5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, Kept me guessing

Published on November 10, 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, Kept me guessing, April 27, 2001
A. Y. Smittle (Winchester, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Well, I am not the best mystery reader, but I was kept in suspense until I FINALLY figured it out ie when the author disclosed exactly "who-dun-it." So you can imagine the state of my household while I gasped with horror and terror at every turn of the page---neglectfully letting babies cry and starve and laundry unwashed as I nervously continued on, determined to find out who killed----what if------surely not Miss Emily!! Etc... All in all---very good story. An eccentric couple wins the lottery and purchases and renovates their dream house in Old Virginny. In steps our heroine, a lawyer undercover as a rose expert, there to help the couple replant the old family garden. The couple goes away, three "suspects" move in, a love story in the background, gosh, what else could there be? A little "lecture" on how hard it is to get funding for historic preservation, good one, Ms Michaels, and overall, you have one delicious novel! This is one of her good ones. Read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A paranormal murder mystery, September 10, 2005
cb (Minot, ND) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vanish with the Rose is an astounding murder mystery with a twist of paranormal. My sister recommended this book and what a wonderful adventure. The basic story is about a lawyer who pretends to be rose expert to solve a haunting mystery. You have mix of murders, ghosts and amazing friendships. She finds herself falling love with the old house and developing compassionate friends. I would recommend this book and I would also suggest The Ice House by Minette Walters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well researched., July 8, 1999
By A Customer
This book exerted an energy towards me, not much unlike the paranormal forces Diana felt in the house. The energy was alive with laughter, excitement, apprehension and fear. Every page was filled with shivery anticipation of what deadly secrets Diana would discover next and I found myself unable to put the book down until my fears were appeased a little. I loved every character, especially Andy, whose wit and charm and unnerving loquacity (genetic, right?) made him the perfect hero for this suspense novel. Diana is the kind of woman any sensible young girl wants to grow up to be--- independent, clever and as tough as nails. She finds that deception and betrayal have close ties to love and obligation. Her brother, Brad, teaches her this from the grave and Diana becomes aware of inner strength she never knew she had. It's one of the longest Michaels' books I've ever read and I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another keeper, August 9, 2010
This review is from: Vanish with the Rose (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a favorite I reread every summer or so. This suspense takes place during a Virginia spring.

It's the characters who draw me back. This cast of four is outstanding.

It's set in a rural, rundown mansion being renovated by a lively pair of elderly lottery winners who are offstage most of the book.

Andy, the hapless son of the endearing wife, is my favorite. Tall, gangly, talkative, he lives and bumbles on the page, with a history of saddling his mother and stepfather with "vintage" cars and animals that need a home. That includes Baby, a Saint Bernard trained to protect women. Her MO? Knock them down and recline on them until the danger passes.

Walt is a builder hired to do the work. Tall, muscled, prickly, he's dragged into a dab of dishonesty by an attractive, cool Philly attorney, and it doesn't sit well.

Diana is searching for her younger brother. Brad worked for the former owner of the house, and disappeared from there. Diana has gained entry by posing as a landscape architect hired to recreate the gardens, especially the rose gardens--and it doesn't sit well. Plus, Diana is, for the first time, flying in the face of her powerful, domineering father to do this.

Fiercely independent Mary Jo has several jobs, including working for Andy's parents, goes to school, and has an abusive ex-husband who turns up shooting.

Bring them all together in the old Musser mansion, season them with a little attraction, a dash of the paranormal, a spoonful of the history of roses, throw in a short, parallel historical story, and they start looking out for each other. Add a bevy of animals, and another keeper is born.

And every chapter begins with a lovely quote or verse about roses.

Like I said, a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Excellent, February 15, 2000
This was the first of Barbara Michael's books that I ever read, and what a way to start! This book is incredible, very intelligent, well researched, and completely entertaining. I have since read all of her books, including those under Elizabeth Peters, and I have yet to be disappointed. If you want a book to make you think, I reccomend snagging this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little boring, but educational, November 10, 1998
By A Customer
I thought this book was well done in terms of education in roses. But, I am not all that interested in this topic, so I found the book duller than the books whe writes on archaelogy and Egyptology. I did find the female protagonist to be a strong minded character, and enjoyed her modern independent personality, but the rest of the novel was not as entertaining, somehow. The romance aspect of the book was not explored as much as I would have liked it to have been explored. I would have liked a few of the characters to have a little more depth and personality.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Great Book!, May 3, 1997
By A Customer
It took me two days to read this book. I was glued to the pages and I love the way it twists and turns until the ending is a complete surprise. It has everything: humor, suspense, romance and it even has a dog I fell in love with. It really is a great mystery

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, June 23, 1999
By A Customer
I thougth it was a great book that I just couldn't put down. I have read twice and I think people who enjoy her books should love this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was good, but it could have been better . . . ., June 14, 1999
By A Customer
I am an extremely dedicated fan of Barbara Michaels, and in my opinion this is not one of her better books. The overall plot was good, but I didn't really think there was enough reason for the haunting ghosts and the dancing music associated with Martha Fairwether. I also thought it would have been a whole lot better if Diana ended up with Walt instead of Andy, because the latter is sort of a dufus. If you really want a great Michaels book, check out the following: OUT OF THE DARKNESS, WINGS OF THE FALCON, BE BURIED IN THE RAIN, SONS OF THE WOLF, and THE GREY BEGINNING

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Slow Moving!, September 17, 2014
This review is from: Vanish with the Rose (Mass Market Paperback)
Could not get beyond 100 pages! I usually give a book about 50 pages and if there is any interest, I can continue. I gave this book the benefit of the doubt but there is no plot. One hundred pages and all I learned about was landscaping and roses. If I had not read the jaacket blurb I wouldn't have had a clue that the lead character's brother was missing! Would only recommend if you are into slow-moving stories.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Vanish with the Rose
Vanish with the Rose by Barbara Michaels (Mass Market Paperback - September 30, 2008)
$7.99