Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Style Name: USB 2.0 to 7.1 Channel Audio|Change

on April 18, 2012
I bought it because the laptop has stereo sound and I wanted at least 5.1 for when I can take advantage of it. I read that the card works in Windows and Linux as well, which is true (Windows 7 and Ubuntu in my case). It is automatically recognized (though in Ubuntu I had to reboot for "output" to be recognized; I also had to install Pavucontrol to enable 7.1 instead of the default stereo sound). My laptop's internal sound card output is a bit bass heavy. The Vantec card gives a more natural sound, IMHO. I would certainly buy it again. I didn't try the digital connection or microphone, so I can't comment on that.

Cons: I found the powerful LEDs to be annoying. I plan to obscure them with some black tape. This may be an issue if aesthetics are important/you place this in a visible spot. I planned to have this card hidden from view anyway, so the tape will be a non-issue for me.
on January 15, 2015
[Update: After experimenting for a while I discovered I didn't' have true 5.1 and/or 7.1 surround sound - Found a Fix]

Hello again. (June 6th, 2015) update: I was tinkering around my sound card and noticed that I didn't have true surround output with the fix I showed to you. Fortunately there's a workaround for installing the program and outputting correctly the sound. This has been tested on Windows 10 Build 10130.

Here it goes:

1st. Download this file

2nd. Open it and extract its content anywhere, in the case of this example I'm going to open the file and copy and paste
the folder "CM6206-1.08(QR)" into my desktop. There will be a bunch of folders in there.

3rd. DO NOT CLICK Setup.exe (I know you did it ;) )

4th. Go to the extracted folder and head into "WIN81(WHQL)", there you will see a "Setup.exe" and "Setup.ex_" file YES, with the underscore at the end!.

5th. Rename "Setup.exe" to "Setup.exe_bak" (or whatever)

6th. Rename "Setup.ex_" to "Setup.exe"

7th. Run "Setup.exe" by double clicking or pressing enter.

8th. You will now see the "Installing USB Multi-Channel Audio Device". If it asks you to connect it, connect the device.

9th. Restart your PC.

10th. After restarting on the task bar at the right (system tray) you'll see a blue icon. Double click to configure

11th. Enjoy! :D

****ORIGINAL****

Here's a quick guide on how to get working it on Windows 10 (and other Windows versions in case setup does not work):

1st. Download this file

3rd. DO NOT CLICK Setup.exe (I know you did it ;) )

4th. Plug in your device to your PC, wait for Windows to finish installing your device. (It doesn't matter if you plugged in the device before extracting the files, but before step 5 you need to have it plugged in!)

5th. After Windows finished installing the device, head to Device Manager. To open it, press start and type "Device Manager" Or press Win + X, then M

6th. Go where it says "Sound, video and game controllers", and find USB Audio Device. Right Click on it and select "Update Driver Software"

7th: Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

8th: Now, where it said "Search for driver software in this location, click "Browse". And go to the extracted folder, since in my case I extracted it to the desktop I head to the desktop, and open my folder.

Go to this folder:
(this is your extracted folder)
CM6206-1.08(QR) => WIN81(WHQL) => SoftwareDriver

With SoftwareDriver highlighted, press OK.

9. Click Next

10. Wait for Windows to finish installing the drivers.

11. Go to the Speaker icon at the right bottom of your taskbar. Right click and select "Playback Devices"

12. Select "Digital Output" and then "Set Default". Press OK

13. You now have setup your digital adapter! :D :D :D

In case you need to roll back to your previous configuration, repeat steps 11 - 12. Instead of selecting "Digital Output" select your original device.

Now about the proper product, I've seen an increase in sound quality Sounds louder, brighter and deep bass can be appreciated. I'm no audiophile so I don't have that ability to perceive great sound quality... But for me it was worth the addition!

Now rocking 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound in my Y510p ;)
on December 30, 2011
I had to write a review for this item, i had one of those small USB Adapters which were good to replace a burnt sound card on my laptop, but the problem is that if I raised the volume too much i'd get a very nasty noise and the sound quality was just mediocre and OH, NO EQUALIZER <---

I purchased this product because I bought some good headphones(MDR-XB500's) and wanted to take advantage of them, let me just say that i'm VERY PLEASED, very great value and quality, I can't see how I could have gotten a better product, honestly. It comes with an Equalizer which is great with many features.

Like the other reviewer mentioned, this allows you to set your audio output to 24 bit!!! Why don't they include this in the advertising, package, label? It makes no sense, it's such an amazing feature. The other 24-bit adapters are all over $90 range.

Do not let the cheap price fool you, this is very incredible!
on May 30, 2013
My new PC only supported 2.0 sound, so I was looking for something that would support the 5.1 speakers from my old PC. I looked at internal cards first, but they all seemed to be a bit more than I wanted to spend, so I tried this external audio device and it works great. I put a couple of movies in the DVD player and the 5.1 sound is excellent.

