5.0 out of 5 stars Best Single Disc Van Morrison Collection Available!
Published on February 16, 2007 by Anthony Accordino

3.0 out of 5 stars For Completists and Newbies only
The sound, of course, is wonderful. Great songs, too. But you don't need BOTH this and "Best Of ... Volume 1" unless you're a completist. Yes, this one *does* have "Comfortably Numb," plus an unnecessary new version of "Brown Eyed Girl" and a few live versions of songs from "Best Of ... Vol. 1" But for being a supposed Academy Award inspired collection, why does this lack...
Published on March 7, 2007 by Jon Strand

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Single Disc Van Morrison Collection Available!, February 16, 2007
Anthony Accordino (Massapequa Park, New York United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Van Morrison At The Movies: Soundtrack Hits (Audio CD)
If you are in the market to own just one Van Morrison CD collection, Van Morrison "At The Movies", is the disc for you. This cd combines 19 tracks from all phases of his long distinguished career. The Irish soul man has never sounded better with remastered clarity, that makes this the choice over "Greatest Hits Vol-1 & Vol-2. This cd actually combines the best of those two collections and more. His classic gems from the "Them" days "Gloria", and "Baby Please Don't Go", are included here as well. His reworking of "Brown Eyed Girl", proves he has not lost anything from those vocal chords. His live take on "Caravan" from the "Last Waltz", is one of the finest live recordings ever. Lots of modern gems here as well, like 'Days Like This", "Real Real Gone", and the "Bright Side Of The Road". The real treat on this collection however, is the inclusion of his collaboration with Pink Floyds Roger Waters, on "Comfotably Numb", which was recorded live in Berlin in 1986 and features Rick Danko and Levon Helm. Some outstanding ballads are here as well like, "Someone Like You", "Have I Told You Lately", "Wonderful Remark", and "Hungry For Your Love". Considering the price and the fantastic content of this cd, I consider this cd essential to everyone who is both new to Van Morrison music and to well seasoned fans who would like to add a career retrospective not available until now. It doesn't get any better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Isn't Marketing A Wonderful Thing?, February 13, 2007
This review is from: Van Morrison At The Movies: Soundtrack Hits (Audio CD)
Instead of releasing Van Morrison's Greatest Hits Vol. 243, pick some songs that have appeared on soundtracks, add live versions of big hits, a couple of pre-solo songs and a couple of classics that weren't hits and suddenly you have a package that can be marketed as "At The Movies" and put in stores just in time for the Oscars.

Nevertheless, just ignore the crassness of the marketing. This is, after all, another Van Morrison's Greatest Hits and, as such, is 19 slices of heaven. A legendary performer, we get several live takes of oldies that show they remain fresh. As does everything on the CD - some of which originally dates back 40 years. It is a tribute to his genius that these songs are as vital and relevant today.

The man, the myth, the mystic - Van Morrison. It's sad such wonderful music needs this kind of marketing gimmick but if it brings younger listeners not so familiar with Van to their iPods to try the music then it is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Movies Van is Good Van, February 18, 2007
This review is from: Van Morrison At The Movies: Soundtrack Hits (Audio CD)
I'm a huge Van Morrison fan - I own everything he has ever released as well as just about every bootleg, too. With that said, when I first saw this release on the schedule I thought "Oh, I'll already own all of that stuff, so I can probably forgo buying it."

Well, I was wrong. Yes, most of the stuff on this has already been released, but if you are a Van completist, you'll need this CD. First of all, it has a couple of live versions you might not already own. But most importantly, there is a re-recorded version of "Brown Eyed Girl" that is essential. It is not better than the now 40-year-old original radio chestnut, but it is great to hear Van's mature voice on this awesome song.

