5.0 out of 5 stars Valor at Vauzlee
This is the second book of the A Galaxy Unknown series and I would recommend reading the the first book before Valor At Vauzlee. If for no other reason than that the first book is truly enjoyable and would give you a better understanding of what happens in the second book.

I really liked this second installment and in some aspects it was better than the first...
Published on September 12, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought it without regrets, but it could be a lot better.
I suppose it says something when I didn't hesitate to buy this as soon as it came out. I do wonder if the part of me that enjoys this book is the same part that enjoys beating grandma at Tekken or soloing the Deadmines at level 80. This is not your normal novel where the hero overcomes adversity to triumph at the end. This is a story where the main enjoyment is in seeing...
Published on October 9, 2010 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel in a solid space opera universe, May 10, 2011
In fiction, I generally categorize authors as having "great writing skill," and "great storytelling skill," which are not mutually exclusive. Clive Cussler tells great stories but doesn't strike me as having the greatest literary "skill," and Ayn Rand was an incredibly "skilled" writer but her stories were somewhat lacking; Neil Gaimann has lots of both. DePrima falls more towards the "great storytelling" side of the spectrum. I've read the first three Galaxy Unknown books and the stories are highly entertaining but can drag sometimes when he focuses too much on repeating details previously established within the same book - I understand the necessity to rehash what happened in the previous books for new readers' education. Valor at Vauzlee is the second in the series and was a fast and entertaining read. As recurring characters go, Captain Kane is fantastic; the others could use some fleshing out.

I've read three of the Galaxy Unknown books and have every intention of reading the rest of them. Jenetta Carver is a great character with a combination of guts, brains and some sauciness thrown in. It probably goes without saying that she reminds me very much of David Drake's Honor Harrington (and, necessarily, Forester's Horatio Hornblower) except without Harrington's annoying insecurities. In other words, Carver is a more "likeable" character and I prefer DePrima's universe over the "Honorverse," not least of all because it's "Americanized" and there are non-humans (although...partially telepathic alien "cats"? That's a pretty close parallel). The only other criticism I have of these books is that some of the recurring characters could use some fleshing out to differentiate them since it seems the character list has exploded at a rate faster than they can develop their own identities. While his forward to the first book referenced "hard sci fi" in terms of the technologies, I'd have to rate it as "medium-hard," since, aside from the appendices, little time is devoted to actually describing the ships' and planets' technologies aside from brief moments discussing what seem to be one-hit wonders (the razor-spring-firing, illegal, ship-safe pistol comes to mind).

I've found the Galaxy Unknown books to be extremely entertaining (increasingly so as the series continues), worth the purchase, attention-grabbing enough that I'm probably behind on something else important (like laundry) and well within the tradition of the Space Opera. Recommended highly with the warning that you may need to skip a page here and there when a character or the narrator goes off on a "just in case you forgot, here's a detailed accounting of something that happened 6 chapters ago," which is distracting but doesn't take away from the overall "enjoyability" of the novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much admiration from the admiralty, July 14, 2011
Jenetta Carver is a fabulous heroine; and her permanent youthful looks and ever changing DNA, along with plenty of villains to defeat, keep her from being boring. I desperately wanted to like this book, because I did enjoy the first one in the series, but this volume just has too many admirals heaping too much admiration upon her.

Yes, I know one must suspend disbelief to enjoy a good space opera. I have no problem with that, but Jenetta is too apt to be worshiped by her superiors as by her subordinates. I can only stand a page or too of hero worship at a time, especially when it is by older guys who should be both arrogant and curmudgeonly.

The sub-plot of a saboteur on board her ship is one of the better elements in this yarn, and there are a sufficient number of battle scenes to keep a reader entertained. Some of the word choices, especially when the author uses archaic terms, annoyed me, but that's minor when compared with my main pet-peeve-- too much admiration from the admiralty.

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't take it anymore, April 21, 2011
This is a very short review.

If I read one more "aye Captain" or one more "larboard" I am going to drive up to San Francisco and throw myself off the Golden Gate Bridge.

If these anachronisms re-emerge in the 22nd century I will eat my hat. Delete these two terms form the book and it would loose a third of its pages.

