5.0 out of 5 stars Good price but the MST Version
When I bought this, it did not specify which variant of the 5w-40 this was. Ordered to find out. It is the MST version, the mid-SAPS oil.

Published on March 2, 2012 by JMH

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT for Domestic Diesels
Be advised this oil is fomulated with aditives that are mapped out for small import diesel engines. It is not intended for use with domestic light or heavy diesel trucks... ei Ford F350etc.
Published on December 16, 2011 by Whitewater

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price but the MST Version, March 2, 2012
This review is from: Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40 - 1 Quart Bottle (Case of 6) (Misc.)

This is neither a good nor bad thing. What it means though is that in gasoline vehicles in the US, due to the sulfur content in the fuel, you will get faster TBN depletion than with a full-SAPS version (the HST version of this oil has a TBN of 10 versus this which is 7.1). With a TBN of 7.1, it is not definite whether it is a 10k mile OCI oil, but it will do better than 5k miles, which is just about doable with a low-SAPS oil.

It is a pretty light 40wt, good for economy.

After a 5k OCI and a UOA, Ill update.

5.0 out of 5 stars BMW Oil Change, May 25, 2009
I switched from various synthetic oils for my BMW. I change my oil at half the BMW recommended intervals (which are a joke). I've tried Amsoil, BMW oil, Mobil 1 etc and it seems to me that the engine runs much quieter with the 5w 40 Valvoline synpower. When I perform an oil change I notice that the Valvoline is very black. This is good because its doing its intended job. The 5W 40 is hard to find so I'm glad that Amazon is stocking it once again. If you cant find the Synpower 5w 40 I'd recommend Amsoil 5w 40 for European cars.

5.0 out of 5 stars SynPower 5w-40, August 3, 2011
This is the 5w-40 SynPower MST (it's on the label). I've read a lot of great things about the quality of this oil. Approved for use in VW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2006 VW Jetta TDI 1.9L, June 9, 2009
I've used Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W40 in my 2006 Jetta TDI from 50,000 to 70,000 miles. I think it's a great oil that holds up as good, if not better than, Castrol SLX or Pentosin. I'm not tearing the wheels off my car, but I have a two hour commute to work and I average about 75 to 80 MPH on the highway. The price is good also!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, April 11, 2012
I have been using this oil in both of my Audi's for several years and have put on thousands of miles with no engine lubrication issues. My older A4 has over 250,000 miles and still runs strong with only slight oil consumption between 5000 mile oil changes. My newer A4 does not use a drop between changes at 5000 miles. I have been very pleased with this oil and would recommend it to anyone that requires a 5W-40 for their Euro built vehicle. The great Amazon price and free shipping are icing on the cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than going to the dealer, September 5, 2011
This is what my 2011 VW Jetta needs in it, after the dealer left screws out of the under body shield I decided I could do a better job than the dealer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerat Oil, March 22, 2010
I have a Jetta with a 2.5 I-5 and between German Castrol, the Castrol 5w40 and the M1 0w40 this is by far the best oil I have run in the car. I have liked Pentosin and Amsoil, but I think the Valvoline is just as good an oil. I get far less valve chatter on the Valvoline then any other oils.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a great buy until the price was jacked up, December 18, 2010
Great stuff, one of the best synthetic oils out there. Use it gas and diesels vehicles and it's certified by many manufactures for both uses. Sad to they just jacked the price up so I'm back to my local NAPA store for a lower price. To bad for Amazon as it was the place to buy this great motor oil.

Different grades different certifications; 5-40W is the only one with certification for TDI and other diesel engines as well as all gas engines. Great stuff if you run a multi-fuel fleet.

From Valvoline web site......
SAE 5W-40: Provides the widest range of protection available in the SynPower motor oil line. Delivers outstanding cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start-up. Provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturers' warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where an API SL, SM or CF oil is recommended. SynPower 5W-40 exceeds European ACEA A3/B3/B4/C3 requirements and is approved for Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen. SynPower 5W-40 also meets the engine performance requirements for BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Lexus, Rolls Royce, Volvo and other high performance vehicles.

No other oil in Valvoline's lineup has this broad of a range use or certifications for Gas or Diesel. Just a side note I have not been able to find an oil from any other manufacture that can match it. As an example of why I use this oil I have a TDI with over 350,000 miles and the only thing ever touched on the engine is the timing belt every 100,000 and a couple of glow plugs. I also have several others vehicles well over the 100,000 mile mark with no engine failures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest oil I've ever used, September 6, 2009
This is definitely the best oil out there, I've heard about royal purple being good as well, never tried it, but, this one is just great. The engine runs unbelievably quiet and smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have been using for 2 years, January 8, 2013
sam saran (Canoga Park, CA, US) - See all my reviews
On a 2006 VW Passat. Valvoline is one of the high quality oil manufacturers and my engine has been clean since using it . On older cars I would advise to change oil more frequently to maintain your engine.