Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Package Quantity: 1Change

on May 1, 2002
The wine saver is great in so many ways. Obviously it's wonderful to be able to open a bottle of wine and have it stay good for a day or two, especially if you just like one glass with dinner. This lets you open up and enjoy more expensive wine since you won't waste the whole rest of the bottle. If you are interested in learning about wines, you'll probably want to open up 2 or more wines at a time to compare them, and this way you won't waste anything. The wine saver will keep the undrunk portion until the next time. I do recommend putting the bottle in the fridge if you don't drink it the next day. Just pull the bottle out an hour before you want to drink it if it's red.
0Comment60 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2002
I've been using Vacu Vin's previous model for years and have been happy with it. The one downside of the earlier offering was that wine lovers never knew when a vacuum was achieved. I used to overpump just to make sure the wine-damaging oxygen was out of the bottle.
I got this model in Napa a few months ago and I'm glad I did. While it doesn't deliver on its Concerto promise, it does give you reassuring clicks when a vacuum has been reached, enabling you to stop pumping sooner. It's a nice refinement.
The only downside over the previous model is that it won't work with the marinating device sold separately because the bottom is configured differently from the earlier model.
0Comment60 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2003
I have used both this product and the standard (cheaper) Vacu-Vin...pay the premium and buy this product, as it is SUBTANTIALLY easier to use.
In addition to being more stylish than the standard Vacu Vin, the stoppers on this product are easier to use and the pumping mechanism "clicks" when you have pumped enough air out of the wine bottle...the standard model just leaves you guessing about how much air has been removed.
0Comment41 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2004
The Concerto worked well for about the first 50 bottles then seized up. Required a little cooking oil to free it up. Then after 100 bottles, pieces of the pump fell out the bottom. Good concept, poor reliability.
44 comments26 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2005
I wish another company would make the same product with better quality. Although the concept is spot on, there's a problem with the rubber o-ring inside the pump - it will slide out of place and jam up the pump so that it becomes unusable. My first one lasted about 9 months before that happened, so I was willing to try again. The second one, however, lasted less than a month before the o-ring slipped and the pump jammed. There is no way to open it up to fix it. So until they fix this problem, this product is hit or miss. Caveat emptor!
0Comment32 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2004
Mine worked for a while, but then seemed to start to stick, which made it impossible to pump anymore. I tried soaking the entire mechanism several times in soap and water, but it still doesn't work. I initally liked the clicking feature and sleeker design of this model, but have gone back to using the old version, since this one stopped working.
0Comment31 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2003
I use the wine saver almost daily to seal my favorite merlots. I have never lost a bottle of wine since I began using it about 8 months ago. Recently the unit suddenly froze up and would not work until I lubricated it with a little vegetable oil. Unfortunately after that it no longer clicked when a seal was reached. I decided to contact Vacu Vin directly via e-mail. What a pleasant surprise when I received a reply asking me to mail them the unit for immediate replacement. My new unit arrived several days later. I give the product 4 Stars but the company gets 5 Stars for customer service.
0Comment24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2003
I gave this product five stars in my original review, but now it's down to three. I prefer the look and feel and the clicking confirmation that tells you when to stop pumping of the Concerto over Vacu Vin's original model , but it hasn't proven to be as durable. Less than a year after I got it, the pump seized up and couldn't be used until I sprayed some WD-40 lubricant in it. It worked fine for over a year until the bottom of the pump mechanism broke off completely. I've taken the original model out of mothballs.
33 comments30 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2002
I was very skeptical when I bought this item, so imagine my amazement when I discovered that it actually works! Prior to buying VacuVin, my red wine bottles would last a maximum of 1-2 days if immediately re-corked, and white wine a few days longer if refrigerated. Now, my red wine is good for up to a week, and the white wine lasts even longer. The device is very simple - it pumps air through a plastic cork to re-create the original pressure prior to opening. Simple to use, and the corks are easy to rinse. Perfect for single people like me who don't want to drink a full bottle in one sitting, or who may switch from red one night to white the next.
0Comment25 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2004
The "click" sound that indicates you can stop pumping is an especially useful feature. Made me realize that with my other vacu vin models, I probably wasn't pumping enough air out of the bottles; even after several pumps. This model from Amazon comes packed in a nice plastic storage unit, too. Heads up, though, this one uses slightly different rubber stoppers from those sold at the local retail outlets like Bed Bath and Beyond. I don't know if they would work as well as the two stoppers that come in this set.