And if you are a casual Van fan then this is as good a place to start as Van's Best of CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music to my ears ..., January 25, 2008
Benjamin (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Van Morrison At The Movies: Soundtrack Hits (Audio CD)
I've been a huge Van Morrison fan since my early twenties. I started buying all his music until 'The Healing Game'. I stopped there because he was releasing an average of 2 albums per year, and my financial status was becoming at risk. I am not a fan of compilations at all. I just bought this CD in a whim and I still don't know why. I may have all the songs in here except for a couple, but the quality of every track is excellent. There is not one single song that is not good. Perhaps the Pink Floyd song is helping selling this compilation a lot, since it appeared in 'The Departed', in a very interesting moment in that movie. I already had it in the 'The Wall' concert of Roger Waters in Berlin, but anyway ... This compilation may help getting a good overview of Morrison's music to those who still don't know him. It would also be a great asset in every CD collection of pop music. This compilation includes the THEM hits 'Gloria' and 'Baby Please Don't Go'. Also comes with the 'Brown Eyed Girl' super HIT. If my ears don't lie to me, I'd say these are remastered tracks. They really sound absolutely wonderful to me! The 'Moondance' live version included here is not the best I know. I like the studio version or, maybe better, the Live track included in his Live in San Francisco double album. This CD comes with an article by Michael Heatley where he tells us the movies these songs appeared in. It also includes credits for every song (no lyrics included), and a small portrait of Van Morrison (yes, with his hat on!). I would recommend this CD to anybody who would like to discover Morrison, or to have a very interesting collection of some of his best well-known hits. Then, if you like it, you can go ahead and try to get a collection of his top 10 best albums from Astral Weeks to The Healing Game. Maybe this is not a CD for those Van Morrison fans who may have all these songs already. Thanks for reading!
P.S. If you find my review helpful, vote YES (It does not mean you agree. It just means you found it helpful). You can read all my other reviews if you wish to. I modestly write them to help people form an opinion about movies, music and books, but if nobody reads them (if you don't vote I do not know if you did) there is no point in writing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silver Screen Van, February 13, 2007
This review is from: Van Morrison At The Movies: Soundtrack Hits (Audio CD)
Van Morrison's songs have been the subject of numerous compilations, but this new set has to be given credit for its unique approach to selecting the songs. This nineteen-track set compiles songs that were featured in movies (although some are live versions that substitute for the studio tracks used in the film except in the case of "Comfortably Numb"). Mr. Morrison's music is perfectly suited for movies and directors have made liberal use of his music. All of his biggest hits like "Wild Night", "Brown Eyed Girl", "Moondance" (a previously unreleased live version) and "Gloria" are included. There are lesser-known gems as well including the brilliant "Real Real Gone" from Enlightenment, "Hungry For Your Love" from Wavelength and "Days Like These" from the album of the same name. Van Morrison At The Movies is a first rate collection of songs and for anyone looking for a varied introduction to his music, this is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Yourself a favor and GET THIS!!!!!, February 24, 2007
This review is from: Van Morrison At The Movies: Soundtrack Hits (Audio CD)
First off, I did not pay for this album. I won it on a radio contest on the local Oldie's station. However if I had paid for it I would feel like the cover of "Comfortaby Numb" would have been worth every penny I paid. The whole album is so well done. Live versions of "Domino" and "Moondance" freshen up those well beloved but sometimes too familiar sounds. Even if you have most of the songs on other albums get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAJESTIC VAN MORRISON AT THE MOVIES, February 23, 2007
This review is from: Van Morrison At The Movies: Soundtrack Hits (Audio CD)
This is a magnificent collection of songs either inspired by movies or actually in the movie. Van Morrision

is showcased at his best. The inclusion of both studiio and live versions makes this truly a must for any

Morrison fan. My only regret is the omission of the great song, Sitting On Top Of the World from the movie

Evelyn. They could have substituted at least one song for this one. This is one of if not the best songs Van

has recorded in years. Buy the CD just for the song. The rest of the CD is also very good.

You will not regret it. Overall, Van Morrison At the Movies: Soundtrack Hits is truly majestic

and belongs in your music library.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars but..., February 23, 2007
This review is from: Van Morrison At The Movies: Soundtrack Hits (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant compilation, and I was most excited to see the inclusion of Comfortably Numb that was in arguably the best movie from last year, The Departed. What is a glaring omission, in my opinion, is 'Tupelo Honey' from Ulee's Gold. A better song could not have been chosen to end that movie. It completely picked up the subtle beauty of the film, not to mention the obvious connection to Ulee's honey. Nevertheless, this is definitely worth 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Van Morrison, May 8, 2007
This review is from: Van Morrison At The Movies: Soundtrack Hits (Audio CD)
I just love this collection. The live version of "Moondance" is excellent. This album is the best of his music from 1963 through today. I have been a fan for a long time but this was my first Van Morrison album purchase and it exceeded my expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic but missing a gem, February 15, 2007
David J. Rutkoski (lakewood, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Van Morrison At The Movies: Soundtrack Hits (Audio CD)
I rarely have a bad thing to say about Van the Man, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed with this compilation. It is missing a great song.
From the Russel Crowe movie Proof of Life-"I'll Be Your Lover, Too" which can be found on the album "His Band and The Street Choir"