The 7th edition of this market-leading textbook offers a clear, straightforward way to understand the often intimidating subject of psychiatric mental health nursing. Its practical, clinical perspective and user-friendly writing style help you quickly master key concepts. Clinical chapters follow the nursing process framework and progress from theory to application with a wealth of real-world examples to prepare you for practice.
- UNIQUE! A conversational, user-friendly writing style helps you quickly grasp complex psychiatric mental health nursing concepts.
- Clinical chapters are logically and consistently organized with sections on the clinical picture, epidemiology, comorbidity, etiology, and application of the nursing process.
- Clinical chapters follow the nursing process, providing you with consistent guidelines for comprehensive assessment and intervention.
- Vignettes prepare you for real-world practice with personal, descriptive characterizations of patients with specific psychiatric disorders.
- Coverage of psychopharmacology in clinical chapters familiarizes you with specific drug treatment options, including the most commonly used drugs and important nursing considerations for their use.
- Assessment Guidelines boxes list essential guidelines for comprehensive patient assessment.
- Case Studies with Nursing Care Plans present individualized histories of patients with specific psychiatric disorders and include interventions with rationales and evaluation statements for each patient goal.
- A separate chapter on cultural implications, as well as Considering Culture boxes throughout the text, provides essential information on culture, worldviews, and techniques for providing culturally competent care.
- Coverage of treatment and recovery in the community addresses the need for successful ongoing psychiatric mental health nursing care in the community setting.
- A chapter on end-of-life care examines the psychological impact of terminal illness and death on patients, families, and nurses.
New content on integrative care -this content will cover patient centered medical homes, integrated care clinics and the role of advanced practice nurses in psychiatric care
*Relevant QSEN competencies will be introduced in Chapter One, Mental Health and Mental Illness, and will be integrated throughout the text. A common sense, and how it applies to practice, approach will be used to highlight the competencies relevant to psych nursing care such as safety, communication, evidence based practice and others.
* Include more content and discussion on genetics as the basis for psychological disorders. Will consider a new chapter or add this content to Chapter 3, Biological Basis for Understanding Psychotropic Drugs
*Enhance content on the health promotion and prevention of illness in pediatric patients
*The author has secured a knowledgeable, expert contributor to develop meaningful, concept maps for the clinical chapters and we will work to revise our current concept map creator on Evolve to be more state of the art
*Integrate the DSM-V to the extent that we know prior to publication to make our text as current as possible. DSM-V content is to be released in Spring 2013 while our text is in production. All relevant and updated NANDA content will be included as well
* The number of photos and illustrations will be increased to add to the appeal of the text (per reviewer comments). One example is to include normal brain images in the clinical chapters that are also accompanied by an image demonstrating clinical pathology (eg: schizophrenia)