5.0 out of 5 stars Wine Saver, Money Saver
As any wine drinker, be it red or white, knows, the worst thing that can happen to a bottle of wine opened at dinner, is to not be able to finish the bottle of wine at dinner.

Published on August 29, 2007 by Alan

3.0 out of 5 stars vacu vin
the product works as promised on bottles that are 1/2 full or m,ore. doesn't seem to do as well when bottle is less than 1/2 full
Published on September 23, 2012 by Russell Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Wine Saver, Money Saver, August 29, 2007
Alan (West Lawn PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set (Kitchen)

I'm a novice drinker of wine, and sometimes can go through a bottle with my girlfriend in one night, other times, the wine just doesn't go down as well, and you want to save it for the next night. Previous attempts to recork the bottle, or buy a cheap $5 wine saver cork at Target were unsuccessful and only allowed me a day or two of storage in the fridge.

Then along came Vacu Vin. The giftset is a blessing in disguise, as not only does it come with Vacu Vin's pump and 2 stoppers, it also comes with 2 wine pourers, which eliminates my most hated part of the wine, trying to not leak wine all over the counter/floor when I was done with a glass's pour.

The vacu vin gives me about 5 days in the wine cooler before its time to either finish it, or pour it down the drain.

I give this 2 thumbs up , and highly recommend it to all wine drinkers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handsome and Practical, December 26, 2007
This review is from: Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set (Kitchen)
This stainless version of the popular winesaver includes two non-drip pouring spouts. The stainless look is perhaps worth a few dollars more than the cost of the plastic models.

Looking at the reviews of this an other Vacuvin products, you see reports that are deeply contradictory. It's interesting that there is such a divergence of experience with such a simple product. The ideas behind Vacuvin are pretty simple.
First, air is the enemy of an open bottle of wine. Bacteria in the air want to turn alcohol into vinegar. The air itself oxidizes and dulls the taste of all but the most robust wines.
Second, you can remove some of the air with a simple pump and thereby slow down the rate at which wine deteriorates.

Why then, do we have both no-star and five-star reactions to this product?
Maybe the biggest source of disagreement is expectations. Vacuvin slows the deterioration of wine in the bottle, but it doesn't stop it.

Another possible reason for all the disagreement might be a question of temperature. The biochemical reactions that kill your wine are temperature sensitive. They proceed faster when the wine is warm and slow down when it's cool. Putting a pumped-out bottle in the refrigerator or wine cooler will slow down the spoilage processes and make Vacuvin more effective.
A third issue is the way the wine is handled before the Vacuvin plug goes in. If wine has a lot of air dissolved in it by being poured from decanter to bottle, there's no system that will keep it fresh.

For more info on wine storage, check out my book, New Short Course in Wine,The

--Lynn Hoffman, author of New Short Course in Wine,The and bang BANG: A Novel from Kunati Books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product for keeping Wine fresher..., March 3, 2007
This product is well made and easy to use. The pump makes a "clicking" sound when the vacuum seal has reached it's maximum. I have found that you still have to refrigerate your wine for best results and that this product will not eliminate the need to keep your opened wine chilled.

This product will extend the life of your wine's, however not indefinitely. It is designed to extend the freshness of the wine, not prolong it forever!

For the money - this product delivers! Made well and built to last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, May 2, 2010
This review is from: Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set (Kitchen)
We bought this to "upgrade" from the plastic one we had. It is easy to use and seals the bottle very tight. A tip - before using the "cork" wet it slightly and you will get a much better seal. Unless you plan to empty every bottle you open, you need one of these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick, but where to put it?, September 14, 2009
This review is from: Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set (Kitchen)
This little wine vacuum pump serves its intended purpose wonderfully, removing most of the air from a bottle of wine easily and effectively and delaying the infiltration of flavor-killing aerobic bacteria. In these hot summer months, it easily prolongs the usable life of a bottle of Cabernet stored at room temperature to a week or more after opening, instead of the 3-5 days that you'll get without using a pump between uses. Note, you can get even longer life out of the wine by storing it in a cooler environment after pumping. The box even has the word "Click" written on it in large letters so you know that when the pump makes a clicking sound, you're done.

My only hesitation in recommending this kit is that it does not come with any means of storage of the five items in the set. The wonderful Vinturi Essential Wine Aerator is equally useful, but it comes with both a stand to rest the aerator on between pours as well as a cloth sack to store it in when not used for extended periods. This stainless steel wine saver "gift set" would benefit greatly from a small case or display stand on which the unit itself, the two pourers and the two stoppers could be stored when not in use.

Overall, an excellent product but one that could contribute toward the dreaded KCS (kitchen clutter syndrome).

