way to acquire reading strategies children need to become effective and confident readers ..., September 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When we opened up and started exploring the V.Reader, it was one of those wow moments. It was a mini Kindle that combines all the educational reading strategies that children need to have to become effective readers. If you are planning to give this as a gift, purchase four 4 "AA" batteries and a 2GB SD card as they aren't included. You'll also need a small flat head screwdriver to open the SD card cover. If you want, you can purchase a V.Tech 9 volt power adaptor if you don't want to go through a lot of batteries. There is also a V.Reader and MobiGo car charger available for a very reasonable price for families that are on the go frequently or are going on a trip. Not to be outdone by the Kindle, they also offer a tote for additional protection of the V.Reader.

This is what comes on the reader without any cartridges:

READING GAMES

Hello! Hola! Bonjour!

Opposites Attract

Same Sounds

Story Dictionary

The story dictionary is set up alphabetically. It can be accessed separately or right from the story via active, visual, oral, written definition of words. It also includes characters in the books. For example when a child looks up the name Rufus, we see a snoring dog, read his name, and read and listen to: "Rufus is a country dog who moved to the city with his family." If the name Rufus (in bold blue) is touched again the definition will be repeated. The more difficult vocabulary words are highlighted. The stories and games are interactive and fun. There is a light musical background and a woman reading the story.

The reading games encourage listening, careful reading, and make a child think. When a game is in progress or completed a child will be encouraged if he or she is successful when they hear "well done" or "you've got them all ..." The option to play again comes up when it is done. If a certain concept isn't mastered children have the opportunity to go back and work through a problem and improve. Certificates are also offered when a book is finished or a game is successfully completed. There is an icon that can be tapped to see them.

Downloadable books are reasonably priced, but the cartridges are a bit more pricey. At this point in time, the materials are set up for the three- to seven-year-old child. The materials are age appropriate and the titles available are of high interest. For example, we see story characters such as Dora the Explorer, Scooby Doo, Disney stories, and some classics such as The Little Engine That Could. Reading skills I can see include everything from letters to reading comprehension. Vtech seems to have done their research and I like what I see. The only thing you'll have to keep in mind is the additional expense of the cartridges, but education does come at a cost. This is F-U-N and an excellent way to motivate your young reader. This is an excellent tool for the homeschool set or a group tool for preschoolers or the lower grades.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed- another V learning toy., September 8, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

This is one of those products I didn't really want to get, but since it was through the Vine program, I didn't have much to lose. My daughter's been through several of the other Vtech game systems, but always lost interest after a few weeks. While Vtech makes some good devices here and there, I can't help but wonder what they could do if they stopped making new formats for even a year, and focused on the others that are already out, or just went with one 'ultimate' device that truly is worth your money.

The best thing about the V.Reader is that it's easy to use and works great. The screen displays things perfectly, animations are better than I expected, and the button format is perfect for my daughter to use. Audio is crisp and clear as well. Durability is 50/50 since it's sturdy for the most part, but one short fall on a hard floor and this thing will be toast. There's a decent selection of games at the moment, and I'm sure there will be many more by the end of the year, just in time for Chr...I mean, 'the holiday season'.

But there are some pretty big cons that keep this from being a solid purchase. First up, the batteries don't last more than a few hours, even with the volume low. I recommend getting some rechargeable batteries for this if your child really likes it, as buying 4 AA batteries on a regular basis is a chore. You can always get an AC adapter too if you'd like (you'd think that one would've been included, right?). An SD card is also needed if you plan on doing more than the sheer basics with the V.Reader, so there's more money you're pretty much required to spend on this thing. And as usual, no game was included with this. From what I've seen, the games for the V.Reader are overpriced considering how short they tend to be. My other complaint is that the touchscreen could be more sensitive. It's not terrible but needs improving.

