Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vacu Vin Wine Gift Set
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on December 16, 2004
I have been using my Concerto for several months now, and I am a raving fan! I drink wine frequently, but seldom finish a bottle in one evening. The Concerto is so easy to use to "vacuum-pack" your leftover wine for storage in the fridge. The unit makes a little chirping noise when the vacuum is reached, so it's foolproof to use. Wine stays fresher longer, and I am a happy enophile! This set also includes a crystal wine server, which is great for stopping drips! For the price, this is a fabulous gift (for you or someone else!).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on January 23, 2007
We love it. The corkscrew works great with real or artficial corks, and the vacuum sealer really works. Rinseing the vacuum in water every once in a while gets rid of the slight sticking problem that can be caused by wine squirting through the vacuum cap during pumping.
on May 13, 2007
I had the originial wine saver vacu vin but this one does work better with the new stoppers that click to indicate you have pumped out the right amount of air. The key to preserving wine is to wet the stopper a little bit and then apply pressure while pumping out the air. It really does seal shut. Wine stays good for about 10 days or so.
on July 21, 2013
This is a very unique system and when I first took it out of the package I thought it was cheaply made. Once I used it I was sold. The corkscrew works great and the vacuum bottle stoppers are the best. This would make a great gift so I ordered an extra set to have on hand when I need something at the last minute.
on January 10, 2013
I was a little worried when I first got this as the packaging looked a bit cheap, but everything works perfectly. The bottle opener is the easiest I've ever used, and I've had many comments by other people using it. The price for all these accessories is great, and all are very useful. I've found the vacuum stoppers much more useful than I would have expected, much better than trying to deal with the cork from the wine.
on June 1, 2013
Love the kit...it would make an excellent gift for a wine lover or even part of your own collection...everything is plastic but all works well an seems it will hold up over time. The price was right ;)
on November 25, 2012
After breaking two traditional wine openers I was pleasantly surprised to find an easier option. As a novice wine drinker I was also pleased to find a way to make a bottle retain its taste long enough to finish it by myself. Thumbs up for this set.
on January 7, 2013
for the wine drinkers and at a great price.. the instructions might be weird for some. i bought it as a christmas gift
but my sister in law was weirded out by the preservers. so i read thru it and had to explain it to her. but a good item over all.
on July 7, 2012
This is very easy to use and works well. The Corkscrew is idiot proof. Can't screw it up (pun intended). The vacuum process works great too, and keeps the wine fresh for about 1 week (never tested it for longer). The vacuum is easy to use, and the two audible clicks let you know when it is done.

Great product. Simple to use and effective.
The corkscrew is good, especially for people with diminished hand strength. The other tools are useful too, but it's the vacuum pump that really makes a difference.

Looking at the reviews of this an other Vacuvin products, you see reports that are deeply contradictory. It's interesting that there is such a divergence of experience with such a simple product. The ideas behind Vacuvin are pretty simple.
First, air is the enemy of an open bottle of wine. Bacteria in the air want to turn alcohol into vinegar. The air itself oxidizes and dulls the taste of all but the most robust wines.
Second, you can remove some of the air with a simple pump and thereby slow down the rate at which wine deteriorates.

Why then, do we have both no-star and five-star reactions to this product?
Maybe the biggest source of disagreement is expectations. Vacuvin slows the deterioration of wine in the bottle, but it doesn't stop it.

Another possible reason for all the disagreement might be a question of temperature. The biochemical reactions that kill your wine are temperature sensitive. They proceed faster when the wine is warm and slow down when it's cool. Putting a pumped-out bottle in the refrigerator or wine cooler will slow down the spoilage processes and make Vacuvin more effective.
A third issue is the way the wine is handled before the Vacuvin plug goes in. If wine has a lot of air dissolved in it by being poured from decanter to bottle, there's no system that will keep it fresh.

For more info on wine storage, check out my book, New Short Course in Wine,The

--Lynn Hoffman, author of New Short Course in Wine,The and bang BANG: A Novel from Kunati Books.