Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 27, 2015
This oil is required for my 2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI (Turbocharged Direct Injection), which is a diesel car. I bought this oil so that I could do my own oil changes on my commuter car. This oil carries the VW 505.01 rating which is required in specific years of Audi and Volkswagen cars. It was difficult to find this oil at local auto parts stores, I did come across it at O'Reilly Auto Parts, however this was cheaper and more convenient to get it via Amazon using the Subscribe & Save method, I just had a case (six 1-quart bottles) delivered every couple months. This is a full synthetic oil and I never had any issues related to using this oil over a 20,000 mile period so far. A couple of tips for changing the oil in a VW car like mine, buy an oil vacuum, the Air Power America LiquiVac works great for this; idle or drive the car to get the engine temperature nice and hot before sucking the oil out. Cold oil is very thick and gummy compared to hot oil which flows smoothly. The oil vacuum will suck the oil out the dipstick tube with a small pipe. This really works wonders and beats the heck out of trying to drain the oil out the oil pan drain plug hole like I did the first time I changed it.
on May 25, 2009
I switched from various synthetic oils for my BMW. I change my oil at half the BMW recommended intervals (which are a joke). I've tried Amsoil, BMW oil, Mobil 1 etc and it seems to me that the engine runs much quieter with the 5w 40 Valvoline synpower. When I perform an oil change I notice that the Valvoline is very black. This is good because its doing its intended job. The 5W 40 is hard to find so I'm glad that Amazon is stocking it once again. If you cant find the Synpower 5w 40 I'd recommend Amsoil 5w 40 for European cars.
88 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2012
I have been using this oil in both of my Audi's for several years and have put on thousands of miles with no engine lubrication issues. My older A4 has over 250,000 miles and still runs strong with only slight oil consumption between 5000 mile oil changes. My newer A4 does not use a drop between changes at 5000 miles. I have been very pleased with this oil and would recommend it to anyone that requires a 5W-40 for their Euro built vehicle. The great Amazon price and free shipping are icing on the cake.
on January 8, 2013
On a 2006 VW Passat. Valvoline is one of the high quality oil manufacturers and my engine has been clean since using it . On older cars I would advise to change oil more frequently to maintain your engine.
on August 3, 2011
This is the 5w-40 SynPower MST (it's on the label). I've read a lot of great things about the quality of this oil. Approved for use in VW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz.
55 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2012
When I bought this, it did not specify which variant of the 5w-40 this was. Ordered to find out. It is the MST version, the mid-SAPS oil.

This is neither a good nor bad thing. What it means though is that in gasoline vehicles in the US, due to the sulfur content in the fuel, you will get faster TBN depletion than with a full-SAPS version (the HST version of this oil has a TBN of 10 versus this which is 7.1). With a TBN of 7.1, it is not definite whether it is a 10k mile OCI oil, but it will do better than 5k miles, which is just about doable with a low-SAPS oil.

It is a pretty light 40wt, good for economy.

After a 5k OCI and a UOA, Ill update.
on July 10, 2015
If you have a high mileage 1994 Geo Prizm 1.6L (2nd gen) nearing 300,000mi and have babied your vehicle, this is the next step up from the OEM-recommended 10W-30 while still being fully synthetic (no mixed or conventional oils!). It is important because wear and tear is unstoppable and inevitable, so eventually you will need an oil that can make up for the lost material in the engine and keep it lubricated just right.
on June 9, 2009
I've used Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W40 in my 2006 Jetta TDI from 50,000 to 70,000 miles. I think it's a great oil that holds up as good, if not better than, Castrol SLX or Pentosin. I'm not tearing the wheels off my car, but I have a two hour commute to work and I average about 75 to 80 MPH on the highway. The price is good also!
on December 14, 2012
hard to find vw approved oil on the local autoparts shelves..found it here,delivered to my door every 9 months right on schedule. what a great deal and valvoline oil is great motor oil. doesent get any better then that.
on August 6, 2014
I use this oil in a '08 Sprinter/Itasca Navion rv(V6 engine) and am very happy with it's performance. I live at 600ft & tow a car with the vehicle, so it is running under an 80 - 85% load most of the time. This oil stands up well to the abuse, as I have it analyzed every other oil change. It is definitely worth the cost, especially thru Amazon Prime. I would recommend it for use in the rv chassis.