In the end, with the cost of the V.Reader, SD card, batteries and just one game, you're going to be spending at least one Benjamin on everything. Unless your child runs over to try this out at the store all the time, I'd suggest getting something else, as it's a bit pricey to buy everything if they're going to lose interest after a while. My daughter's gotten much more out of educational games on my iPod, most of which were free(!), and she's -always- going for it, whereas the V.Reader hasn't been used in at least a week now, and we've had it for 3 weeks. If you already have one of the many Vtech learning systems and your children like it, keep buying games for it and ignore this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warranty; warranty; where's the warranty?, October 21, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: VTech - V.Reader Animated E-Book System (Toy)
If you are like me, you try find as much information as possible before making a purchase. I wanted to buy this for my grand-daughter's 3rd birthday, but I couldn't find out exactly what type of warranty the V Reader had. I even went to the VTech site and called the number that they had listed. If you are interested, the number is (800) 521-2010. You will find yourself connected to India (probably) and speaking with "Peggy". =] The only information she gave me, with her very heavy accent, was that the warranty would be "listed on a paper inside the box". Thanks "Peggy". Not.

I did buy the V Reader. I will write another review once my grand-daughter has had a good opportunity to use it, but here's what I found out about the warranty:
~The V Reader has a 1 year warranty that covers defective workmanship & materials.
(all vtech toys have 1 year warranty)
~Software support is only actually warrantied for 90 days.
~It is not covered for damage, wear & tear, etc that comes from misuse (no surprise here).
(It seems pretty sturdy and should hold up if reasonable care is used.)
~You MUST keep up with the RECEIPT, and my suggestion is to keep the box, too.
~You MUST register it online when you get it.

Again, I will leave a review on the usability, etc once I see my grand-daughter use it, but it seems sturdily built and a good value for the price. I'll let you know...

I compared this to:
My First Story Reader, from Baby Einstein
among several others

5.0 out of 5 stars V Reader is a huge success for us!, November 12, 2011
This review is from: VTech - V.Reader Animated E-Book System (Toy)
My daughter received this as a gift, and I don't think its been out of her hands since she got it. It is a quality educational toy, which is something I find is hard to locate these days. I was surprised to read someones comment on the battery life being short, as I just mentioned to my husband this morning about how long the batteries have lasted. (A five hour plane ride, plus two weeks of constant use, and we are still on the first set of batteries we put in!) My daughter's came with a free "book" (Cars 2) and three free book downloads on line, which I think is a good deal (Oh, and a $5.00 off coupon for any additional game). Plus, the "books" are only about $15 on Amazon... a hardcover picture book at Barnes and Noble put me back $17.99 last night, so I feel that the price is fair.
You can by a lot of cheap stuff out there, but it won't last, nor will it help to educate your child at all. This is worth every penny. It has a stylus that she can draw and work on her letters on the screen (with games for letters and words as well) and its pretty sturdy. I highly recommend this toy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously annoyed with this product, November 17, 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: VTech - V.Reader Animated E-Book System (Toy)
I rarely post up negative reviews but this product really pushed me too far.

VTech - V.Reader Animated E-Book System

At first I thought that this toy was excellent for my 3 year old. He loves to play computer games and reads way ahead of his age. He had so much fun playing on this toy and the educational games were great. HOWEVER, the battery life on this thing is horrible. We went through a ton of brand new batteries because it would constantly die. Also, the free games that you can download are horrible, so you just have to buy cartridges or let your child play the same games over and over that are already on the system.

Then after a couple of weeks, what happens? We get what's known as the "blue screen of death"! What is this? Well it's something you don't want happening to your child's toy, for sure. You turn it on and it gets stuck on a blue screen and can't be turned off. I look online and learn that many other people have had the same problem. I go to the FAQ and troubleshooting areas at the vTech website and they say you have to have a clean SD card and create a recovery disc on it. (Yet another thing they want you to purchase if you don't have an SD card already, luckily I did...) Actually, it really wasn' t luck because after doing that over 10 times, I still cannot get my son's system to work. When I put the recovery disc into my son's vReader, it says that the update has failed and that you have to hook it up to your computer and update the firmware! I plug it into computer and then it doesn't turn on at all and computer says nothing is connected!

I tried everything. Customer service for vTech is also horrible, new batteries don't do anything, I'm unable to make a recovery disc that works, and am still greeted with the dreaded blue screen. I'm considering just throwing the toy away.

