Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Price:$69.95+ $5.49 shipping

on November 16, 2006
This was the first toy I got for my 3 y old daughter so she can learn to write and it was awesone she learn to write the letters in less than a month. I sat with her at the biginnig but then I found her playing with it by herself many times. The only thing is that it only have the upper case letters not the lower. But it was a very good toy!
on October 18, 2008
We received this as a gift for my son's 5th birthday. My son has Autism, and until we got this toy he had no interest in writing letters. Now, he turns it on and comes to get me to help him write. He still isn't doing it independently, but with my hand guiding him, he's getting better at writing. Most importantly, he's excited about writing now. I've begun having him use the toy to give him the instruction, but write the letter on paper instead of the toy's pad. This will help him transition to writing in school.
on January 12, 2008
We ordered this toy after reading some of the reviews. We were looking forward to having our son start using this toy to help him improve his writing skills. We were disappointed to find out that the writing recognition technology (even though it works great) does not recognize the correct letters written. For example, we were practicing the letter G. We wanted to see what happened if we entered a wrong letter. After entering an "A" instead of "G" and pressing the check mark, the toy claimed a correct response. This is very misleading for young writers. Other things we did not like about the toy were its tiny screen and the fact that it only teaches upper case letters. We did like the fat grip pen and the spoken and visual directions. Over all the toy is fun and education, but we would like to see Vtech fix or improve these issues.

Thanks
on January 29, 2007
I came across this item in a toy store and I was SO excited because my (nearly) 3 year old son has been showing an interest in writing his letters and numbers. I do think this the toy IS really cute, and my son would probably enjoy it. However, I decided to test it first. And I was initially delighted when it spoke back to me (knowing my son would like that). What stopped me from purchasing it though, was when I intentionally wrote a letter wrong to see what it would say, it told me "good job" or something to that effect. I'm still unsure if that's a good thing or bad thing (?) So that has made me hesitant to buy it, although I am still considering doing so...

I think it would be great if it included lower case letters and numbers.
on July 2, 2007
I have not given my daughter this toy yet, but was somewhat disappointed when I received it and played around with it. It shows you how to draw a letter or shape and then asks you to draw it. I tried drawing the letter or shape completely wrong and it still told me I did great or it was very good practice. It could at least say, "not quite" or "try again". I am afraid that whatever my daughter draws, based on the toy's feedback, she will think she drew the correct thing, when in fact she may not have.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 28, 2007
We have two toys that teach writing, the L-max game "letters on the loose" and this game (which is far less expensive by comparison). There are pros and cons to both...

I like this one because it is not such a stickler for precicison, in fact it doesn't have the ability to know when you have done it wrong, so any time a letter or shape is tried, it congratulates you. With the L-max, if you don't get it within a certain range of correctness it makes you start over! Sometimes with a very young child that can be discoraging, but as my son gets older I will probably come to appreciate the feature more.

This toy lets you draw letters, shapes and pictures- which is a nice change up and then you can see what you have done on the screen and once complete the shape "wiggles". The only problem is that if the child does not press hard enough the image does not fully appear on the screen.

Another issue is that I will worry that the cord that the pencil is connected with will fray or break off, but that is a long ways off (I hope.)
on January 9, 2007
I gave this toy as a gift to a child who was 2 and a half years old. He loved it and my 18 month old daughter couldn't keep her hands off it. I will be ordering one for her for her 2nd birthday. It is great to have an educational toy that is so liked by the kids! Definitely a good buy!
on January 7, 2007
My 3 year old son got this for Christmas. I really like it and think it's a great toy---it shows them how to draw/write and then has an area to draw it themselves. My son likes it although he wants to watch me do it but hopefully as he gets older he'll feel more comfortable doing it himself. I do wish it had a volume control on it b/c there are times it could be a little quieter. Overall I am very pleased with this and do recommend....especially for the price.
on October 11, 2011
I bought two of these in 2008 for my two younger kids. They were about to go to preschool and can tell you if these survived the test of time. Initially, my kids didn't get the concept and weren't really into even though I showed them how it worked. But the last year or so, they have really enjoyed this as they were both learning how to write and really liked it. These have been thrown around, tossed at each other (time outs shortly thereafter), stepped on and spilt on but also played with until the batteries died and in the end, they learned how to write. Very pleased with this as most toys last a year if that and then, onto the next greatest invention.
on October 17, 2009
I was dissapointed in this toy. My daughter needs handwriting practice (age 6). But the toy leaves behind a lighted echo of the previous letters your child writes. After a few letters, the lines begin to blend together and the child can't see clearly what they're writing anymore. After some use (a few days), the screen begins to misread the child's writing. It's a wonderful idea but it needs some work. Without a "clear" screen free of echoes of previous letters - your child can't see clearly what they are writing. Which defeats the purpose of teaching them how to precisely write their letters. :(

I returned ours to the store.
review image