5.0 out of 5 stars A must for vampire lovers
Published on September 23, 2010 by Kathy

3.0 out of 5 stars Cutesy stuff, mostly for teens
Published on October 28, 2010 by E. Nathan

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for vampire lovers, September 23, 2010
This review is from: Vampire Knits: Projects to Keep You Knitting from Twilight to Dawn (Paperback)
I can't tell you how much I love this book. I've loved vampires since watching Dark Shadows when I was growing up, all the way through Lestat and now Twilight. So, this book was a must for me. I knew that I'd love it because it had to do with two of my favorite things, vampires and knitting, but I didn't expect it to be as nice as it is. And not just the photography - beautiful photography is common in knitting books. Where this book stands out is this - the patterns are all on pages that are kind of yellowed and old looking with a gothic font, there are little "tid-bites" of vampire information on just about every page, there are two vampire quizzes, and there is even a page of tips on getting blood out of our knitting! That sounds kind of funny, but it's really very practical! Each chapter has kind of a theme and there is a little paragraph at the beginning of each one. The author's writing is really good - informative and yet with a sense of humor. I thought I knew quite a bit about vampires, but I learned a lot from this book that I didn't know.

As for the patterns, they are really nice. They are mostly accessories, which are my favorite thing to knit anyway. There are socks, scarves, capes, bags, hats, etc. A lot of them have kind of a gothic feel to them, but not so much that anyone couldn't wear most of them. There are a few with vampire sayings on them, but if you wanted to make them without the sayings or change them, that would be easy to do.

I wouldn't think twice about buying this book. I buy knitting books all the time and this is one of the most unique books I have and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book; Cool but Practical Patterns, October 11, 2010
The photos in this book are lovely. The book is called "Vampire Knits" and that is initially why I had to have it, but all the patterns could be used in other colors -- or even As-Is -- and never be associated with anything "vampire". There are a few kitschy patterns, but mostly they are just lovely, adaptable patterns. It was the kitschy patterns that caught my eye and made this a have-to-have book for me, but it is the practical ones that will keep me coming back to "Vampire Knits" -- that hoodie is TDF- and I'm way too old to say "TDF". :)

I haven't checked to see if my copy is one of the apparently-few books that have missing and repeated pages, but even if it does, I know that Amazon and the publisher will make good and swap it out for me. That is a publishing snafu and even IF mine is one of the defective, I will still give this book a five-star.

I'm almost finished with the Tourniquet Scarf for my son; he can't wait for the weather to get cool enough to wear it.

I love the premise of the book, the patterns and the photos.

I just hope the next book is 'Zombie Knits' :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book makes me push myself, September 20, 2010
I was so excited to get this item in the mail, but I was a little dismayed at how much lacework is in the book. However, I would not be beaten, the patterns were just too beautiful, so I dove in. I am currently working on the Shapeshifter Shawl and it is coming out beautifully. I never thought I would be knitting at this level, but the items in this book gave me the push I needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars I want to knit everything in this book, April 4, 2011
This is a gorgeous book -- I admit I was drawn in by the cover, since there is a redhead (like me!) wearing purple (my favorite color!) and -- oh yes, it just happens to be called Vampire Knits. Now, i don't know a thing about the popular Twilight series, but I love my 19th/early 20s century literary vampires, and I love vampire movies of the 60s and 70s (and everything before that too) and I can easily imagine "my" kind of vampires in the context of these lovely creations. The only problem with the book is that it has a lot of mistakes in it, some of them quite frustrating. For example, the Lore Hoodie that graces the cover of the book says it takes #4, worsted weight, yarn, in the description, but it calls for a yarn that is much heavier. The corrections on the publisher's page update it to #5, bulky weight, though the yarn called for (Berroco Peruvia Quick) is listed as super-bulky over on Ravelry. So, if you didn't go to check all the possible errata before starting your project, you could find yourself quite frustrated if you choose to use something other than Peruvia Quick.

