5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book!
Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen have given us another gem of American History in writing Valley Forge, a sequel to their last book, To Try Men's Souls. In writing the review below, I recommend all to read this book on the basis of its historical richness, told through narrative story, as well as its thematic commentary upon what makes America great.

First...
Published on November 7, 2010 by Miguel Ali

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but worth reading anyway
I enjoyed reading the prequel, To Try Men's Souls, very much, so I've been looking forward to reading this new novel. As I expected, it follows two brothers - one in each opposing army - who were also in the first book.
Almost from the start, though, I was disappointed by historical inaccuracies, such as a couple about Arnold and Burgoyne on page 23. Apparently,...
Published on December 3, 2010 by RevWar author

‹ Previous | 15 6 713 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Valley Forge: George Washington and the Crucible of Victory, September 3, 2013
I haven't finished this book, but what I have read is outstanding, from every level: Private to General. Great, authentic, bone chilling story of how our Nation was created, who those involved were and how tough they really were; makes me feel awe of those that stood up for their convictions. This book is a humbling experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book, August 10, 2013
I don't often read a trilogy in the order 1-3-2, but had 1 and 3 and this is #2, and it's working just fine. Some good history in these with a novel flair built into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A portrait of leadership at its best and its worst., July 28, 2013
It is inspiring to delve into both sides of the story and be immersed in the struggles and hardships that our forefathers went through for freedom. Washington's leadership, honor, integrity shine through in contrast to some others who have other motivation.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for Congress!, July 27, 2013
I purchased this book as the sequel to "To Try Men's Souls" after hearing an interview with Newt Gingrich. Both books are worth reading for insight into the realities faced by those who fought for our independence. We learned the history in school, but not like this.

"To Try Men's Souls" should be read before this one because it sets the stage for these battles and introduces you to the characters, including the foot soldiers who are significant heroes in the story. It gives great insight into the character, leadership and intelligence of George Washington.

"Valley Forge" starts off by showing that the Congress was pretty inadequate to support efforts back in those days, and the exact text could be lifted to describe typical actions of today. It's also an interesting read for those of us living in the PA/DE/NJ area given our familiarity with the territory. I have visited Valley Forge and plan to go back now that I have read the book.

Bottom line is that these books bring the history to life and leave the reader with humble appreciation for those who went before us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond my expectations:, July 14, 2013
First book I've read by these two authors, but I will order others. From page one, the plot, characters, descriptions, and drama had me drawn in. How did the Revolutionaries win that War?? From huge Victory in Trenton to lowest point of suffering, this book leaves no doubt that Washington and his staff were visionaries. But more importantly, it was the ordinary soldier whose heart burned with desire for Freedom that won this war. The only thing the book lacked as the reader walked the battlefields and sludged the filthy lanes of Valley Forge was SMELLS! Highly Recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book and history, July 3, 2013
It should be used in schools rooms everywhere. Most young people do not know this history and are not taught the complete history of the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, June 27, 2013
I just downloaded another in the series in order to continue the ride. Plan on going through the rest and maybe some of the recommended reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced, May 9, 2013
Great historical fiction ... well researched ... well written ... lots of pages but well worth the read. It was hard for me to put this book down and I don't even like fiction. The truth is, Newt Gingrich puts more truth into his books than imagination. I may just have to read them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read!, April 30, 2013
Well researched historical fiction that (from my own research) in more factual than fiction. Riveting and reads easily. But most importantly, it focuses the reader on what it was really like and what people really went through during our own revolution. In a day of school textbooks that simply memorize dates (and sometimes re-writes history for a current political purpose), the things we have forgotten ... that politics was still alive during the revolution; how indebted we are to France and a 19 year old aristocrat; how many people sided with the British (and based their allegiance on how the war was going at that moment; and even how close we came to losing absent a real military and tactical blunder by the British. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Valley Forge, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Valley Forge: George Washington and the Crucible of Victory (Hardcover)
If you care about how this country was founded then you need to read this book. This book points out what a great person George Washington was and the importance of surrounding oneself with the right people - Steuben, Wayne, Lafayette, Greene. He was the sum of all their parts. A great read.

‹ Previous | 15 6 713 | Next ›

Valley Forge: George Washington and the Crucible of Victory
Valley Forge: George Washington and the Crucible of Victory by Newt Gingrich (Hardcover - November 9, 2010)
$27.99 $11.20