I DO NOT recommend that anyone buy this toy for their child unless they are looking to be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on VTech, August 22, 2012
This review is from: VTech - V.Reader Animated E-Book System (Toy)
My daughter got the V.Reader as a gift for Christmas. It didn't work right out of the box. We returned it and got a new one. After a while, it would only turn on if we took the batteries out and put them back in. At this point, I no longer had the box it came in and could not return it. My daughter would hardly use it because it would never turn on. Now, when we turn it on we get a blank blue screen. Taking the batteries out and putting them back in does not help. We have all the cords for it and those don't make it work either. We have hardly used this thing. It is not worth the time and frustration. I'm dumping it in the trash and putting the cartridges we have for it on Freecycle. What a shame. I'll never buy a VTech product again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun novelty for young kids, September 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very good, educational-based toy that is great for kids around 7 and under. The basic concept is "e-reader for kids," and it encourages reading by making learning fun. The combination of visual graphics, words, and audio make for a very stimulating learning experience that kids are bound to enjoy. There are a number of reading games (nine in total, I believe) that come pre-installed on the device. This is enough to get a kid started, but if they really enjoy using the V.Reader, expect to be paying for additional downloads and/or cartridges. The device runs on 4 AA batteries, and it doesn't run for very long if used frequently. Rather than replacing batteries, if you have a kid (or kids) that love using this toy, invest in the Vtech AC adaptor. It's about twenty bucks, but it will be much better than replacing batteries all the time. Buying additional stories on cartridge will run about fifteen bucks per piece of software, so make sure your child enjoys using this before buying a whole library. There is enough to have plenty of fun with (for awhile) right out of the box.

Another highly recommended accessory is a carrying/storage case. Just like an adult with a Kindle, the V.Reader can easily become damaged when it is carried around. This is of course directly proportionate to how rough-and-tumble your kid is. They make carrying cases as well as the better investment - an accessory kit Vtech V.Reader Power and Travel Pack: V.Reader Power Adapters and Carrying Cases that will not only take care of the AC adaptor, but also add a car charger and nice carrying case and bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good toy, but a poorly made screen., September 28, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 5 year old girl thinks this is the greatest thing since sliced apples. My 3 year old girl has trouble with most of it but likes to watch the 5 year old. And my 2 year old boy doesn't even look at it. So that might give you an idea of what age groups this is for. The idea is cute and the games it comes with are nice. But the screen is very cheap! My daughter tried to use a pen with no point as a stylus and it ruined part of the screen. I would recommend this toy, but only with adult supervision or with a child who can understand the word "fragile!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Battery Hog, July 10, 2012
This review is from: VTech - V.Reader Animated E-Book System (Toy)
I have read the reviews on this product, and see a pattern with it being a problem toy. I haven't experienced any of these products. My son has had his for 2 years now (maybe the problems are with newer models?), its taken a beating... spilled milk, dropped on the ground, stepped on... and its still chugging along, albeit some nicks and scratches. We've got about 5 different books, and have downloaded about a dozen to the SD card and all play fine. My only gripe is that it eats batteries. My son plays with this in the car, and I only get a week or so out of 4 batteries.

3.0 out of 5 stars High using cost, December 31, 2011
Gift ASAP (Bay Area, California, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech - V.Reader Animated E-Book System (Toy)
I bought this for my daughter for Christmas 2011.

The device is ok and educational overall. There are 2 things I want future buyers to know, also reasons why didn't give this higher rating.

1. High using cost: The device doesn't come with a story cartridge nor an SD memory card. Thus, although you're given 3 free downloads, you can't download/store those stories until buying an SD card. That's additional cost right there. Plus, it operates on 4 AA batteries and the batteries run out fast. You can buy the AC adaptor, and that's additional cost. But think about it, who, especially kids, wants to play with the adaptor connected. Buying more ebooks will understandably cost you more.

2. Device/app/website usability:

The device:
I couldn't find the option to stop the story from being read by the reader. I want my daughter to read the story like a regular book but couldn't do it, so we ended up pausing the story, but that would add a gray layer on top of the text and made it very hard to read.

The app:
The app/software, although works fine, is unnecessary. An online account, then the app, then an account inside the app is pretty redundant. I'm pretty conscious with installing software on my computer, thus this a negative point by me.

The website:
The manual asks you go to [...] to download the software regardless of what device you have. When I first land on the download page, Innotab was the first app. Thus by clicking right away on the PC/Download or MAC/Download I accidentally made myself download the Innotab software and install it. Then after that found out it's the wrong software. There was no instruction text saying something like "Please select your device from the list below, then click the download button to download the correct software..."

VTech - V.Reader Animated E-Book System