4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and unique, though kindle errors abundant
Published on January 28, 2010 by Geoffrey M

1.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre is giving it credit
Cliche writing, flat characters and terrible editing.

The premise had promise; the problem was it was cribbed from other books -- there was nothing original enough to have it shake the label of cliche.

Published on November 11, 2006 by Rivercrap

1.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre is giving it credit, November 11, 2006
Rivercrap (Rivercrap dotcom) - See all my reviews
Cliche writing, flat characters and terrible editing.

Two-thirds of the way through the book I had a hard time remembering--much less caring--about who specific characters were. The bad guys either are incompetent, haven't read the Evil Overlord list, or universally have the character flaw of gloating too long until a deus ex arrives for the Good Guys.

Last, and most inexcusable, was the fact that every instance of the word "lose" was spelled--you guessed it--"loose." If a quote-professional-unquote editor approved this, she/he should be immediately fired.

"We're loosing the battle," said Jack.

Argh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and unique, though kindle errors abundant, January 28, 2010
Geoffrey M (Glen Allen, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder (Vampire Apocalypse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
First off, on a post apocalyptic kick, I came across this book and quickly ate it up. Vampires and apocalypse? Sign me up! Regarding the story, I was not disappointed. It had the right amount of action and dialogue, the characters are enjoyable, and the plot made sense and the story moved along well. I will be buying the second book, if that's any indication of how much I enjoyed it.

What I did not enjoy however, was the Kindle adaptation...or at least I assume it was just the Kindle adaptation, because I can't believe a book would go to print with the issues I saw. Minor spelling issues I can live with, use of " instead of ' I can get over....but the inter-chapter change between story lines without any indication at all with a space between paragraphs is at time hard to follow. I've never come across this in a Kindle book, and I've bought a couple hundred so far, so I can only assume it was either by choice (bad choice), or poor conversion/editing. I would assume it can be fixed fairly easily with one quick run through (heck, I'll do it for you if you need a hand).

Anyway, if the story wasn't so enjoyable, I wouldn't have been able to get past the editing issues, but I complement the author for a compelling story and I look forward to the next book.

3.0 out of 5 stars was ok, February 20, 2012
It has a good plot line but did not put much into character developement. Story felt like it was rushed. Editing was lacking.
Over all it was an ok read if you have the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bleak Future Filled with Vampires and Revolution!, January 24, 2010
This story is about a world that is struck by an energy crisis. This causes less communication and travel between towns. Vampires have been around for centuries and have decided to take over. This story is about a city two years after a serum has been introduced that turns humans into cattle. They are unable to fight back when abused by thralls or vampires. This serum is one of the reasons the humans have lost the war to the vampires. A small group of people have been awakened from the serum and have started a rebellion against the vampires. They have been doing small raids in preparation for this rebellion. Now they are killing vampires and ready to take back their lives. The setting of the cave underneath a house was cool. The overall feel of the book is dark. This book was original. The story was well written. There were a few mistakes on the kindle. Minor mispellings and such. Overall a good story for the kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Gunn has made Vampire stories fun again, November 28, 2006
Dennis Duncan (Greenfield, Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
In a time not to far from now the world as we know it is gone. Civilized society is collapsing because The worlds oil resources have dried up. War breaks out all over the globe for what little oil remains and once mighty nations fall. Cities and rural towns have become insular and have lost contact with each other. The world has no idea that Vampires exist and that they have been waiting hundreds of years for this day. They soon rise from the shadows and before anyone can react the war is over. The Vampires are now the new rulers of the world. They keep humanity enslaved behind walled cities. Humans are breed like cattle for their blood and are keep under the control by a serum that's makes them like zombies. The Vampires cant exist during the day so they use Thralls - humans who have been bitten but have not yet crossed over to keep the humans from rebelling.

Not all humans are enslaved though. A small band of rebels fight on hoping one day to take the world back from the Vampire masters. They make daring raids on cities rescuing people and getting much needed supplies. They soon discover a new method of killing the vampires that might turn the tide of the war. They think that victory is within their grasp, but a botched raid has let the vampires know the location of their hideout. They will have to take a stand and fight against overwhelming odds in order for humanity to have a chance. If they fail the world is doomed.

Vampire stories have always been hit and miss with me so when I started Vampire Apocalypse I really didn't know what to expect. Three hours and two numb legs later I could say that this story was definitely a HIT. Mr. Gunn has written a action packed, blood soaked thriller that will keep you hooked until the last page. Vampire Apocalypse is like From Dusk till Dawn meets Red Dawn. Action from beginning to end. I am shocked by how much I enjoyed this story. Mr. Gunn has made vampire stories fun again. The genre has been stale for a long time and its about time someone gets it right. This story also begs for a sequel and I can only hope that Mr. Gunn has one in store for us sometime soon.

Vampire Apocalypse is a must read for anyone who likes a great apocalyptic story. It is a fast fun read that never disappoints. Mr. Gunn has made a big splash with this book and I cant wait to see what he gives us next.

Five Stars

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, May 14, 2012
I took a risk and got this book and it was really good. What I liked about it was the fact that it went back to the traditional type of vampire, no glowing skin, perfect hair or ultra hunky body type. I have found the recent romanticizing of vampires somewhat disturbing. The style of writing suited the subject matter, there was good character development and it was no holds barred action. You got the sense of the brutality, despair and savagery in this post apocalyptic world. The fear and struggle of the humans and their battle for survival was palpable. I ordered the second book minutes after this one and I hope that it's as good a read as the first one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read it for a second time..., May 9, 2012
BulletProof (Grants Pass, OR) - See all my reviews
I actually paid 99 cents for this book back in Oct. 2011. Just finished reading it for the second time.

This is a great read. The author puts a lot of stuff into one story with quite a bit of success. The story does jump around (time wise) a couple times, but in the end it adds to the story as a whole. Characterization is well developed and the writing style is good, with few editing errors.

I'm not a Vampire fan, but I enjoy new twists on old concepts. This book is a great example of that. I am one of those reviewers who appreciate cost in comparison to story, and for a free download, this is a home run.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, April 18, 2014
Totally enjoyed this book...well written and fast paced.....easy read. Am looking forward to the next one......thought it was a good take on the traditional vampire story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Formatting goes a long way towards clarity, March 19, 2014
The story is interesting, if you can make sense of it despite the formatting. The story has multiple characters and we jump between their point of views. We also jump back in time before the apocalypse. Not normally a big deal - except that there is nothing to separate these sections.

You're reading a section with Harris and in the next paragraph, you're with Nero. There's nothing to separate the change of venue. Normally, an author uses chapters to switch characters, a line or an extra paragraph space. Not in this book - not my copy, anyway. And the time change.. what a mess - extremely confusing. There was a part where Harris goes back in his memories. It took me a few sentences to realize what happened. And then when we're brought back to the present - again, no separator. This lack of formatting removes any smoothness in the reading.. it's like driving on a bumpy road.

There is a lot of military description - weaponry, tactics. If you aren't interested in it, you can skim it. The story itself, the world it's in is interesting on its own, as are the characters. The battle at the end captured my imagination - by then, I was used to the character changing lack of format and adapted a little better.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, January 6, 2013
Much better than the usual boring mushy vampire books. I like a good vampire story with a lot of action. This story takes care of that and then some.

Rate and Discover Movies