5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece
Vaccine Nation by David Lender is quite possibly the best book I've read this year. It is definitely among the titles that comprise my list of all-time great books I have read.

Published on December 26, 2011 by Tracy Riva

1.0 out of 5 stars LAME!
Any book that purports to the false theory that vaccines cause autism is not a book worth reading. I couldn't finish it because it was so LAME!! Don't waste your money.
Published 23 months ago by Lauree D.

1.0 out of 5 stars LAME!, March 5, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Vaccine Nation (Kindle Edition)

In Vaccine Nation Dani North is documentary filmmaker and an advocate for parents who want the choice of whether their children should be vaccinated and who want more information made available about the safety of those vaccines. Dani has just landed on top of the story of the year, only she doesn't know it, what she does know is moments after handing off a mysterious flash drive to her the scientist who placed it in her hands is killed right in front of her. Before she even has time to consider what might be on the flash drive an attempt is made on her life and she's on the run from a killer who will stop at nothing to retrieve the data Dani now possesses.

Lender is a master storyteller weaving together fact and fiction to create a totally plausible story. My heart was racing within reading the first pages of this wonderful work of fiction and it didn't slow down until the very end. I was enthralled by the story and found myself wondering time and again where fact ended and fiction started, because, scarily, the scenario Lender paints in Vaccine Nation absolutely could happen.

Lender is an exceptional talent whose stories rank him alongside the very best names in thrillers - names like Thomas Harris, Robert Ludlum, Dennis Lehane, John le Carre and Lee Child. He writes broadly across the thriller category and he never fails to deliver a spine-tingling story that is so scary because it is so believable, so well-researched and extremely well-written.

If you only have time to read one story this year I would make certain it is Vaccine Nation. It is a magnificent piece of literary fiction that will leave you fearing the big name pharmaceutical companies and the power they wield over each and every one of our lives. I offer it my highest recommendation and I have nothing but praise for Vaccine Nation and David Lender.

2.0 out of 5 stars Writing ok, poor research on subject, February 1, 2012
This review is from: Vaccine Nation (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy reading about these things, because I love to read and, being more than a little familiar with the medical industry (see my disclosures at the bottom), I like to hear all sides.

This book was VERY unbalanced, which, though it's fiction, is sad, because people tend to believe these kinds of things are based in truth (especially when, like this author, they bring in some things based on fact). I would really like to have the author look at evidence based (not just those funded by big pharm companies either) studies AND the difference in childhood mortality rates between vaccinated and unvaccinated nations. We can't compare children in the US, because we enjoy a "herd" vaccination - the majority of kids are vaccinated, which protects those that aren't (and those who, like my sister's son who has a major heart problem, cannot be vaccinated).

Anyway, that was more than I meant to say on that subject. To be fair, this book isn't quite as "preachy" about the subject as some books I've read, and didn't really get in the way of the plot (though I thought some things were overstated). The writing was ok - it was actually edited and had some good dialog, but the characters were shallow and ... well, the good was too good and the bads were too bad. I like my characters to have a little depth and reality. The second star is because it was exciting throughout, and, though a few things happen too conveniently, does have the thriller mentality.

So, to disclose all: no, I don't like big pharmacy companies for many reasons, yes, I'm a nurse practitioner, but (don't tell) I didn't stick exactly with the CDC vaccine schedule for my son, though I do believe vaccines are important, I (almost) always start with nonpharmacologic treatments for just about everything that walks in my door (because SO MANY of our health problems could be fixed with simple things like healthy diets and exercise), and I'm very understanding of the concerns of parents. So I like to think that I keep a balanced view of things.

But now I feel guilty about giving a second star to something so inaccurate that makes my job harder ... wish I could educate the author, though - I think he has potential.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting to read. Well done, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Vaccine Nation (Kindle Edition)
Very interesting and exciting to read. Makes you think of life as it is today. History can be explained in various ways, sometimes in a fictional book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Read, February 5, 2012
This review is from: Vaccine Nation (Kindle Edition)
I have been a little surprised by reading some of the reviews of this book. I am particularly surprised by the reviews of people that appear not to like the book simply because of its premise regarding the Pharma industry and vaccines. It makes me wonder:
1) How many of the Pharma supporters have read the book?
2) Whether people understand that the book is a work of fiction whose purpose is to entertain its readers?
3) If people understand that this isn't the first book whose premise is that a certain industry and its leaders might be corrupt? Does this not make for an interesting story? And is this why other authors use this technique?

