on December 2, 2001
Format: DVD
I love Van Halen and have (literally) every CD Van Halen has ever released. However, I was incredibly dissappointed with this DVD. While the sound is excellent, any avid Van Halen fan will have all of these songs, especially the live versions if they bought the corresponding CD, Van Halen: Right Here, Right Now.
The video quality is not only poor (dark, fuzzy and poorly lit), but it does not even match the real audio track. Yes, every attempt was made to match video of Sammy and Eddie with the songs, but it is very clearly dubbed. I've watched this DVD maybe twice, and now it collects dust on my shelf. As far as I can tell, this entire collection of footage was recorded over SEVERAL concerts and was created ENTIRELY in the editing room. Having recently purchased a flawless, high quality, close-up and AUTHENTIC Peter Frampton DVD recently (Frampton Plays Detroit), the quality of the two productions simply can't be compared. If you love loud, crystal clear, high quality sound that matches high quality video in an AUTHENTIC concert setting, don't buy this Van Halen DVD--instead BUY FRAMPTON.
Van Halen will come through (I'm sure) with a higher quality DVD with better production techniques (they need to hire the guy who did Frampton!), but of course, we'll have to wait for their next big tour! Who knows, maybe Eddie can patch up things with either David Lee and/or Sammy for one giant Farewell World Tour. If so, you can bet that a comprehensive, high quality video and audio DVD would FLY off the shelves. Until that time, though, I'd pass on this DVD and wait!!!
on February 6, 2000
Format: DVD
I viewed this DVD with pessimistic thoughts in mind. But after about ten seconds of Michael Anthony's Ultra Bass, I was in shock. I almost told Drieho to call an ambulance. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen done with a bass guitar. Also, Eddie Van Halen's guitar is astounding throughout the entire disc. I would recommend this Digital Video Disc to a music fan of any genre.
on July 16, 2003
A "live" concert video should be just that..a "LIVE" concert
video? Why can't the producers of these "live" shows get it
in their heads that fans want the show, the whole show, and nothing but the show?
If anyone thinks it's not a total distraction to see Sammy Hagar change clothes back and forth six or seven times EACH & EVERY song, you're sadly mistaken? I actually got dizzy watching all the dress changes! Ok, the sound quality is pretty good, and the song list fairly impressive (not enough early Halen stuff though)? But what keeps this DVD sitting on my shelf unplayed most of the time is the terrible editing job, which went out of its way to let us know this video was shot over 2 nights (a fact they announced before the show begins), almost cramming that fact down our throats! And yes Mr. Big Time Editor, believe it or not that does turn off many fans who want to see the show the way it's meant to be seen, LIVE! I'd settle for the band wearing the same clothes both nights when filming a concert video; at least I can "pretend" that what i'm hearing and seeing are the same thing? If you must have this VH concert in your collection, my advice is buy the 2 cd set (more songs anyway), sit back, close your eyes, and enjoy the show without worrying about getting dizzy! =)))
I give it 3 stars for fairly good and fairly annoying!
on June 18, 2001
Format: DVD
This DVD is a disgrace. A monumental screw up of the highest order. You wouldn't think it would be possible to take a concert by one of the best hard rock groups that ever existed and turn it into a disaster.. but they've done it.
How, you may ask? By sheer arrogance and stupidity. The "powers that be" decided that a mere Van Halen Concert wasn't good enough. They were going to make it "better". What they did was to take footage of two separate concerts and merge them into one. The video is hacked together from the two concerts, constantly switching back and forth. They don't hide this fact, they announce it right at the start, like they were proud of it. On the surface it may sound like a good idea but as you watch the concert it quickly progresses from a novelty to a minor irritation to a major turn-off.
The problem is this: What you really want from a concert video is the feeling of being there. You want the illusion that you are a part of the concert, that it is a real event and that you are there. This ... merging of two separate concerts completely destroys any possibility of this. Even the clothes they are wearing become major distractions. In a few seconds the singer's clothes change back and forth so fast you can't even begin to figure out which is the 'real' video (which you would suppose matches the soundtrack) and which is the 'alternate' video (which I guess is supposed to be more 'lively' or 'interesting' for that split second). In other words it jumps back and forth so much that EVERYTHING looks fake.
To sum it up: It was a stupid idea. It effectively ruins what would have been a superior concert video. Every time I try to watch it I get so mad I want to put my fist through the screen. Please Please Please... just let us see the bands! Keep your clever ideas on how to improve an artist's art to yourself! These artists have reached the pinnacle of popularity for a reason. They have the gifts we want to see, NOT the editorial meddling of wanna-be film makers.
on February 14, 2008
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
This DVD shows Van Halen at the peak of their Sweet Spot in Rock and Roll History. Great production and editing of two shows over two nights. You can absolutely tell that the band is having fun and rockin it at the same time. Buy this DVD if you like pure fun and true Hard Rock !!
on July 10, 1999
Format: DVD
This one gives you complete satisfaction from beginning to the end,with 15 cameras on site they capture the essence of Van Halen in its most electifying moment.Sammy was captivating and Eddie was as you would expect..this is a must have and what a treat for the Van Halen fan!!!!
on August 12, 2009
Format: DVD
I have to agree with other reviewers who have complained about VH using (at least) 2 different shows and splicing them together. Too often, what you're seeing is from a different show than what you're hearing. It's incredibly distracting, especially when the video & audio don't match exactly. I can see recording 2 nights and using the best performances from each night, but why in the world would they use video from multiple nights in the same freaking song??? It makes you wonder how much of the audio may have been doctored up in the studio (since it doesn't match up with the video anyway, it could be from anywhere).

On the plus side, this was a nice reminder of how good some of the songs were in the Hagar era. I've always been more of an old school VH fan, but I have to give the Sammy era its due. It's pretty amazing that they had such huge success with Roth, but if you look at the track listing on this video, very little is Roth-era stuff. VH completely reinvented themselves and became a new band (and a very successful one at that) once Sammy joined. Even a Dave fan like me has to respect that.

One final note: watching this DVD I was pleased to actually HEAR Michael Anthony's bass. On most of the VH discs, his bass is buried in the mix. He's loud and clear on this video.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 23, 2003
Format: DVD
As a videographer, I found the approach used in filming this rather interesting. The footage was taken from two separate shows and spliced together. Hence, as one reviewer pointed out, it looks as though Sammy n' the boys are regularly changing between songs. While some might find this irritating from a 'lack of consistency' perspective, I can definitely see the advantages of using this approach on a practical level (something inevitably goes wrong during a shoot and backup footage is invaluable).
Personally, I found both the audio and visual elements brilliant. You really get the feel of being admist the crowd and witnessing something that is unlikely to happen again (sadly most VH fans are still coming to terms with this). Full kudos to the director. However, I was dissapointed to learn that not all the songs from 'Right here Right now' live CD are on this dvd, namely 'Give to Live' (the band didnt play this song on both nights) and 'One way to Rock'. In addition some backstage footage would have been nice. Regardless, the dvd gets a definite "buy" recommendation from this die hard Van Halen fan. Grade B+
on December 8, 1999
Format: DVD
What can I say?All I can say is:It's a Van Halen concert! How do they do it?Is it because everyone of them is an ultimate proffessional is what he does?Is it because they settle for no less than perfection?Or what is it?To me(and every die-hard Van Halen fan),the answer is simple:it's Van Halen! And that's enough for us! This might prove to you that Sammy is incredibly gifted.I think he's much better than Roth. Pros:
*The direction(especially lights and cameras) is to die for.It's one of the reasons why you could watch this concert a hundred times and not get bored.Fine job,Mitchell. You too Daniel.
*A Sammy Hagar pre-Van Halen song.
*An Alex Van Halen drum solo(with a cute surprise at its end! But I won't spoil it).
*A smashing Michael Athony bass solo! You will never look at a bass guitar the same way again once you see this part!
*AN EDDIE VAN HALEN SOLO! This would be enough in itself,and when you add the other hot solos and songs,you get a masterpiece worth every cent you'll spend on it.You might never look at a TV screen the same way again once you see Eddie's breath-taking solo.
*It's a "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" tour.That album had some of the best songs Van Halen ever did(including Man on a Mission,Judgement Day,Poundcake,and hey,IN 'N' OUT!)
*The crowd was really cool and added even more life to the concert.
*Brief interviews with some members of the band before their solos.
*This might sound stupid,but one of the female fans really looks like Jennifer Love Hewitt.
Cons:
*The concert doesn't include all the songs avaliable on the audio productions of the concert.For instance,Panama,Ain't Talkin' 'bout love and other songs weren't included,unfortunately.
*In 'N' Out doesn't have that ultra cool guitar opening of the original.
The bottomline is this:if you always hear about someone named Eddie Van Halen,and you hear people say he's the greatest guitarist ever,buy this DVD.You might not totally agree with them,but you will definitely see why they say that.If you aren't a Van Halen fan,this DVD is the perfect start for you.
If you are a Van Halen fan,I guess you could be reading this for any reason,except to make a decision on buying the concert!
on January 26, 2004
Format: DVD
The solo that Eddie does is probably worth the price of the video. It features shots from only one of the nights, with a lot of good close-ups and clear views of Eddie's hands.
Live Without a Net is definitely a better choice, if you don't have it. The playing on it is a lot better.
Another problem with this DVD is that it frequently looks like an MTV video. By this, I mean that there is a lot of footage that doesn't quite synch up with the audio. Well, it's not really live if we're watching video from a different night, is it? One minute Hagar's wearing a shirt, the next minute he isn't. It's distracting. There are actually a couple of moments when I heard lead stuff going and saw Eddie playing a chord. That's just sloppy editing.
BTW, none of this is the band's fault. They rocked, as usual.