5.0 out of 5 stars My son like this writing toy - a first for us...
My son is 3 1/2. He has no attention span and likes things that involve running, jumping, etc. It is difficult to get him to do anything that involves little physical movement. However, he seems to like this toy. We have had it about a 3 days and this is my take on it.

Pros:

* It has both capital and lower case letters
* The writing surface is...
Published on December 29, 2011 by Baby B's Mom

1.0 out of 5 stars Very POOR writing model!
First, I taught PreK through 3rd grade for 10 years prior to being a mom... with that said: DO NOT BUY THIS TOY if you want your child to learn good writing habits! Seriously, please read this before you consider buying it!

Published on May 7, 2012 by J March

1.0 out of 5 stars Very POOR writing model!, May 7, 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet (Toy)

I mistakenly bought this for my own 2-3year old son without thoroughly checking out its full features. Although he really does like it, it's going back! The positibve benefits do not outweigh the negatives in terms of educational/instructional value.

PROS:
-encourages tracing with a pen stylus or finger touch on the screen
-includes a three sided, triangular pen, which is helpful to help start a correct early pen/pencil grasp
-easy to see screen, step by step instructions to form shapes, lower case and upper case letters (NOTE: SEE CONS BELOW regarding odd letter formation directions and modeling!)
-does engage my son (he keeps it in the bathroom as a special potty toy while he's busy "working", never gets old, will cry when it's gone)
-so far durable over several months of use and some accidental drops on hard tile floor and grabbing it by the stylus string
-has a free draw feature & a "make the picture dance/wiggle/jump" feature that moves your creation up and down a bit after drawing
--continuously positive praise for all attempts of writing/scribbling/drawing
-encourages shape and letter identification, plus beginning words that start with the corresponding letter

CONS:
-terrible letter formation modeling (make two lines down, then connect them in the middle to make a capital M!? NO way! Just one example. Several more!)
-child will have to unlearn bad habits and relearn properly when faced with school instruction, no matter what printing method is taught--every teacher from every district I've talked about this with agrees!
-loud volume, even when adjusted to lowest setting
-includes shapes, upper & lower case letters, no numbers (do they need to keep it separate to make more $ and force you to buy a different game toy?!)
-no tracking or way to self check w/ only positive praise (my son can color the entire screen dark and it says "great job!")
-absolutely no correlation connecting the lower case letters with the upper case letters, even though they are the same button, the two functions are entirely different and do not come together to help build this matchup for young learners.

Not recommended. Still looking for a better substitute! Do let me know if you happen to know of one, please. Thanks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My son like this writing toy - a first for us..., December 29, 2011
This review is from: VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet (Toy)

Pros:

* It has both capital and lower case letters
* The writing surface is easy to use and accurate
* It tell my son he has done a great job when he actually traces the letter correctly. If he does a poor job on the letter and hits the check to say his is done, it asks him to retry tracing the letter.
* It seems durable and has already taken a tumble out of the van door into a puddle. It is working fine.
* It has a shape tracing and free draw activity. There is also a hiding letter game which is good.
* you can turn down the volume.

Cons: Just a few...
* I wish that it started in the capital letter activity instead of requiring the child to select it.
* I wish that they had the same device but added a number activity to it
* The little pen is a bit thick for my son
* I wish that it did not say "see ya" when it was turned off. My son has started saying that which is annoying and he keeps turning it on and off just to hear the "see ya." It really is not the game's fault he knows how to push my buttons ;) However, I do not like slang so I would have preferred something like "I'll see you later" or "until next time"

5.0 out of 5 stars best for learning letters, January 15, 2012
This review is from: VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet (Toy)
I purchased the leap frog letter learning tablet before purchasing this one and was very disappointed. This letter tablet is far superior. The leap frog tablet uses a series of lights under the screen that light up and the child traces the dots, leaving a irregular pattern on many letters. In my opinion this teaches the child to make the shape of the letter wrong. This vtech tablet has the letters shaped correctly, so the child learns to write the letter correctly. This one fact was so important that I got rid of the leap frog and gave my daughter the vtech for Christmas. She loves it, spends so much time learning her letters. There are some child game systems out there that offer letter tracing as a part of the system, but I found this a better option for my daughter because I wanted her to focus on the letter writing and not be distracted by the other games.