I just spent another two pages reading about our hero shopping the mall on the Higgins space base. OK, that's it, I'm headed for the bridge....

2.0 out of 5 stars I Won't Be Doing This Again..., May 2, 2011
I honestly have trouble believing there are this many 5-star reviews and I can only surmise that someone is gaming the system. I bought this book and the first for a long, international flight and while I was at least able to finish the first, this one was too much. I finally skimmed the last few chapters as there was nothing worth reading. I cannot recall EVER doing this on another novel as I can be a real glutton for punishment. The author doesn't even attempt to create conflict. The heroine can't die. As a one-year graduate from the academy, she infallibly bests the enemy single-handedly while making grizzled military veterans look like amateurs. And she doesn't do this once, but over and over again throughout the first book and this one. I can only imagine that this theme continues moving into future books. I'm sorry, but it gets old. I too like books where the main character triumphs in the end, but Jenetta Carver can't do anything but triumph -- and in a big way EACH. AND. EVERY. TIME.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valor At Vauzlee, September 6, 2010
I strongly recommend you read the previous book in the series (A Galaxy Unknown) prior to reading this book.

What an outstanding second installment; I literally couldn't put this book down! It was exciting from start to finish and left me salivating for more!

As with the previous installment, the only negative aspect of this book is sometimes the author would drone on just a bit too long on the technical aspect of the story. After I finished this book, I felt like I lost my best friend. I already miss the characters, the excitement and adventure.

To those fellow dark urban fantasy readers, looking for a good SF but don't want to end up with space romance; I highly recommend this book to you, as the style of writing is similar to an urban fantasy read. I eagerly and impatiently await the next book The Clones of Mawcett .

I also recommend:
Song of Scarabaeus
Bitter Night: A Horngate Witches Book
Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane)
On the Edge (The Edge, Book 1)
Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan, Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Galaxy unknown book, September 26, 2010
I have to say I am really liking this series. I got valor at vauzlee after reading a galaxy unknown, after giving that book a great review, I have to say that this one is even better. The ship combat is really well done, character development is better, but still not great, though the action and plot make up for it in many respects, and I understand that in the next book the author corrects that.

Speaking of next book, I noticed the author seems to be making sequels to every 2 months or so, so you won't have to wait long for the next book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read and very entertaining, July 27, 2014
Steven Mattos "Steve" (Fredericksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Although predictable at times, the plot was fast pace and contained a number of twists that keep the reader interested. What I liked most about the story, was the excellent blend of military leadership traits portrayed by the main character. On the other hand, the book tends to make LCDR Carver out to be a Superwomen who never makes a bad decision or a late one. As she once again defeats the raiders single handly, it's hard to push the "I believe button." As simple science fiction entertainment I recommend this book to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling continuation of a great storyline!, October 21, 2014
This volume of the Galaxy Unknown saga was as captivating and action packed as the first. Always keeping the reader ensconced and wanting and waiting for the next turn, the next surprise! This series, I am sure will keep me wanting and wondering what will happen next. The stories at first seemed a bit too detailed yet as they progress you see how each detail ties in and draws you into the characters situation and feelings.I am off to start the next book. I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Second Book, August 27, 2010
Ken Welsh (Chatswood, NSW, AU) - See all my reviews
As in the case of the first book, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one as well - fast paced, lots of space battles & you can picture in your mind the various scenes as they happen, which to my mind, is the indication of a good storyteller.

Once again, I found it very difficult to put down and always looked forward to when I could start reading it again.

Am very much looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

I would recommend this series to any SciFi fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book that keeps you on edge, January 4, 2011
This book does a great job to pull you in and get you on your toes as you find Carver racing off into many problems. You can basically predict that Carver will come out of everything all right but how she gets there keeps you begging for more. The book uses many details to make it so that you can constantly visualize what is going on and what everyone looks like. Absolutely phenomenal series so far as I am in the third book already but that review will be on the third.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

Valor At Vauzlee
Valor At Vauzlee by Thomas DePrima (Paperback - April 5, 2012)
$14.95 $13.46