Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.49

on April 9, 2010
A while back, when Anberlin was set to release their third album, Cities, their biography gave examples of artists whose third album defined their career, and called Cities one of those albums. I would have to agree--it definitely changed my status from just liking their music to being an all-out fan. And while The Classic Crime's career may have already been defined (their debut was the fastest-selling in Tooth & Nail history), their third full-length album has changed me... I am now an all-out fan.

There's something new and refreshing about The Classic Crime, and I think their biography sums it up best: "a newfound sense of whimsy." While The Silver Cord was somewhat somber and a little depressing in places, Vagabonds brings the most light-hearted effort from the band yet. The change is no doubt for the better, and, in my opinion, makes it one of the best albums to come along in quite some time.

While some albums you listen to and point out the amazing music, and others you can enjoy the genius lyricism, Vagabonds is a near-perfect combination. Matt MacDonald's vocals reach places bigger and better than ever before, and the simplicity of the music is one thing that makes it so memorable. Take the opening track for example, "Perfect Voice," boasting two chords throughout. Overall it's an extremely fun song, one you can bet will be on the set-list for live shows. The lyrics briefly take on some serious meaning, unashamedly blunt--"I may not be a perfect man but I'll still stand/ Yeah, I'm counting on grace to win this race for me in the end/ I may not sing your favorite songs but I don't sing for you/ `Cause if I did I would have been gone long ago."

With most albums you can sort through and point out tracks that stick out, but with Vagabonds, that's a little harder to do. Nearly every track is outstanding. A few months ago on the band's Facebook page, they told fans that they did not create "filler"--every song they make has meaning to them and is fit to be on a record. While I might look at a song or two on their last album and possibly consider them as such, Vagabonds has no such thing.

The album's first single, "Solar Powered Life," is The Classic Crime's simplest track ever, coming across as unbelievably catchy and clever at the same time. It's really something to hear TCC singing carefree sort of songs like this, and I hope it continues with their future efforts. "Four Chords" follows suit, describing the band's love for music. The title track is constantly getting stuck in my head, and highlight's MacDonald's talent in near-perfect light. Also, the cowbell in the chorus is an excellent touch.

While much of the lyrics on the album deal with carefree matters, songs like "The Happy Nihilist" speak of someone who believes there is no absolute truth. Things might even get a bit harsh for the ears of some listeners when MacDonald sings "It still hurts like hell to trust nobody else but me," depending on their convictions. Despite this, the following song is beautiful, lyrically and musically, declaring, "I will walk through the fire/ I will not be afraid/ They can take everything that I have/ But they can't give me my name." The final two songs are about the trials of love, and are two of my favorite on the album.

While I can rant and rave about how good I thought Vagabonds is, I've been noticing that hardcore fans of The Silver Cord aren't liking it as much. I, personally, don't understand this. Vagabonds has so much that The Silver Cord lacked... manly the lively energy musically and the brilliant songwriting. Vagabonds also flows better as an album, while The Classic Crime's sophomore album had a few songs that I preferred to skip. To put it plainly, The Classic Crime has outdone themselves with this album... and Vagabonds is just the beginning.
on April 6, 2010
on April 6, 2010
I've loved all of TCC's albums, and this one is another that I'll be listening to excessively. On Vagabonds they both push themselves into new musical territory, keeping their music from getting stale while simultaneously keeping a connection to all of their music that I've loved so far. It shouldn't be a question, get this album :) (Even better with this edition over the standard, two extra tracks!)
on April 10, 2010

on February 16, 2012
They started off a little raw in some of their earlier albums, but have grown with each successive attempt. This album continues that growth. Enjoyable, catchy, fun...yes they're a 'Jesus' band, but at least they still play their own instruments and write songs that aren't Heysus this Jesus that.
on August 24, 2011
It's not as catchy as Albatross (one of my favorite CD's of all time), but I liked it better than Silver Chord. It's very fun to listen to.
on January 7, 2015
Amazing music, never disappoints as usual!
on July 23, 2011
The Classic Crime are easily one of my top 3 bands of all time, even after this release. Trust me when I say that I wanted to love this album, but I could never get into it. The infectious choruses that made Albatross, the depth that made Silver Cord, and the vocal prowess that made the Seattle EP just didn't seem there for me. The title track Vagabonds was shallow in every sense of the word, and like a title track should, good or bad, that shallowness transcended the rest of the album.

This album was more in your face than their previous releases, providing bursts of energy from beginning to end. In order to do so I feel like they compromised the complexity that made in my opinion Silver Cord a masterpiece. Gone were the deep contemplations that The Beginning, End, Closer Than We Think, and a whole bunch of the others on Cord provided. Gone were the build ups and the powerful releases that Gravdigging and Abracadavers provided. Gone were the chills inducing harmonies, song structures, and deliveries that you can find in Salt in the Snow.

Now you might be thinking this album is no good, but that is simply not true. The first half the album is rock and roll anthems that you can tap your feet to first listen. The second half of the album provides a little extra depth while still keeping the energy at a high level. The problem is, The Silver Cord was SO good it left you wanting more in that direction from the band. I was so excited to see that progression, but it never came. The band decided to go in a completely different direction. And that is why, comparatively speaking, it ended up being just 3 stars and just OK. Even a little bit of a disappointment.
on April 22, 2010
The Classic Crimes previous releases had very nice lyrics, with inspiring chorus' and God filled verses. Songs like 'Seattle', 'Who Needs Air', 'Just a Man', 'Everything', 'Far From Home', 'Closer Than We Think', and many more had infectious beats combined with truthfull, senstive and deep lyrics that portayed a new side of a growing Christian. I was so excited to hear the songs on this album, thinking that more great inspiring songs were to come. After all, many bands on that path continue to grow and get deeper and deeper. Take The Rocket Summer for example, whose most recent CD shows incredible spiritual growth since the last. And Hawk Nelson, whose CD 'Live Life Loud' has flourished in meaning and great lyrics. Unfortunately, The Classic Crime seems to have followed the other path, that of the sell out. Though they show musical talent, their lyrics are not nearly as inspiring and praiseing as those in their earlier releases. Lyrics still okay, but not nearly as good. I miss their great songs :)

But if your just looking for some good tunes, the voice and guitar and drums and everything coordinates nicely :) Lol..
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse