5.0 out of 5 stars great read
Published on August 14, 2012 by jenn32399

2.0 out of 5 stars A struggle to finish
Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life #1) by Jez Strider tells the tale of Evelyn Hart, a vampire who is having a good patch in her life. A man she might love, a job she enjoys, and a bit of peace. Then her past bursts in, and she's struggling for her life and all she holds dear.

Published on October 23, 2012 by Catherine Winterfox

2.0 out of 5 stars A struggle to finish, October 23, 2012
This review is from: Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

I found the story difficult to plumb. Motivations were murky, actions taken often not to move the plot forward or tell the story, but merely to create conflict. A well-drawn character will not only entangle a reader emotionally, but their actions will be predictable within a certain range. Is Antonio a good guy? Why does he make a leering comment about a teenager? Is Marcus an alpha male or a doormat? No one does anything overtly stupid, just undermotivated. I'm still shaking my head as to why the presumed future bad guy was mad about something they already knew.

Passive voice and otherwise weak prose contribute to the confusion. The word "just" is used 162 times. Sentences needed to be strengthened and pared, commas needed adding, and entire sections needed cutting.

An "OBTW", or "Oh, By The Way," is when something is introduced too far along in the text, with no foreshadowing. Strider introduced a side character more than halfway through the book. Oh, by the way, her best friend's daughter is psychic, she needs help, and here she comes! I still can't figure out what she was doing there, except to create a little more unneeded conflict between the two lead males. In another OBTW, the lead male uses a catchphrase near the end of the book, which was not used previously. While catchphrases can be overdone, this is exactly the kind of detail that would have made his character a bit deeper. Introducing it at the end of the book was baffling.

There is nothing new about a vampire needing to kill her maker for whatever reason; nonetheless, this could have been a decent story if it weren't for things just happening out of the blue. The motivation might be clear to the author, but those thoughts need to make it to the page, and make it there with well-edited clarity.

Overall, the story didn't thrill me, the characters were either baffling or slappable, and the prose was a slog. Not even for free.

***

Reviewed by Indie Book Reviewer

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, August 14, 2012
This review is from: Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I generally don't have time to sit down and enjoy a book very often due to work and the fact that my kids pull me in a million different directions. With that being said, once I picked up this book I could NOT put it down. The characters were relatable and the plot was interesting. My husband even read it and enjoyed it, and the cliffhanger is killing us! I am looking forward to reading the next book very soon, and hopefully many more titles from Jez

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here-, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Thought I would try this since some of this genre have been
quite good. Not so in this case more like not even bad just
tepid and indifferent. Did not like the characters and the plot
was just some warmed up left overs from bad twilight series

3.0 out of 5 stars Average read, January 7, 2013
This review is from: Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Book was entertaining, but not very detailed. good for a light read while you're waiting in an office. Characters not very well developed, slightly redundant. Has a rushed feel to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars That's it? Really?, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Kept wondering if I was gonna like it almost the whole read, but interesting enough to keep going. Got better near the end, but I hate cliff hanger endings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Swing and a Miss, October 30, 2013
Queen Bee (Aurora, Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was one of those books that I was glad I didn't pay for. The time lost trying to get through it was cost enough.

The fact that Amazon allows authors to self-publish is a great thing and I have discovered many great authors from this medium. This, however, is not one of them. While I admire any author that is willing to make themselves vulnerable by publishing their work and allowing the public to read it, I cannot recommend that anyone read this book. This read like a high school student's final exam. If it were written by one of my students, the grade would have been a C -. Don't waste your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars vampires eve, August 24, 2013
This review is from: Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I love this book. I can't put the book down. Congratulation to the author.....love your books. I did did read the other one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, August 3, 2013
This review is from: Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is a great read. From the first page to the last I could not put this story down. The author has a great flair for keeping the story line fast paced, interesting to the reader and keeping you on the edge of your seat. Can't wait to read more from this author !

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick vampire story, January 28, 2013
This review is from: Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I thought the story was kind of interesting and it was a quick read. There were a few confusing parts. It would have been nice to have had more of a back story on Ash and Fate. What about Taya?? Now she hates Evelina? You're confused? So was I.

My major complaint was the editing or lack thereof. There were a number of incorrectly spelled words and words missing in sentences. I found myself making corrections in my head as I was reading (this was distracting).

2.0 out of 5 stars Simple vampire fiction, January 7, 2013
This review is from: Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A watered down version of Anne Rice's vampire fiction. The writing could be better. I wish the protagonist weren't so weak and human like. Don't read this with high expectations.

Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life Book 1)
$2.99