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps keep wine fresh, November 7, 2011
This review is from: Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set (Kitchen)
This set is a must have for anyone who enjoys the occasional glass of wine but doesn't always drink the whole bottle before it goes bad. The system is very easy to use with a distinctive click noise to indicate it's done pulling air out, and creates a good seal - you can tell the vacuum has been maintained every time we open the bottle again (which has been as long as a week) because you hear the air whoosh back in. I have never used the crystal pourers, they're an unnecessary part of the set for me but the vacuum system alone is completely worth the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Wine For Another Day!, April 11, 2014
This review is from: Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set (Kitchen)
I have owned this for about 5 years and I think it is about time I wrote a review for it, especially since I have been recently using it, almost, on a daily basis.

I am a big fan of minimalism/simplicity when it comes to drinking wine. Though I have accumulated a whole load of accessories, I tend to find most pleasure and function using my simple Gulliver Two Step Waiter's Corkscrew - Burgundy, my Schott Zwiesel Tritan Crystal Glass Stemware Cru Classic Collection Bordeaux, 27.9-Ounce, Set of 6, a Wine Enthusiast Vivid Wine Decanter and my Vacu Vin.

The Vacu Vin is among the simplest, fool-proof wine savers available. Place the high-quality, all rubber constructed stopper on the bottle, press down, place the pump on the stopper and keep working the plunger till you hear 2 clicks. The click indicator ensures that you do not overwork and ruin the pump.

I have used the pump for about 5 years and sealed 125+ bottles and it still works just as well as the first day I got it. I generally drink my wine within 3-5 days of sealing. The reason I thought of writing a review after all these years is that I drank a bottle of California red last night that had been sealed and stored about 4 weeks ago. The wine tasted awesome! Same flavor profile with even more rounded tannins. If this was a cabernet created to last the ages, I would not have thought much of it, but it was an inexpensive bottle (~$20 retail) created to be drunk almost right after bottling. And the cherry on top was that there was only about 5 ounces remaining in the bottle. In full disclosure, I store all my bottles in my wine refrigerator after sealing.

To avoid stoppers and pourers from staining and smelling, I would advise to hand-wash and air dry immediately after use. I have never washed the pump - just keep it and spare stoppers and pourers in a Ziploc bag.

Highly Recommended!

Pros:
* Works as advertised
* Simplicity in Design
* Well-constructed
* Affordable

Cons:
* Will stain and smell if left unwashed

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Effective Vacuum!, October 21, 2014
This review is from: Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set (Kitchen)
This little vacuum is simple and extremely effective! I drink only a small bit of wine every other night or so, so one bottle will turn rancid very quickly. But this item keeps my wine fresh and highly tasty for at least 2 weeks.

The directions that are enclosed are pictorial and easy to understand: place the plug- like piece down the bottle as far as it will go, set the larger pump- like piece atop that (it does not fit tightly - just sits there) and begin to pump. When a ticking sound begins you have created the vacuum you wanted. Leave the rubber piece inserted and store your wine as you prefer (I put mine in the fridge). To decant your wine gently push the tiny knob, in the center of the rubber insert, side ways, and you will hear the vacuum being "broken". A slight hissing noise. (If you don't hear that, then something has gone wrong!) Remove the insert, put the pour spout in, (if it fits your bottle size) and decant the wine. The pour spout fits perfectly in the wine I have and does not drip. It's easy to rinse off and dry. I keep the pieces of the Vacu Vin in a small plastic box in the cupboard.

My sister purchased a plastic version of this at BB&B, but it doesn't look as sturdy, nor did it come with the handy pour spouts and two inserts. I think the stainless steel one is much nicer looking also.

I would highly recommend this product to any one who doesn't want to waste precious wine and precious money :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best wine saver..., June 4, 2014
C. Pilot (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set (Kitchen)
We have owned several wine saver type devices, and this one is by far the best and easiest to use. For anyone having problems with using it, there is a YouTube video that tells you how with the key step being to wet the stopper before inserting it in the wine bottle. Then you need to make sure you have a good seal between the stopper and the pumping device. Keep pumping until you hear the "snick" sound.

I don't tend to have issues using devices like this, but my wife is usually less successful than me. However, she has no problem with this wine saver. We just ordered some extra stoppers for it, so you know that for us this one is a keeper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a few days---not sure about 14, December 10, 2010
J. Ream (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set (Kitchen)
Got this set via credit card reward points. My wife and I drink wine several times a week and hardly finish a bottle in a night. Usually have left-overs, which get Vacu Vin'd. The stoppers have fit every bottle I have ever had and the pump is easy to use. Compared to re-stoppering the bottle with another non-vac stopper or the cork, I would say it preserves semi-fresh taste for 1-2 days. After that, you can definetly tell that the bottle has been opened. Granted, it is better than without the Vacu Vin - but don't expect perfect taste.

I have never actually had occasion to use the plastic pourers, but I guess if you want to get fancy...

Cliffnotes version:
Helps keep wine fresh, but not for more than 1-2 days without decrease in flavor. Better than not having a vacuumed stopper though. Worth the cash if you don't finish a bottle.

Vacu Vin Stainless Steel Wine Saver Gift Set