Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$8.00

on August 15, 2013
This economical book provides a good foundation to get one started in DIY tube amplifiers. One thing I particularly liked about the book were the detailed construction tips, e.g. the proper placement of lock washers on chassis mounted components, grounding techniques, etc. These types of things are often glossed over or not well covered in other sources.
on January 20, 2015
With the resurgence of interest in vacuum tube audio amplifiers among audio purists, Vacuum Tube Amplfier Basics is right on target. Although it reviews basic electronics theory and terms before launching into describing practical circuits that the reader can build, readers with no prior electronics knowledge need not be intimidated. The theory is presented in a simplified and logical way that will be useful for newbies through experienced electronics techs. For readers who wish to do so, the book gives clear intsructions for building high quality tube circuits that can be combined to yield a fully functional vacuum tube stereo system that you can brag about having built yourself. What an adventure! It also suggests compatible speakers and explains the fabled "tube sound". A previous reviewer mentioned that the diagrams were hard to read on the Kindle version. This is easily remedied by viewing the book on Kindle's free PC ap where you can have the diagrams a big as you like.
on September 14, 2013
I have experience building solid state amplifiers, and I was looking for a way to tackle my first tubes project. This book provided me exactly what I needed. But please be aware regarding the following:
- It is not very good as an electronics primer. Look somewhere else if you don't know what a resistor/cap/pot/transistor is.
- The chapters are somewhat erratic in their sequence.

That said, there is plenty of valuable info explained in a very friendly manner.
on March 2, 2014
It's been many years since I was an electronics technician in the Coast Guard, but if I'm remembering right, the concepts of how a vacuum tube works were not made nearly as clear as this book makes them. I'm not very far into the book, but so far I find it very informative and enjoyable.
on February 12, 2015
A great little book. The place to start if you're starting from zero. You could quibble about some points (illustrating sloppy heater wiring, half-wave rectified bias supplies) but on the whole it has a few exceptional features that make it a standout option for beginners:
-it demystifies things like input and driver circuits, basing them on common configurations, and providing confidence boosting advice like 'don't worry, almost any choice will work'. Makes it seem less intimidating than most that focus on nuance at the outset instead of trying to promote general understanding
-references current parts and sources, not outdated 'where in the world can I find that' stuff
-clearly illustrates the transition from schematic to physical layout. Shows amplifier general arrangements, how to position tag strips and how to physically connect components instead of leaving it to the imagination of a beginner who has no idea where to start.

This is the perfect beginner's book that provides a firm foundation for more comprehensive books like those by Morgan Jones <http://www.amazon.com/Valve-Amplifiers-Fourth-Morgan-Jones/dp/0080966403/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1423740185&sr=8-11&keywords=vacuum+tube+amplifier+books> Highly recommended!
on July 7, 2013
This a well written book which explains vacuum tube basics. With just a little bit of electronics knowledge, the author clearly explains vacuum tube audio basics. The illustrations and examples set this book apart, and the author is very good at explaining the concepts which can be understood by readers wanting to understand how vacuum tubes work in audio amplifiers. In addition, the author provides projects and designs which are also sold by him on his website. This is a low cost way to get into the hobby with some great projects which you can build yourself and understand how it works, using common components. This book is a bargain and highly recommended!
on April 27, 2014
This is a great book either as a refresher course or for a beginner wanting to learn about hollow state amplifiers. It is well written and easy to understand. I got the Kindle edition (which I wish I hadn't) as some schematics just do not show well on the screen. Other than that, a good buy.
on December 4, 2014
I bought this because of the customer reviews. I recently attended a seminar on building tube amplifiers, and thought this would be a good book to help keep the information fresh, and a good reference book. I should have read the reviews more closely or more thoughtfully. All of the reviewers are experienced electronics professionals. I did not notice that at my first read. So I was surprised when I received the book and started reading it, and was overwhelmed by the complexity. It is not a book of basics. It is extremely complicated and is for people who are already experienced in electronics. This is more of a reference book - a one volume encyclopedia. The material is very dense, and you need a lot of learning to get to the point where this book would be useful. I kept it past one month so I could not return it. So it is going to sit on a shelf until I get to the point where I can use. Probably in a few years. I need to take some courses and read some less complex books before this book will be useful for me. After re-reading the reviews I noticed a line in one review where the author mentioned that this is not for beginners. It is for people that already have a solid foundation in electronics. Ah ha.

I revised my stars from one to three because what I realized later on is that the problem is the title - not necessarily the material. The author should change the name to Vacuum Tube Amplifier Primer or Vacuum Tube Amplifier Reference. The only people who find it basic are readers who have been working in electronics for decades. Almost all of the readers who find this a basic book are electronics professionals - they have lost perspective on what are basics for true beginners.
1616 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2015
This is an excellent book on building a tube amp. Many books of this type claim to start you with the very basics of doing so but then do not. This one really does so. I cant over recommend this book for one who wants to build a tube amp but has little or no experience doing so. Buy this one before you buy others.
on March 8, 2016
As far as I can tell the information is accurate, but the book reads like a hyperactive child explaining the plot to a movie, constantly going back to mention points it forgot. So its kinda confusing. It definitely seems a bit incomplete, so I recommend reading the tech articles here as you go along. Classictubeamps.com. The diagrams and schematics are great though.

Also the book was proofread very poorly and is rife with spelling and grammatical errors.

Long story short, At the price point don't expect greatness. It'll give you a great idea how amps work, but I don't think from this book alone you'll be ready to start building. It'll definitely get you at least doing basic repair work.