5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and straightforward.
Published on July 25, 2011 by J. Gemperline

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost got it just right
Published 17 months ago by Matthew D. Deming

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and straightforward., July 25, 2011
This review is from: Valencia Series Underdesk Keyboard/Mouse Shelf, 28w x 12d, Mahogany (Personal Computers)
I bought this keyboard drawer because the one that came with my desk was a piece of crap and broke. This drawer, on the other hand, is not. Pull out and in is smooth, there's plenty of space for my huge keyboard and mouse pad, and best of all, it feels very sturdy. Someone else mentioned that the screws that come with it are a little small - and they are. I decided to add four extra screws to hold it in to the desk, I doubt it will fall out. I actually have a feeling this drawer will outlive the desk itself.

One final thought: the front of the drawer has rounded edges, which is quite comfortable to rest my wrists on. It may not seem like much, but the drawer that came with my desk had sharp edges, and coming from that, this is nice.

Update after 1 year 4 months: The drawer is still holding up perfectly. My medium sized cat (unfortunately) sits/stands/walks on it all the time, and I'm sure I've put more weight on it than I should on numerous occasions, and have seen no sign that the drawer is any worse for it. It still slides in and out easily, and the slides themselves seem completely secure. I still predict the drawer will outlive the desk, and when it does, I intend to remove the drawer and install it on the next desk I get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Installation tip, January 12, 2012
The drawer is as advertised; but really large. I didn't measure first and it almost was too big. Installation would have been helped by a template, but I used the 30" between holes and a line parrallel to the front of the desk. I attached the front two screws and the rear two were cake. The screws look small; but likely just because of other reviewer comments. I used the screws supplied and it is sturdy and strong. So here is the tip. You can make your own template after attaching the side rails to the drawer. Cut a piece of paper about 31"X13"; invert the drawer and mark the front and the holes on the paper. You have your template and can drill all the holes and install a lot easier than I did. Enjoy the drawer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best keyboard tray ever!, August 25, 2011
As another reviewer commented, the screws provided to secure this keyboard tray to the underside of the desk are a little wimpy, but it's easy enough to swap out for better ones. The tray fits both a keyboard (with 10-key number pad) and a mouse pad. It's huge.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost got it just right, February 8, 2013
Simple, straight-forward, clear instructions and inexpensive four plusses. However, they assume you will be installing it while the desk is being assembled.installing it on site onto an existing desk is acrobatically challenging. It will mount easily in a 32" space, but only if you empty and invert the desk and use long-shanked #1 phillips driver bits. Also, the #6 x 1/2 inch screws are too small to firmly attach the hangers to the bottom of the desk and support the weight of keyboard, mouse, and arm pressure, although they are adequate for attaching the shelf to the brackets. I had to use 4 #8 x 3/4 screws to attach the system firmly enough to the desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, July 18, 2011
As long as you like the color, you can't really go wrong with this. It is huge, which is awesome. Plenty of room for a full keyboard and mousepad, with a few inches to spare. Seems pretty rugged..no issues with the construction or mechanical components. Installs pretty easily, just four screws. Just clamp it in place, line everything up, drill some small pilot holes and mount it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice item., March 15, 2013
Stephen G. (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
I generally hate desks with keyboard trays. They seem too small and they always impede on legroom.

Well, due to a unique desk situation, I ended up needing a keyboard tray.

I like the build quality, style, and price of this item.

The measurements on Amazon's page is off. The bottom of the tray is a full 4" from the underside of your desk. The top of the tray is therefore about 2.75" from the underside of your desk. Measure this -- if you have long legs, you might not have room for this.

The width of the tray is fine, but at first I didn't think the tray pulled out far enough. Turns out you kind of have to force it to pull out the full depth when you first start using it. I don't know if I mounted it funny or if it is just tight at first, but make sure you're extending it fully.

Along those lines, be sure to mount it as far forward as you can -- not back a few inches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with product, September 16, 2011
I really like this product. It was a replacement for a one that had broken. I only wish I had more room between top of desk and top of keyboard if I don't pull it all the way out.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it so far..., April 17, 2013
I just received the shipment of this keyboard.

I have a new desk ordered which is slimmer than my old one, and it does not have a keyboard drawer in it. It's a commercial High Pressure Adjustable Height Computer Station Table in Walnut (24 in. x 60 in./Cherry) --my table is oak instead of cherry but this is the style and size I ordered. I was wanting a minimalist look that would take up less space in my office because my current table is 30 inches deep by 48 inches wide and my room is only about 10x12 ft. I'll be sitting both 22-in and 24-in monitora plus a laptop on this table, so it'll be pretty full.