5.0 out of 5 stars my son loves it!, September 7, 2011
This review is from: VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet (Toy)
i just bought this yesterday at walmart and my son 2 1/2 loves it he quickly learned to trace the letters he just recently learned most of his alphabet so he gets excited that he recognizes them and holds his attention for a long time, which is very hard at this age another idea to add are tracing workbooks or free printables online.I will say i was already going to buy the leapfrog version but saw this one and saw no reviews so i went to walmart to try both of them out im so glad i did this one is far better in my opinion, sometimes its better to try at store and specially if its approved from your loved one :). Remember if your son/daughter are not interested wait a couple months and he/she will surprise you and start using it, speak for everything in general I know how hard we as parents want our children to learn but they know when they are ready.
By the way rated in durability 4 stars because i've had it for two days only so we'll see but if you've had or have any vtech toys you know that are long lasting!

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 year old son loves it, October 13, 2011
This review is from: VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet (Toy)
My son played with this at his cousins house and seemed to really like it. His aunt highly recommended it as her girls loved it. So we bought it and my 3 year old and 5 year old use it a lot. I'd say 3 years is about the age for this toy. I find it above average in the educational department as well, it really is very good at teaching him how to write his letters. There are quite a few different play modes, but we have only used one. It's very well constructed and should last a long time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great learning toy--but not durable!, October 24, 2011
Shazie (massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet (Toy)
My 3.5 y.o. loves this. He can spend a long time practicing how to draw his letters and shapes. I could get him to trace letters w/just a pen and paper so I bought this and he took to it right away. He also has recently started enjoying the game on there that has you guess which letter is hiding behind the animal. Problem is that it's cheaply made. A few months after purchasing, many of the buttons don't won't (and no, it's not a battery issue).

4.0 out of 5 stars wish the screen lit up..., January 11, 2013
This review is from: VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet (Toy)
Got this for my 3 year old. She likes the games, and they are educational...BUT, she likes to play it in the car, but since the screen doesn't light up she can't play it in the dark and gets frustrated and cries. We have the Vtech tablet and that DOES light up...really wish this one did too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, December 4, 2012
This review is from: VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet (Toy)
One of the best toys i have purchase for my 4 year old in a long time. i had a choice between this and the Leapfrog version but after reading several reviews from different websites i choose the VTech. Its durable and engaging for a child like mine that is rough and can't sit still. It is the first toy he reaches for when he comes through the door.

There are two things though that they can improve on:
1) the size of the screen; the leapfrog version has a much larger screen
2) contrast on the screen; it is hard to see in some lighting situations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for learning to write!, October 5, 2012
Kindle Customer (Longview, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet (Toy)
I bought this for my little boy's 3rd birthday because he has fine-motor difficulty. He hasn't had much interest--or success--with coloring or writing (he's working on making vertical marks in OT), but he LOVES electronics. We are hoping this writing toy will be a good means for helping him with writing. So far what we've seen is that the touch screen doesn't seem to be quite sensitive enough to consistently pick up his marks--it will mark separated dots when he tries to draw a line. Also, he hasn't been successful finding the check mark that substitutes for an "enter" key. I'm hoping he will figure out that part soon. However, he enjoys playing with it, and it does plenty of other interesting things, like talk about the letters, play songs, and make animal sounds to keep him coming back to it. I suppose that is my favorite thing about it: even though he isn't really interested in writing, the toy is engaging enough that he keeps coming back to it and attempting to write when he's playing with it.
I also really love the bulky TRIANGLE pencil (stylus). Its triangular shape helps him hold the pencil closer to the correct way to hold a real pencil.
Also, it seems to be pretty durable. He has dragged it around by the pencil several times, and it's been thrown hard enough that the batteries popped out, but it still worked.
Finally, my 5 year old whose kindergarten teacher is pushing correct letter writing really enjoys it. She can sit and work on the harder letters that really frustrate her. I think this would be a great toy for kids who are really frustrated with writing letters. It walks you through the letter shape, step by step, and leaves guidelines on the screen to follow. More importantly, it is not a mother or a teacher who is nagging about getting it just right; it is a computer, and you can't argue with a computer!
There are two things I wish it had: numbers and an enter key. Other than that, it is a GREAT toy!

4.0 out of 5 stars great!, December 27, 2013
This review is from: VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet (Toy)
I like this toy but my 3 yr old isn't occupied by it for long so I think I bought it just a little bit earlier than I should of. but I think its a really neat toy!

VTech - Write And Learn Touch Tablet