It also would not surprise me if David Lender is trying to get people to think. Perhaps he is sounding a warning and hoping people might look into his whether vaccines are safe or not. What is the harm in that? Only a fool would read a book of fiction and suddenly change everything they do or believe. But it also only the fool that believes everything they hear is true. Why do people snigger when they hear the joke "I'm from the Government and here to help?" How many people discovered that they can use a credit card to buy their dreams, but those dreams can become nightmares if they do? Perhaps the Pharma industry is also evil, perhaps it is not, maybe it is even a little of both. What is wrong with writing a book that might make someone take the time to get a little education and form their own opinion? OK, off my soapbox now.

As far as the book went, I enjoyed it. I found it a fun, fast read that kept me engaged. One thing I like to do when reading a book like this is to think through whether it is plausible, particularly when someone is "running," I felt like that was the case in this story. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but I would like to have seen Richard Blum's character take a "little" different direction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor - Choose wisely whether you may trust this book, February 4, 2012
This review is from: Vaccine Nation (Kindle Edition)
Let me say first that I am a physician, as opposed to the author, a toxicologist, and a pediatrician. I have also been recognized as an expert in vaccines by the Department of Justice, speaking FOR the injuries vaccines may cause. That being said, I would advise the reader of this book to be careful about its assertions. Let me elaborate:

1) Vaccines do incredible good. I must look back 50 years or so to remember a case of paralytic polio, or congenital rubella. Most doctors never see a case of tetanus, or diphtheria, or mumps. Varicella (chickenpox) is no longer seen anywhere in the world. Countless lives are spared and children are releived of lifetimre burdens by the immunizations that have eradicated by immunization administration.

2) Paranoid fear of vaccines has done incredible harm. We are now seeing deaths do to pertussis (whooping cough) a disease long on the wane because immunization rates are dropping. Carriers pass the disease to pregnant mothers who have limited immunity, who give the disease to their infants who are too young to immunize. These infants are vulnerable to the disease, and represent a mortally injured population ... two deaths this year in my hospital alone. The unimmunized child next door may transmit indirectly his carriage of the bacterium to vulnerable unimmunized infants. There is more. The mortality to rubeola (measles) in third world nations exceeds the rate of death due to ALL CAUSES in the US ... principally a consequence of low immmunization rates. Once I had to show residents pictures of the rash in books. The disease is re-emerging in the US because of the fear of rare (or unproven) complications.

3) Complications are very rare. All medical treatments have side-effects. Most of the serious complications of immunizations have an incidence of less that 1 in 100,000 children. The background rate of unanticipated childhood illnesses is very similar, and it is often difficult to tell a vaccine reaction from an inherited or idiopathic illness. The risk of meningitis due to Hemophilus influenza was near 1 per 100 children before immunization. The odds ratio of illness to complication is 100:1. Are you a betting Man or Woman? Bet on getting the immunization.

4) A lot of bad science fuels the counter-immunization culture. Much of the science that has reached the popular literature has been discredited. The principle article asserting a relationship between autism and immunizations was withdrawn by the journal that published it, after the author's work was questioned. The article is still widely quoted, despite its scientific flaws. This has been the case with multiple immunizations and multiple complications. Human nature wants to find a reason for a child's developmental or medical problems, and it is easy to blame immunizations. Speculation and mistrust feed the furor over vaccines.