I decided that I'd need a keyboard drawer, partly due to a lack of desktop space, and partly for the convenience of having my keyboard close to my chair. Plus I didn't want to sit right on top of my monitors.

After hours of reviewing keyboard drawers I came upon this one and instantly took a liking to it.

The box arrived today.
At this point I've only taken out the parts and looked at them (my desk hasn't arrived yet).

One thing that appealed to me was the ease of installation. Some drawers had so many parts to assemble that it looked like a logistical nightmare to me. This one has only 8 screws total, and the drawer has holes pre-drilled for the rail assembly that fits on it. Basically the assembly involves screwing the rails to the drawer, and then screwing the rails to the desktop underside and that's it. There are some extra holes in the rail assembly in case your want to use the original screws to screw the rails to the desktop and then decide later to add the heftier ones.

The item was extremely well-packed with a "box inside of a box". Plus the rails and hardware are in yet another box, and there is styrofoam padding everywhere. The box was packed tight and well. It had the definite appearance of a quality product.

This drawer is HEAVY, and I'm glad I'll be able to turn my desk upside down to install the drawer prior to setting the desk up. I'd hate to try this with a desk in the upright position.

The runners that will go on either end of the drawer have a VERY smooth action, with multiple ball bearings and greased well too. The rails have end stops at the full open and full closed position that should keep it from moving when at either end of the tracks.

Be advised: the drop of this keyboard is exactly 3.5 inches from the bottom of the desktop where you mount it. If your desk is very low, this could possibly be a problem.

The screws are REALLY small, as others have noted. I plan to run up to my neighborhood hardware store and find some heftier ones to tether this drawer's rails more firmly to my desk. My desktop is 1.25 inches thick, so this should not be a problem.

I use a Mac keyboard that's 17 inches long, plus a trackball so I'll have more than adequate space with this keyboard, but with 3 monitors, it'll be nice to have enough space to move the keyboard around on the drawer if I need to.

I plan to update this review after I have the keyboard drawer installed on my table, and hopefully will have some pictures too.

By the way, they sent me mahogany instead of cherry, which is fine with me. If I don't like the color, I'll just change it.
========
4-27-13: I installed the keyboard on my new desk today, I also posted some pix.

The keyboard shelf was relatively easy to install, however the desk I ordered had a top that was similar to cast iron. I didn't know they could make compressed wood that hard! I could not have installed this shelf lying on my back, the screws took too much pressure.

I did get some slightly larger screws that were just a couple millimeters longer and had bigger heads and diameter than the ones that came with the keyboard, and actually I used the four that came with the keyboard and four of the new ones in addition to that. I could probably stand on this keyboard, it's so secure. I do recommend the heftier screws. 50 cents is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

The drop on the keyboard shelf is a full 4 inches once installed. I had to lower my chair just a tad so that it would clear my legs. No big issue. However if your desk is already low, this keyboard shelf might not work for you.

You lose a bit of extension with the keyboard shelf installed. I installed mine flush with the front edge of the desk in the closed position, and you get 9 inches of extension from that position. I could have installed it another inch further outward, however I wanted it flush when closed. Nine inches will be plenty for me, YMMV.

The action of the railings is VERY smooth, and there are gentle stops to hold it extended or closed.

I'm happy, I think this will work well for me. I do recommend that if at all possible, you invert your desk upside down to install this board or find a very strong helper to hold it in place. Drilling pilot holes for the screws would be advisable unless you're dealing with pretty soft wood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Basic Keyboard Tray, March 31, 2012
My wife's keyboard tray fell apart after six years of use between two desks. This one looked similar enough that we gave it a shot. It's exactly as advertised. It's large enough to fit a Microsoft Natural keyboard plus mouse with pad (portrait oriented). It's easy to install---attach the sliders to the board with provided screws, flip over the desk, and attach the unit to the underside of the desk. I put the front bar very close to the edge of the desk and it worked great. We're using it with an Ikea Galant desk. We could have spent big $$$ on a fancy keyboard tray, but we didn't have to---this works great for my wife.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, February 24, 2012
This product works fine.

Pros:
* nice and upscale looking surface
* relatively sturdy build.
* Perfect size! especially when you have a narrow keyboard and a widescreen. (if you have a wide keyboard along with a wide screen, please look at sth. at least as wide as 30")
* The manufacturer has done a good job in packaging.

Cons:
* only 4 tiny (even flimsy) screws to hang the shelf. The manufacture should provide at least 8.
* After installation, the right rail scrolls very tightly; while the left rail slides smoothly.

Rate and Discover Movies