Vanille & Fang Conundrum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2010 10:57:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2010 11:04:59 AM PDT
The only problem I see that some parents might have with the game is that there is a debate as to whether or not Vanille and Fang are lesbian lovers. While I haven't a problem with LGBT characters (though I'd admit I'd be sad in this case since Vanille is the most attractive of the characters lol), I have always pointed to the FF games as being far more family friendly. The games are not overtly "occult" (as some worry about fantasy games) and the games don't have realistic combat (in comparison to the blood and guts of, say, Dragon Age).

That is to say, at least for me, the FF games have always been games I could readily say parents could have in their houses. After all, parents do have a right to dictate and know what their kids are playing. But in this case, as the characters are subtly lesbian in their relationship, or so many have said, this would then be one less game I could point to that families wouldn't have a problem with their kids playing. With overtly lesbian characters, then, some families might fear that game companies are trying to indoctrinate PC motivations to kids.

Has Square Enix said anything about this? If not, I wonder what their thoughts are. Doing a quick check on the web, from places like gamefaqs, people are talking aloud about these two characters. Again, it isn't that I myself have a problem with gay or lesbian characters...in fact I'm all in favor of LGBT marriages and service in the military. On the other hands, I want to have the right answers to parents who do worry about some of the things that kids are calling for. I'd hate to have parents say I lie to them about safety issues.

What say you?

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 6:34:23 AM PDT
Devi says:
Wait, what. Other than Vanille is young, I see no issue even if they were lesbians. What I find odd about your issue is you don't even bring up the whole Sazh and Vanille thing that is on going in the game. His looking at her, his comments ("Something smells like fish and I am going to find it." When he is following behind her and looking at her butt), his OBVIOUS age difference. That is way more frightning than a couple of lesbians.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2010 1:18:57 PM PDT
Are you serious? Just because they're lesbians, it's not "family friendly?" You're absolutely pathetic.

Posted on Mar 29, 2010 8:06:02 AM PDT
Mary Rivera says:
I always thought they seemed more mother-daughter-y

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2010 1:43:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 30, 2010 6:21:48 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 1:50:08 PM PDT
Erm...Ya, the Sazh/Vanille thing is much more prominent than any supposed "lesbianism."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 10:54:48 PM PDT
Kat Bishop says:
@ Devi
I agree, but the age difference, believe it or not, between Vanille and Fang is actually quite tiny. Vanille is supposed to be 19, and Fang is supposed to be 21, that's only two years, which is definitely socially acceptable especially since they are both over 18. The only issue I can see people having with them is the fact that they are the same gender and obviously there are always going to be homophobic people around. What can you do? But that is why Square didn't make them "official", it is, IMO, clearly implied, but it is more left up to the player to decide if their relationship is romantic or merely very very close.
The Sazh and Vanille thing I noticed a little at the beginning, but I think once he realizes "she's just a kid" in personality and in age comparison he loses interest and sees her more of a little sister/ daughter type, since he associates her with his son a few times. I dunno, that's what I got from it anyways.

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 6:20:59 PM PDT
Jigglypuff says:
It's very clearly implied. But SE isn't in the right stages yet to do that in full blow-out. Even if homosexuality is treated with more of a shrug in Japan. This is a product that is suppose to make millions. Leaving it vague and for the fans makes both sides calm. One can play the game and be content with a sister-like relationship. Or, one could research a bit more into the development of FFXIII or read the signs being pointing in a romantic gesture.

I didn't quite think of them being so 'together' until the symbolism tied at the ending. My two cents. Everyone will have their own thoughts but these two feel like a good pairing. Not fully forced on us like Square did with Yuna and Tidus, but something a bit more deeper seeing how they've known each other for so long.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 10:36:10 AM PDT
David Walker says:
It's proper lame... Complete cop-out. If they wanted to be high and mighty (which it seems a lot of you guys are as well) they'd have put a guy/guy relationship in there. Otherwise it's just a case of upping the ratings and pretending you give a shite about gay rights and portrayal in media. When actually you're just a little bit excited by it.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 3:24:26 PM PDT
weird i never got the vibe that fang and vanille were together there is symbolism at the end but i always considered it to be sisterly or mother daughter kind of thing
but tbh is having lesbians in a final fantasy a surprise or even a shock in ff7 cloud did have that transvestite part i know he did it for a reason but still he did do it
and 9 had a shemale
not to mention that scene in 8 were squall was on the electric thing sure they stole it from mgs but that is a sign of other things when u think about it
so ya maybe they are maybe they arnt i dont care and i wouldnt be surprised either way

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 12:42:31 AM PDT
Noah says:
I really dont see it as lesianism. Fang states a couple of times that thier "family". And like another person mentioned, this relationship seemed more mother and daughterly.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 12:56:03 AM PST
Zadion says:
I never once saw Vanille and Fang as lesbian partners while I played through the game, and to say it was "clearly implied" is outright BS if ya ask me. I can see how some people may get that idea, but I certainly didn't, and I know a lot of others didn't as well. And even if it was more implied, it really doesn't detract from the "family-friendly" aspect of the game, because it wasn't stated that they are.

As for Sazh and Vanille, Sazh called her a "kid" several times in the game. And yes, he even compared her to his son. I have no idea where people got the idea of him hitting on her, because he never acts as anything more than a father to her.

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 12:20:18 AM PDT
Yeah, I always pictured it as more of a sisterly thing. If you think about it, they're the only two left from their time, so they stick close together because they're all each other has got.

As far as "family friendly," are you serious? If you want to get technical with the "family friendly aspect," Cloud gets in a hot tub with about 5 giant bears and dresses up as a woman in FFVII. In multiple games you've got people trying their damnest to kill somebody else in some form or another. Hell, in FFVII you've got a freakin' cult following Sephiroth around that line up to get stabbed by him in one scene if I recall. Somehow I don't think the "family friendly" games would be tarnished that much even if there was something more to Vanille and Fang's relationship (even though I see no implication).

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 9:45:35 AM PDT
Michelle says:
I must say that behind all the ambiguous signs, Fang has a deep love and care for Vanille. But I must say that Vanille is not really reciprocating that love beyond a sister or best friend feeling. It seems more like a one sided thing on Fang part. And maybe thats why it is left on a more open reading to the final fantasy fans. IMO Fang loves Vanille much like Snow loves Serah.

"I'll tear down the sky if it'll save her"

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 10:43:49 AM PDT
I'd say it's open for interpretation, but I see it as a sisterly relationship. Fang acts as a protective older sister to Vanille. In fact, I thought they were literally sisters until I looked up their surnames. I do see how the romantic relationship could be inferred though. Maybe it was left intentionally ambiguous? Either way, a gay relationship wouldn't make the game less "family friendly".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Final Fantasy XIII - Playstation 3
Final Fantasy XIII - Playstation 3 by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
3.6 out of 5 stars   (852)