Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on December 22, 2012
This is about the VACMASTER VQ607SFD stainless steel wet/Dry vacuum cleaner.

Originally, I was looking for something a bit stronger and bigger, 8-10Gal. capacity. While hunting for such an animal, I quickly discovered that about anything bigger than 6Gal would have a clearly wider 'base/footprint' than what I needed: something that could "follow me" through narrow passages between piles of boxes, machinery, etc. -- something no wider than 17" or so.

For years I had used an (excellent) older "Shop-Vac wet/dry" (6Gal 2HP peak) that served me well (including for some rough/tough jobs!)... until it reached the point where it did dangerously overheat.
Since this VACMASTER VQ607SFD had practically the exact same dimensions as my old Shop-Vac and, according to specs, 50% more suction power than my old one, I bought it.

And here is what I got . . .

>> The GOOD: Material of main unit is of decent quality (metal and plastic). Finish and tolerances of molded parts are quite good -- good fitting, no sharp edges/burrs, etc.
> Plastic of hose and accessories (all in the standard 1 1/4 inch diameter) is, well, like that of most other similar brands/models: "so-so" but OK if used with some care.
> The length of hose and cord are as indicated in the specs.
> This model DOES have/use a disposable paper bags (for DRY debris) -- an important "detail" for the longevity of this type of vacuum cleaner... one bag came with the cleaner, and this model of bag is widely available on the web.

>> The NOT so good:
> The key aspect of any vacuum cleaner is its vacuum power -- its suction. Well, that's where this model falls short of what it should be. According to specs, it has a 3HP peak power. Yet, when in action with a new/clean bag, it has clearly LESS power -- less suction -- than my old 2HP (Shop-Vac) had towards the end of its life. It's not a total dodo, it's not useless, but I am disappointed. Its specs had lead me to expect at the very least the same power as my old unit. TWO stars OFF for this lack of suction compared to what the 'technology' of years ago could do in that same type of vacuum.

To sum up, this model is (just) "OK" for standard average use around a house (e.g. garage, small shop, patio, deck, etc.) but not really strong enough for serious renovation jobs (or similar stuff)... unless you have plenty of time!

So far, I haven't used this unit for wet vacuuming; so, I can't comment on that aspect.

Hope one aspect or another of this review helps someone who is looking for this type of vacuum cleaner.
55 comments114 of 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2012
Always have used shop vac before buying this vacmaster, This vacuum makes alot less nosie than the shop vac and has much better suction too. It came with all the accessories you need for a good cleaning job. Also very light and easy to change the filler or dust bag.
11 comment30 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2012
This vac was rated at 1 horse power more than my last one but it doesn't pick up any better. It's nice for light jobs, but it didn't do that well cleaning out my car, which is what I wanted it for.
0Comment37 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2012
I was surprised how mant pieces & filters came with the unit. It's a good vacuum & works very well. I had owned a small shop vac before & after awhile it became very noisy & when you lifted it by its cover it fell over & spilled its contents. The new one is stainless steel & the cover locks. All in all, I am satisfied with my purchase.
0Comment31 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2012
I bought this to replace a broken Ridgid vac and I feel even though it has a smaller diameter hose it still works well. Look all hoses get clogged no matter what size and this vac has enough power so it does not get clogged too often. I use it to clean the car,garage floor and lots of saw dust from my Radial Arm saw. Nice construction and fair price. Many attachments are a +. I would buy this again.
0Comment43 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2012
clean looking easy to assemble, easy to move around and powerfull enough for the toughest dry jobs. Hooked it up to my chop saw. worked great. I reccomend this for anyone needing an adtion in their home or shop. Cleans the dog too
44 comments30 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2012
Best household vac ever. So quiet and efficient, It's the bomb.you'll be glad you got this, and all tools are on board, space saver too. A1 product!
0Comment25 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2012
Sucks up everything, and blows really well. Tons of attachments and it just looks cool. I scoped out all of the reviews on Amazon and Home Depot, and I have to agree--this thing is awesome. Get one.
on July 8, 2015
I know Its been two years since I received the Vacmaster but I would have thought that the stainless steel bucket would not have rusted through, with two holes that you can put a finger through. I emptied the tank after every use, which has only been a half a dozen times when the concrete floor gets wet. I will go with the plastic bucket next time.
review image review image
on September 20, 2012
This is a very good product. Came with quite a few accessories making it suitable for both household and workshop vacuum. Bought this for home renovation and have been using it to get rid of cobwebs, dog hair, paint chips, sawdust etc. The vacuum bag provided added an extra layer of filtering on top of the standard filter when working with sawdust and drywall dust. So far no problems.