5.0 out of 5 stars HANDS DOWN BEST MONITOR UNDER 200$
After spending about 10+ hours doing nothing but comparing hundreds of monitors taking their specs and design into consideration (I know I have no life), I ended up choosing this monitor, and I'm very happy that I did.

Published 19 months ago by Challenge Accepted

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Cant say much it had dead pixels on arrival
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Box Person

5.0 out of 5 stars HANDS DOWN BEST MONITOR UNDER 200$, March 2, 2013
This review is from: ASUS VX238H 23-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor (Personal Computers)

I don't often write reviews on amazon so cut me some slack, but I decided to add to the flawless 5 star 11/11 reviews I already saw for this monitor because it deserves it. I do believe this is the best monitor you can get for under 200$ at this time.

I shouldn't have to go over the stats, but in case you haven't bothered to look, this monitor is a 23" Asus with 1080p LED, and 1 ms repsonse time (gtg), so it's great for gaming. I watched Avatar on it, and it looks amazing. I have also played Skyrim on it, and that looks really good as well. The fast response time is very noticable when gaming which is one of the reasons I chose this monitor, I haven't noticed any ghosting or anything like that.

*80 million to 1 contrast ratio, (better than the common 10 or 50 million among many other monitors).

*The design is beautiful, this thing is very thin, and the stand is very sturdy despite how it looks.

*The picture will need adjusted after you hook it up, and I'd recommend turning the backlight down a bit.

*I like that it has 2 hdmi ports, (so one for my computer and one for my PS3/Xbox360.

*I haven't encountered a single dead pixel, which I am very happy about.

*Like many tv's, this monitor has a "game mode", "theatre mode", "standard mode" ect... to quickly adjust the picture if you don't feel like tinkering with it.

I recommend this monitor for gamers who want a beautiful display and fast repsonse time but maybe don't have 1000$ laying around to shell out on a higher resolution monitor, which makes this one perfect. And I will stand by what I say, this is the best "under 200$" monitor out there right now, and I chose it because of the beautiful design, the amazing specs, the great price, and the (so far) flawless reviews it has.

My only "grump" is that I wish there was a 27" version with the same specs...

Unless you get a defect, I can't see anyone giving this anything less than 5 stars...

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a Great Monitor, January 22, 2013
FIrst of all, I am not some ASUS employee, just clarifying.
I bought this monitor because I wanted to upgrade from my 1680x1050 clunky old monitor
And boy is it change!
Gaming on this puppy is intense especially with the 1ms response time. No ghosting. period. The 80,000,000 contrast ration makes colors extremely vibrant.
The quality is also great for movies and casual PCers (yeah i just said that, deal with it).
The Monitor also comes with cool feature which allows me to switch between different preset settings that are fit for certain things, for example a Gaming setting and a Movies setting.
As for problems, there are none. No dead pixels, worked on arrival.
Great monitor 10/10 would bang again
BTW i made an unboxing video
I may get banned for posting this but it's quite helpful to see the monitor
/watch?v=XuiN0a_Nm_0

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Price to Performance Ratio, March 26, 2014
I'll get straight to the point. If you are looking for a monitor under $200, this is it. Great picture, excellent contrast, and was pretty much the ideal size for me. If you want specifics, this is a great monitor for a 1080p computer gamer and their regular pc needs. I would say the only reason you shouldn't buy this is if your needs are lower or higher than that. Serious movie and photo editing deserves something a little more substantial, but that's why some monitors are $500+. If you don't want to play games on your pc, look for something cheaper. This is specifically made for a budget gamer looking for an awesome picture with what I would call a low to medium range budget.
I have found that the best settings are;
Brightness: 30
Splendid demo mode: off
Eco mode: off

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome montior, but not mountable, June 11, 2013
J. Barker (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This montior is awesome for the price.

Please be aware that if you wish to mount it, it is not compatible with VESA mounting hardware as there are no holes in the back to attach a bracket. I had to return mine for a refund, sadly.

4.0 out of 5 stars An in Depth and Critical Review about the ASUS VX238H 23"., January 17, 2014
So this review is going to go over the Pros, the Cons, and the overall experience with this monitor.

.-`:OVERVIEW:`-.
I originally purchased this monitor a few months ago, and I'm going to say it now, it definitely is a great monitor... however, it was only after a few months that the flaws slowly came out. TL:DR at the bottom.

.-`:PROS:`-.

~~~The monitor has a 1ms response time~~~
~I originally purchased this monitor because it has 1ms response time and is perfect for fighting games and games that require extremely precise frame inputs. And this monitor delivers. I play fighting games and input based games competitively, and a single frame missed, can cost the match. And because of that, the monitor performs as good as, if not better than the BenQ monitor.

~~~The quality control is superb~~~
~I personally have two of them, and I have set up over a dozen of them for competitive gaming in our tournaments and found that they were perfect. Asus seems to have really good quality control on dead pixels and defects. And the best part? No bleeding or flashlighting around the edges.

~~~Good Stand~~~
~The stand is very solid and it is well made. They don't feel flimsy and cruddy like the other stands on monitors at this price range. Though they may be slightly crooked as one of mine were. A little bit of paper under the stand fixed that right up. Oh and they aren't detachable, which makes them more durable.

~~~It's Matte~~~
~Please... never ever get a glossy/glass screen for gaming or everyday use. Glossy/glass screens, as I've personally experienced, are terrible because they have TERRIBLE reflection, and eventually give you a headache and are distracting from having to look beyond the reflected image. It's true, with glossy/glass screens the colors pop out more and it feels higher quality... but beyond that... stick to matte. As for gaming, you want to have matte because you need to see the details with clarity and not be distracted by the reflections. However, Glossy screens are great when you wanna watch videos and multimedia.

