Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on September 2, 2008
I just received this little gem a few days ago and I could not be more impressed. I have a couple of table tops and they are just fine IF you are not using a zoom lens, and just need something super compact to toss in the pocket of your camera bag. I needed something that I could use with a heavy, 72mm zoom, and feel comfortable that it would be supported.

After I did some online research, the Vanguard VS-82 was what I came up with, and I figured it was worth a try.

It is like a little tank! The legs are super sturdy and I love the way the large, ridged feet angle down from the legs to give ultimate support for the unit. In my opinion, this is very well made.

You can expand the legs for additional sturdiness and height. The 'neck' also gives additional height and can be adjusted to exactly the extent that is perfect for any given situation.

It does not have a quick-release shoe, but that didn't matter one whit to me. I am happy that my full-size tripod DOES have that feature but, for a table top, it is not necessary for my use although I feel it should be mentioned.

If you are looking for a table top tripod that will not only support your camera, but support a heavy lens (I believe it says it supports up to 5.5lbs), and be nearly impossible to knock over or slide...this might just be the one for you.
1111 comments|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2012
Very lightweight and sturdy even for a large camera. Build quality is good but I wished it had a quick release plate. Good overall other than that. Talk to me Giovanni@rightclickgadet.com Vanguard VS-82 Table Top Digital Camera Tripod
33 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2008
I needed a small stabile platform to place my camera on to take photos of my daughter's wedding. I didn't want a large tripod because I didn't want the pictures that the hired photographer and others to include a tripod, which I think would really look bad. The location of the ceremony allowed the use of a nearby flat surface to put the tripod and camera on. I aimed the camera at where the bride and groom would say their vows. I used the remote control for my camera to take the photos. This was an outdoor wedding next to the ocean. There was a stiff breeze that day. After retrieving the camera and tripod I looked at the photos hoping the wind did not move the camera during the ceremony. All of the pictures were dead on. Looking closely at the edge of the photos at the background details I could tell the camera never moved. This tripod is handy. Its small size made it easy to grab with the camera attached. Things are rushed at times during a wedding. I had to grab the camera and tripod and still make it to the recieving line. I made it just in time. Had I used a larger tripod I would have spent more time collapsing the unit for travel. Well built? Yes. The joints are all well fitted. The leg extentions slide easily and when tightened they are rigid. The pan and tilt are smooth and lock down tight without cranking on the knobs. This is a great little tripod. The leg length adjustments allow for use on uneven surfaces. There is no bubble level on the unit to allow you to set the camera perfectly level. This didn't matter to me. I can look through the viewfinder and use something like a window sill (These are usually level) to level my camera shot. By making the ends of the horizontally level (window sill) item an equal distance from the bottom edge of the viewfinder image i can usually count on the photos to be level.
on March 27, 2009
This is a great little tripod. I have used it for about 3 months with a Bushnell 20 x 50 small spotting scope. It is stable, sturdy, and well made - even more than I expected on ordering. I have also mounted a 20-60 x 80 Nikon spotter just to see if it would hold it without problem. It does. For those who want a small, inexpensive tripod for table top use, this could be the bargain. Recommended.
Not too long ago, we were looking into products that could help us further out content here at MacSources. One of the items we came up with was a short, table top tripod. Part of the reason for this was so that our teleprompter (R810-10) could sit closer to us when we do video review. We started doing our research and found that the Vanguard VS-82 was exactly what we were looking for.
For starters, the VS-82 can hold up to 5.5 lbs and the teleprompter – our main reason for this search – only weighs 5 pounds. Secondly, the tripod swivels 360º and has a 2-way pan head. The versatility of a professional-grade full-size tripod packaged in a smaller, lightweight product was what we were looking for and we found it in the Vanguard VS-82.

First Impressions
Upon its arrival, we were instantly surprised at its weight. Even though we knew before ordering it that it weighs just under 1 pound, it was still a bit shocking considering how well it is made. It is made primarily from aluminum and comes equipped with a standard tripod mount. This will work with most modern cameras and can be replaced if lost.
Because it’s a table top tripod, it only measures 9 7/8” high when it’s fully extended. The nice thing about it is that when its legs are fully extended, they have a nice, wide stance and includes non-slip feet. It’s very secure and doesn’t wobble at all if it’s on a flat surface.

Utility
When we moved on to the testing of the tripod, we used several types of cameras and tripod-mountable devices. We used everything from a full size Canon DSLR to our iPad Teleprompter to an iPhone 6 (mountable with a tripod adapter) and found that the Vanguard VS-82 was a very useful, sturdy tripod. The most impressive thing to me was the teleprompter. Even though it’s lightweight in its own rite, it’s still an awkward shape and a bit front heavy. I thought for sure that the tripod would succumb to the teleprompter’s irregular measurements and tip forward. But, this little stand surprised me. It held strong and kept the teleprompter nice and steady.

Conclusions
The Vanguard VS-82 is definitely worth buying for any photographer or videographer who wants to up their game and add to their equipment arsenal. The tripod has an MSRP of $29.99 and is completely worth the price.

"This product was received at a free or discounted price in exchange for my review. I am a technology journalist and pride myself on providing fair and honest reviews. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have."
review image review image review image review image
on February 8, 2011
For a "cheap" tripod, I'm quite impressed with its quality. It holds both my heavy spotting scope perfectly and my Canon 7d without any struggle.
on April 2, 2010
I needed a small tripod for my Nikon and was having trouble finding one that would support the camera - most small tripods seem to be built for point & shoot cameras. This one works very well and transports easily. Set up is very quick. Only drawback for me is that there is limited mobility as far as setting the camera angle.
on November 23, 2014
After reading the reviews I knew you had to screw the camera right on the plate and that the plate was not a quick release, but I was hoping I would be able to unscrew the pan head and use my own ball head in it's place. Now this is where I should have done more research because now I know that once you removed the pan head/plate, there is no screw on the center pole; the pole just has a plastic top with an indention where the head tightens around it to stay in place. Again that was my fault for not doing more research.

My solution.....I removed the pan head/plate and on the center pole I melted & sliced off the top section where the indention is. It left a small hole in the plastic right in the center of the pole, so I drilled a larger hole to fit a Smallrig 3/8"-16 Female to 1/4"-20 Male Tripod Thread Reducer/Adapter (made sure it was going to be a tight fit) and glued it in place using Gorilla super glue. I was then able to screw on a Manfrotto 088LBP Adapter 1/4-Inch- 20 to 3/8-Inch with flange. Once that was all glued in place, I was able to screw on my DMKFoto Heavy Duty Ball Head with Quick Release Plate.

I didn't return the Vanguard tripod because I first thought I was okay with the tripod as it was (screw my dslr on every time I was going to use the tripod). When it became a pain, I knew I had to either purchase another tripod or customize this one to my liking.

I already had the ball head:

I only had to purchase these adapters:

review image review image review image review image
on January 15, 2011
I loved this tripod when I first got it. But after just a short period, I can't get it to hold my camera in place; it falls over. I have tightened it as much as I can, to no avail.

Am I the only one who has had this problem?
on February 3, 2009
It's a very good table tripode, you can put on it a big camera like Nikon D300 with big lens (one pound more) and it's very stable. Leg's are extendible. I don't like you cant put the camera in vertical position, even than it's a good product.