The housing is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, which should be fine, but it is almost too compact. The USB and optical ports are on one side, the speaker and headphone outputs are on the other side, and the third side has the microphone jacks, so no matter how you attempt to situate the box, you're looking at cables. I ended up putting it under the desk on top of the PC, but that makes it hard to get to the volume buttons on top. Minor inconvenience.

The software setup is a bit disconcerting. It comes with a setup CD, but I downloaded the newest drivers from the manufacturer's website and ran the setup.exe file. A reboot is required, and after the reboot I started getting a lot of pop-ups asking permission to run "cm106eye.exe." Windows was alerting me that the file was not digitally signed. Before allowing it to run, I searched the internet to see what this file was and almost every search result said this was some sort of virus. Cautious, I didn't allow it to run. Although I got sound from the speakers, it wasn't correct. The center speaker and subwoofer were playing the same thing, and there was no sound from the back speakers. I also didn't have any access to the audio settings for the device. I checked and saw I had a restore point from a two-day-old Windows update, so I rebooted and allowed the unsigned files to run. There were no complaints from Microsoft Security Essentials. The surround sound started working and it is now allowing access to all of the features on the soundcard! I checked the files and they appear to be authored by C Media Inc...C M Eye.

Great sound in a small package.
on September 30, 2015
I have NOT had any issues with this device.

This line is tricky and can be read two ways:
"Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports through a single USB connection"

They don't just mean 2 switched ports, they mean 2 full Ethernet NIC interfaces, each with its own MAC address. Said differently, this device has two Gigabit ports EACH have have their own Ethernet controller.

This dual NIC feature doesn't imply any better, or worse performance, it is just different than some might expect.

These 2 separate Ethernet NIC interfaces EACH show up in Device manager as "Realtek USB GbE Family Controller". I was expecting one controller and the 2 ports each sharing one switch (i.e. thinking the 2nd port is there for convenience with cabling, say when talking to an Arduino or Raspberry Pi 6 inches away), but my assumption was wrong. So here you have 2 different Ethernet interfaces, not just 2 switched ports. Some may really like this.

You could plug each of these RJ45 ports into a different network (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x) and use your OS to route between (bridge) the 2 interfaces/ports. This could be very interesting for some.
on May 4, 2012
I was actually surprised that this little thing was so perfect. I got it to hook up my 5.1 speakers to my iMac and it does the job beautifully. I just plugged in the USB cord to the computer and the adapter, then plugged my speakers into the adapter. It popped right up under my sound settings and I picked it as my primary output device. Voilà! Sound output and physical build quality are excellent! I would've been happy if I paid $50 instead of the $25 I did pay.
55 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2016
Since I don't already have a 7.1 sound card, I had to get this adapter.

BUILD QUALITY:
This is a very small adapter, so it is already safe to assume that it is not going to have some majorly high SNR or bit rate. But that is OK for the price. I must admit, this unit was sturdily built but feels a little flimsy. The cable that came with it is quite short (at about around 2.5 feet) and I was not able to get it to sit on my desk so instead it sits on top of my desktop computer. Big downer.

SOUND QUALITY:
Before hand, I have tried 5.1 on my ASUS sound card and then I switched to 7,1 through this sound card. There was no difference in sound quality although my sound card did sound a little smoother than this adapter. But I think that is an OK sacrifice for getting more audio channels. There is a settings menu that comes in the software and it does come with virtual 7.1 but it also comes with true 7.2 as well.

CONCLUSION:
Honestly, if you have the money, get a decent sound card with 7.1 jacks and a headphone jack so you don't have to get an adapter for each. But if you are on a bit of a budget, than this is a great solution to your problem.
on July 12, 2013
Most cheap USB to Serial Port converters support the bare minimum of the standard nine pins supplied. Reducing the functionality allows manufacturers to use cheaper and less components, which keeps the cost down. The Vantec USB to Serial Adapter (CB-USB20SR) supports all pins' functionality! I've tried multiple adapters from multiple manufacturers. This is the cheapest fully functional and reliable adapter on the market.

I've used this successfully on Windows 2000, XP & 7. I've used it on both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports. Buy with confidence. If you have questions, just post a comment to this review.
on October 26, 2015
Yeay!!!! It worked!!!!I have speaker sound again!!!!the cd did not have win 10 driver do I downloaded from the website, installed, rebooted and sound worked!!!! Sounds great!!! My computer sound card was integrated with my motherboard and the soldering for the jack came loose. Not such an easy fix so I ordered an internal sound card but it didn't fit right so de used to try this. Yeay!!!!! ( ordered a USB hub at the same time)
on December 10, 2013
I use this as a second wired Ethernet interface for network diagnostics with my Linux laptop. Works well, no problems, and doesn't look or feel cheap like some other USB Ethernet adapters I have used.

I use it with Ubuntu Linux 12.04. It didn't work out of the box, but the manufacturer has a link to the driver to use. It built and worked cleanly, so overall a good Linux experience for bleeding edge hardware with an aging distro.