Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

The Vanguard SBH-100 Small Magnesium Alloy Ball Head comes with a Vanguard QS-39 ¼" Camera Screw Quick Shoe, as does the Vanguard SBH-250, and obviously extras are available here. If you're using a DSLR or compact digital camera, along with almost any 35mm SLR film camera, this is the correct shoe for the Vanguard SBH-250, SBH-100, SBH-50 and SBH-30 Ball Heads.

But the product specs are completely wrong for the Vanguard SBH-100, as it lists the QS-41 and QS-43 quick shoes, and these are wrong. See the images that I posted on the product page for further details.

The Vanguard QS-40 3/8" Camera Screw Quick Shoe is the same product, but with a 3/8" camera mounting screw for many medium format and most large format cameras. Both the QS-39 and QS-40 quick shoes are what we refer to as 'coin tighteners'... they do not have a knurled knob or an attached finger tightener loop that you can lift to install or remove the camera from the quick shoe.

As far as which Vanguard tripod the QS-39 and the QS-40 quick release plates will fit depends on the tripod head, and as a user and owner, I had to do some online research to figure this out. Either of these will fit the following:

Vanguard SBH-30 Ball Head
Vanguard SBH-50 Ball Head
Vanguard SBH-100 Ball Head
Vanguard SBH-250 Ball Head

As far as tripod kits go, the VANGUARD Alta 263AB 100 kit does use this Vanguard QS-39 ¼" Camera Screw Quick Shoe, as I own it, and it was for this tripod with its SBH-100 Ball Head that I ordered it. Just remember, the QS-39 is a quick shoe with 1/4" camera screw, and the QS-40 is a quick shoe with 3/8" camera screw.

The Vanguard QS-39 ¼" Camera Screw Quick Shoe works perfectly with my SBH-100 Ball Head, and I can recommend it for any owner of the heads listed above without reservation.
review image review image
on November 19, 2014
Needed a replacement shoe after the old one was lost. The screw really needs a handle so it can be hand tightened instead of needing a coin or screwdriver to attach it to the camera. Not too much of an issue for me since I only have one camera and leave it on all the time, but I can imagine it making switching between cameras a pain.
on June 16, 2013
Works very good. It is the first quick shoe that I have owned that doesn't come loose after using a heavy camera on it for an hour or two. Just wish it had a mechanism to tighten without using a separate tool. Many have a little flip up half washer that you can use to tighten these things without a tool. Of course using a screwdriver or something like that will tighten one of these better than not using a tool, but you may not always have one in the field.
on May 10, 2013
Works great with my Nikon D80 and the Vanguard ball and socket head. Easily able to hold the camera steady even with a long zoom lens mounted.
on September 28, 2009
The review for a small part for a tripod should be short, it works, as I cannot buy the one I wanted, the original one with the pin.
on February 12, 2011
I bought a Tracker 4 tripod and wanted an extra quick shoe. Contrary to another review that says this is too small and gets loose, it fits quite tightly for me. The heads it fits in have a "secondary safety lock for security" (quoting from the side of my tripod's box) which WILL keep it from falling out, but doesn't hold it tightly at all. There is a knob on the side of the head to lock it in tightly, and it works fine with that tightened.

The only difference between this one and the one that came with the tripod is that the main screw has a slot it slides in for adjustment of where the camera sits, and there is no locator pin. I also wish the main screw had the flip up piece for added torque instead of the coin slot, but it isn't a huge deal. I'll probably leave the quick shoe attached to the camera all the time anyway. That is the whole point of getting an extra one isn't it?
on January 1, 2014
I like it - works exactly as it should.... it's an exact replacement for the original quick release shoe. I recommend it.
on August 17, 2014
Exactly as I was expecting. Added it to my 70-200 collar so I wasn't having to change it all the time.
on April 15, 2010
Vanguard lists this Quick Shoe as the correct spare for the Tracker 3 tripod, but in strict order, it's a couple of millimeters smaller than the original, so it gets loose on the tripod. Original part also had an easier screw method.

According to the text on my tripod's head, the correct spares are really QS-38 and 42, but when I did my research, I found out they were discontinued. Way to go, Vanguard.

I might have to take my tripod to Samy's and start checking quick plates to find the best fit.
on August 31, 2014
Worked fine for the Vanguard Elite 1, a discontinued tripod.