Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

on October 30, 2004
Bought this tripod to replace an older sony tripod that only went up to my chest. It has excellent height and is a steal at $21, still, it has some problems. The old sony tripod has thinner legs but feels more solid/less shakey, probably because the connectors that go from the legs to the center column are aluminum while the mk-4's is plastic. It's stable enough though. The removable mounting piece is really cheap(but it serves it's purpose) so I use the mount from another tripod instead. Panning is not the smoothest, the legs on mine are silver which can cause bad reflections in glass, and minimum working height is 2 feet so you might want to get something to cover low shooting. It does not come with a bag but has a carrying handle. The older sony had a bag but it is VERY uncomfortable carrying a loose, dangly tripod on your back, and it is also awkward to carry without a handle. I very much prefer the handle over the bag. Even with all it's flaws I still do not regret the purchase because it is very tall, serves it's purpose well enough, and is super-cheap in price(just wish it was heavier). I use it to hold up a medium size camera, and it feels like it can hold up something like a Canon Digital Rebel with its plastic body and a lightweight 300mm lens okay, but not a heavy metal bodied SLR with a great big long lens. If you've got money for a camera like that, then you need to buy yourself a better, heavier tripod. By the way, people who NEED expensive bogen-manfrotto tripods and probably use bulky, heavy equipment have no business buying cheap-o $21 tripods and then saying how much they suck, IMHO.
VINE VOICEon January 2, 2007
When I pulled this tripod out of the box I was all set to come here and give it a glowing review. It seemed very sturdy and I really thought it was a fantastic deal. That was three days ago. Since then, I have used the tripod only a few times. Today, I was photographing some trees. When I was done I went to lower the head. I turned the crank and everything was fine until the head was about 2 inches from the base. Then the crank made an ugly grinding sound and little bits of plastic fell out from the base. The crank no longer does anything, it just spins around freely and the head is stuck at the position.

I'm going to have to buy a new tripod after only 3 days of light use.
on July 8, 2011
Over 20 years ago, I bought my very first tripod, a Vanguard for about $17.00. I loved it. However, the leg clamps that snap & lock, finally crumbled due to age. The fix for that was to fully extend the legs and put hose-clamps (like those used on cars) on the legs. However, that meant the legs were no longer adjustable and had to be used in their fully-extended position.

I just bought the Vanguard MK-4 to replace my older Vanguard tripod. This is a very good tripod for the money. They still have the same old snap-clamps on the legs, which are superb, ..... until they break. Hopefully these will last longer than the ones on my first tripod (which did last about 14 years).

CON: The Quick-Shoe (panhead) The quick-shoe that comes with this tripod (and it only comes with one) is awful! It's very thin and cheap. But the worst thing is, you have to carry a coin with you at all times to turn the screw in the bottom of the panhead. Most quick-shoes on other tripods feature a hinged flip-up wing on the screw so that you can turn it without a coin or a screwdriver. It turns out that the panhead quick-shoe for the Velbon PHD-41Q fits this Vanguard tripod perfectly and is much more secure than the Vanguard quick-shoe.

PROS: The best feature on this Vanguard tripod is the crank that raises and lowers the center post. It has a very smooth operation. It's so nice to just flip up the handle and crank it without having to worry that the tripod is going to shift from the pressure of manually trying to 'lift' or 'lower' the center post.

I would definitely buy this tripod again as long as I don't have to use the cheaply-made panhead quick-shoe that comes with it. I hope this review will help some of you out there to work around some of the Vanguard issues we've all been dealing with for years.
on September 3, 2013
Light weitht (many plastic parts), light duty (use only small camera or small optic), but light price also. You make the call.
on November 3, 2006
For the money you are paying you will get an excellent tripod. Light enought to carry around but sturdy and firm to get the quality of pictures you need. Great tripod.
on January 13, 2009
I Bought This One Online Kmart.com $[...] Plus $[...] Shipping & Sales Tax..I Could NOT Believe My Eyes When I Took It Out Of The Box!! The QUALITY-CONSTRUCTION-COLOR-Ease Of Use, Its All There! You Will NOT Be Dissapointed With This One! I've Seen Them Online From $39 Up!! By The Way
It Raises To 63 3/4" NOT 65" If This Is A Problem For You!
I Install "Cosmic" Ceilings & Walls & My Star Theater Projector Will Fit The Camera "Shoe" By Installing A 8X10 Plexiglass Platform & Some Duct Tape! Gets Me Within 3 Ft Of The Ceiling!
on June 21, 2004
Don't expect a nice product for $25, the tripod does not look very solid (made in China). The bubble is pretty useless because it is not very precise (up to 5 degrees of angle it won't detect it). The head is very inaccurate, when on the horizontal rest position, it has a 3 degrees error (which means you have to correct it by slightly raising one side). I would have expected a level position when on the rest.
I sent back my tripod presto and I will save a little bit more to buy a used Bogen/Manfrotto tripod on eBay (they can be found at ~$80 with head).
Don't waste your money on these cheapo tripods.
on May 24, 2004
I bought this MK-4 tripod when it's about 60% off. I throw away my old tripod I bought 5 years ago right after this one came out of the box. It's very well made. It has all the position I need for the studio. The quick release shoe is well designed too.
I decided to buy this MK-4 instead of VANGUARD's another nice product MK-3 because this one is several inches higher. I really need something higher.