5) You owe. None of us wants to pay taxes, but we do so, and as a consequence we have roads, schools and public safety. We debate the amount of tax we should pay, but none of us believe seriously that it should be $0. The same is true of immunizations. We do not close our schools or public meeting places every winter because we no longer fear polio. We no longer worry about our child being sterilized by mumps, or being born with malformations, or dying of measles pneumonia. We are immunized to protect ourselves, but also do so to contribute to the society at large. This is not true everywhere; children in Africa who cannot acquire polio immunization still are paralyzed as a consequence of low immunization rates. Fear of being the 1 in 100,000 does not spare the consciencious citizen from the obligation to contribute to public health by immunizing one's children. We have convenient rules that allow us to live productively in a society, understanding that freedom confers obligations ... like driving in the right lane, or stopping at a red light. Immunizations are such an obligation, that, if deferred by everyone, would cause a public health catastrophe.

6) One doesn't want to take the risk of remaining unimmunized. How would you feel if your child were admitted to the ICU and was placed on a ventilator with whooping cough? How would you feel if your daughter developed cervical cancer in adulthood? The retort, how would you feel if yours was one of the children with a genuine injury, pales in comparison. Sure you can get hit waiting on a street corner for the green light, minding your own business. It isn't safer, though to cross the street against the light.

You get it. I am in favor of immunizations. I am not paid to say this, nor have an interest in seeing drug companies get rich. I have, however, spent my life caring for children, and am passionate about doing the right thing to optimize their health and welfare. The choice to immunize one's child is an easy one, when one looks objectively at the choice, something that Mr. Lender has not done.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great "Shot" at the Pharmaceutical Industry...., April 6, 2012
This review is from: Vaccine Nation (Paperback)
David Lender has always been a controversial author who writes good story lines and has exciting characters. In his latest offering he has done it once more. The story has several murders, but the killer is known and followed throughout his exploits as he works for a CEO in the drug trade. Secret data about vaccines, is the key reason for the murders. The information could wreck the profits of the industry and cause a Senate hearing to revoke the immunity from prosecution the industry has enjoyed over the years for its vaccines.

The characters are very vivid and actionable throughout the story. The reader will find this tale an easy and exhilerating read as page after page gets read. The book is short in that it is less than 250 pages, but again a lot of action is packed into those pages. I particularly liked some of the quips Lender placed throughout the tale such as the one that industry mogels are in essence "legalized drug dealers". There was even a comment made about the pictures a CEO of the industry had in his office of him shaking hands with various government noteables, one of which was President Romney (does Lender have some insight here with the election months away).

All in all though its a fun book to read and enjoy as the person carrying the secret data is chased and nearly killed several times while trying to make it to a Senate hearing. There also are some suprising twists carefully placed throughout near the end of the book which the reader will find most interesting as they add significantly to the story line at the end. I suggest you get a copy and enjoy it, you won't be disappointed by the ending I can assure you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is It Bad I Rooted For the Hitmen?, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Vaccine Nation (Kindle Edition)
There's so much I could say about this book, but the most damning thing is that I wanted the bad guys to win.

Seriously.

The main character is painfully stupid and obnoxious, and I wanted the hitmen to catch up with her just so we could be done with her. Which, of course, would probably just mean that she threw another conveniently placed weapon at them and gets away. Again. Seriously, how inept are these hitmen?

All the mediocre writing and plot aside, the message of this book is downright appalling. The line about "can you even cite any sources testing the safety of vaccines?" is easily refuted with a two minute Google search. This book is full of outright lies, misinformation, and fear mongering, which is par for the course in America, I admit, but this is worse than normal fear mongering. It isn't just your children's lives on the line, it's *everyone's* lives you toy with when you mess around with diseases like this.

If the vaccination rates fall under a certain threshold, viruses like polio and smallpox can, and will, make a return and will cut deadly swathes through our populations.

Please, please, please, please, if you're thinking about buying this book *do more research* and educate yourself on both the efficacy and safety of vaccines, and how viruses propagate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read, September 21, 2012
This review is from: Vaccine Nation (Kindle Edition)
In today's world Mr. Lender was very aware of the complications surrounding drugs, vaccines and the like. In this conspiratorial world it was an interesting read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vaccine Nation, March 6, 2012
This review is from: Vaccine Nation (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is an easy entertaining read. Sad everyone she comes in contact with, it seems is destined. But good never the less.I love my Kindle and Amazon together. Makes everything so quick and easy!!!!!

Vaccine Nation