Aside from the odd typo though it is beautifully photographed, the patterns have lovely descriptions and there are amusing tidbits about vampires on many pages. I immediately made the Black Veil scarf in the recommended yarn (Patons Silk Bamboo) and it was a thoroughly delightful experience, with beautiful results. I also have the materials to make the Countess Bathory scarf, I started the Sidhe Shrug and am working on that hoodie as well. There are so few knitting books on the market that have this kind of creative and unusual spin -- gothic knitting is a perfect combination to my mind. Although I don't have a great need for the bulkier winter items in here, they are attractive too, and the choice of yarns is appealing. I love that there are a lot of lace patterns in these projects because lace knitting is where my interests lie at the moment. But they are fairly simple and straightforward, and shouldn't present a problem to those who are not used to lace. There is something in this book for every skill level, so the casual knitter could easily start with a simple scarf and work their way through the different projects to gain quite a lot of experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cutesy stuff, mostly for teens, October 28, 2010
I thought the layout of this book was very creative, but the patterns lack creativity. These are very simple patterns that are not fitted or really shaped at all. The patterns are mostly simple squares and triangles put together in tried and true ways that are pretty easy. The layout of the book makes the patterns interesting, not the patterns themselves. I do like the colorwork in the book though, lots of paw prints, and red yarn to simulate blood.
If you are looking for patterns to wear such as creative sweaters then you may want to look elsewhere, but if you like accessories then you may like what the author has to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book!, October 29, 2010
I was a little skeptical about this book since I am a newer knitter but it is written with patterns at all skill levels. The pictures are beautiful & the names of the pieces are very creative! I believe next year I will try to do the cover sweater for my sister, a HUGE vampire diaries & twilight fan! Over all a very good knitting book for anyone with an interest in vampires & knitting. I am very pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Knits, October 13, 2010
I don't think I could ever give this book enough praise. Fast and easy patterns that make amazing FO's. A bunch of classmates in my anatomy class were just fawning over my werewolf hat (that I was able to complete in 3 hours!). This book realy is a must have for all knitters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Stuff, October 1, 2010
S. Bushnell (Coeur D'Alene, ID USA) - See all my reviews
Love all the projects. There are not enough easy level stuff for my liking since I have only been knitting for a year. Some of the easy stuff is hard for me. Love it though!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly enchanting, June 19, 2011
This book is unexpectedly beguiling. The write-ups for each pattern are fun. It's hard to resist an introduction that begins, "There is no better protection from blood-thirsty vampires than this plush, hooded cowl which encircles your delicate and appetizing human neck with warm woolen cables..." Or, "Vampires don't have to worry about wrinkles, since they never age physically, but a vampire will want to develop her or his own sense of style. What do modern vampires wear? Tuxedos? Black capes?..."

And the patterns themselves? Love them. I was surprised at how much I loved them, starting with the "Tourniquet Scarf" which mimics the look of a nasty neck wound in a surprisingly tasteful fashion. There are wraps, sweaters, gloves, shawls, blankets, pulse-protectors (warmers), socks ... Most of them are directed at women, but there are some patterns for men and children, as well. As well as non-clothing items like the blood-type bottle-cozies to "keep your blood at 98.6 degrees." Or the "Got Blood" pillow. Let's not forget the werewolf designs, too. It's not all about vampires, after all, and the paw-print fingerless gloves and the hat with ears are adorable.

I actually rather love this book. The patterns are wonderful. They're creative but also GOOD. They're not as, well, cheesy as I had been afraid of. The pictures are atmospheric but illustrative. And all in all, what first appears to be a gimmicky book geared to capitalizing on a current trend is actually a useful collection of practical patterns.

So, yes, the trend will eventually (?) fade. In a few years, the descriptions might be dated. ("Oh, was there a vampire movie called Twilight? I think I remember that.") But the patterns themselves? Charming. There's a sense of creative freedom at work here that's as bewitching as the modern-day vampire seems to be. Which, after all, is the point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Staked . . . I mean Stoked. :), February 1, 2011
I was really excited when I saw this book, and the patterns contained have not disappointed me. I have made one project so far and have plans for more! I really like not only the patterns, but all the vampire trivia scattered throughout the book. There's even a page with tips for removing blood stains from garments. And for all you werewolf fans, there's a section for you too.

Vampire Knits: Projects to Keep You Knitting from Twilight to Dawn
Vampire Knits: Projects to Keep You Knitting from Twilight to Dawn by Genevieve Miller (Paperback - September 14, 2010)
$18.99 $14.69