.-`:CONS:`-.

~~~No VESA Mount~~~
~I originally bought two to put on my desk, but after some time, I eventually got a different third one (which has a VESA mount) for triple monitor gaming... but I was extremely disappointed that this monitor doesn't come with the standard VESA mount. The Sundial stand, while sturdy, take up a bunch of space on the table, and because of their awkward circular and sloped shape, there's really no way to make up for the lost space on the table. Although it is a great place to put things inside the sundial; such as figurines and mice. You're going to have to unscrew remove the entire bezel, and really modify this thing to get it to mount it somewhere (which voids the warranty and can cause some serious damage). The stand is not detachable!

~~~Panel Lottery~~~
~While quality control is good; no dead pixels or defects, there definitely is a slight difference between the two panels that I had received. One has a slight tinge more of green and the other one is more red when viewed straight on. The chances of getting two panels that are identical are pretty slim. Though, panel lottery is a pretty common with manufacturers. I'm very critical about my monitors, so it may be unnoticeable to others.

~~~Viewing Angle/Color Reproduction~~~
~While the viewing angle is great, the colors become extremely washed out or they color shift on different angles. This is standard with LED screens of these kind. But for graphic design and triple monitor setups, this monitor really falls flat. The reproduction to print is impossible with these. I know they aren't marketed for graphic design and they do have pro monitors with proper color reproduction... but an IPS display will get you much richer colors with better viewing angles (at 2ms with the VS238H-P model) which really wouldn't make that much of a difference if you aren't a competitive player. This monitor looked TERRIBLE next to my IPS panel and my color calibrated Cintiq. The preset features make the screen initially look extremely green and unlifelike. And the initial color setting on this monitor was CRAZY high. It was burning my eyes out. A setting of 30-40 was more realistic for brightness. If you were to use this monitor alone, you probably couldn't tell how inaccurate it is. After some tinkering, I got it pretty close to accurate colors..

.-`:TL:DR:`-.

This monitor is a great monitor for it's price (when it's on sale!).
It has a lot of general benefits and is a jack of all trades.
It's a great monitor for competitive tournaments because they're easy to carry around and setup and have crazy response times.

it lacks VESA mounting holes which can be a deal breaker for multi monitor setups.
It's stand is not detachable.
Not good for graphic designers who need color accuracy.
Wide viewing angles are great, but far off compared to the quality of IPS when it comes to holding the color.

.-`:My Opinion:`-.

~This monitor is good for a hardcore competitive gamer (those that are out there to win money and need the proper equip).

~If you aren't a hardcore competitive gamer, get the VS238H-P, it's way better on every level at the cost of a slightly more flimsy stand and 2ms response time compared to 1ms.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH~

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Use Smart View, March 25, 2014
The first few weeks I had this monitor, I felt like I'd made a mistake buying it. I tried repeatedly to adjust it using the onscreen menu but even with my best adjustments the contrast was low and the colors overly saturated. About the 10th time I tried readjusting the picture, I turned Smart View off. Bam, I had plenty of contrast and could reduce the color saturation to a more reasonable level.

My conclusion is that this is a good monitor for the price, but the documentation should better explain the use of the various modes and adjustments. They are not as obvious as one would think,

5.0 out of 5 stars PS4 looks amazing on it., January 18, 2014
Couldn't be any more pleased! Bought it exclusively for my PS4. My only complaint is the controls are not very intuitive. This is very minor overall. Great picture, sturdy stand, aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I spent hours debating between several monitors in this class and do not regret my choice in the least. Just buy one already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor, February 17, 2013
The monitor works great easy to use and setup and looks very good. I bought it mostly to play my PS3 and switch to my desktop computer. The monitor supports 2 simultaneous hdmi connections (up to 3 total if you also use the vga connection for a pc) which makes it easy to enjoy the highest settings on my devices. When you stop nit-picking everything and realize that game menus aren't everything, the graphics look great on my games and cpu and above all performance is VERY SMOOTH . I am very happy with my purchase and will consider buying more than one of these if I need to.

My only real dislike concerns the fact that the monitor arrived with scratches in the back. Thankfully the screen itself arrived unharmed. At the very bottom there is a negligible one-pixel tall line that is a few shades lighter than the rest of the screen. Another small gripe is that my pc speakers won't connect to the ps3 via the monitor AND also play pc audio when I switch. The monitor disables the audio ports when hdmi cables are connected. In other words, I just keep my speakers plugged into the cpu and use the monitor speakers or ps3 headset when I play PS3 instead of re-plugging my speakers from cpu to the monitor. I would give this more like a 4.5 or 4.75 out of 5 because of non-video performance issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 17, 2013
Awesome product for the price. I bought this monitor for gaming and sold my 2010 samsung 46" LED TV 8000 series due to the input lag in game mode. After playing on this monitor, I couldn't feel the input lag (10ms response time). Don't get confused about gtg which is 1ms, some people confuse it with input lag. Gtg is pixel rendering and I didn't see any ghosting in any fast paced gaming. This monitor compared to other monitors also has a high contrast ratio which is 80,000,000 to 1. Other monitors are typically range from 20,0000,000 to 50,000,000 to 1. Another thing that I love is the slim profile. FYI the have a white version of this monitor.

The only con is that there is no VESA mount, however this is a similar model with the same specs but without the slim factor.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, January 12, 2013
I had horrible luck with the VS247H-P and VS248H-P... three displays, all dead pixels.

This one though, is PERFECT!

The look of it is so awesome, and the display itself is amazing.

Stop waiting and buy it!

ASUS VX238H 23-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor