Published 14 months ago by jptsr1

3.0 out of 5 stars OK only if used correctly
The varivalve is very aggressive and vents too quickly for most applications. It is best to vent radiators slower and steam mains very fast if you want even quiet heat.

They can be useful on some problem radiators but should almost never be adjusted all the way open. If they are not used correctly they can cause more problems than they solve.
Published 7 months ago by Bob C

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Wont help in every situation but they are great for fine tuning., November 29, 2013
This review is from: Varivalve 925005-00 Adjustable Angle Vent Valve (Tools & Home Improvement)
These are great vents if you understand how they (and your heating system work). I'll leave the explanation of a one pipe steam system to your own personal Google-Fu mastery, but this device will help you control the rate at which your radiator expels air and fills with steam. Even at the "closed" setting these vent fairly fast. Probably comparable to a Gorton #4 when they are set to closed. When they are set to open the vent nearly as quickly as having no valve at all but with the benefit of the vent closing when the steam reaches them. These are particularly helpful with troublesome radiators or getting the steam where you need it when you need it. In my 100 year old Dutch (with the heating system being nearly as old) these things are a God-send. I have them on nearly every radiator and I can balance my runs so that the steam hits them all at almost the same time. These will not fix a severely unbalanced system or correct problems like clogging ore water hammer (banging) but they will help tweak a system that is a little out of sorts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heat on the first night, October 28, 2013
I don't normally write reviews but I was so impressed with this product that I wanted to share my results with everyone else with a steam radiator system. I moved into my 1920 home earlier this year and found that we weren't getting a lot of heat on our 2nd floor. The steam seemed to languish in the basement & 1st floor and never make its way upstairs. After a lot of research & advice (hard water might have clogged old vents, etc.), I bought some replacement valves but those didn't seem to do much. So after more research and advice, I decided to pay a bit more for these vents & installed two last night & set the heat to 70 (downstairs).

Normally, I would have been huddled under a blanket but last night, I actually shed blankets. The radiator in our room was heating the whole room so well I actually went downstairs and turned down the temperature. It's great & I honestly can't describe how happy I am with the product. I think it has to do with the size of the opening. Compared to the other vents, this one seem to have an opening 2x the size when it's fully open.

I'll be installing the others tonight and then will be on a mission to tune them to get a consistent temperature through the house.

Great product in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me from a slow mental breakdown, December 24, 2013
The vent (valve?) on my bedroom radiator had some sort of serious problem--it constantly made noises like a teakettle going off. I hadn't slept in weeks and was going completely insane. Enter this vent valve. I installed it in three seconds. The noise stopped. I slept. Life was glorious.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL, March 21, 2014
This valve regulated a radiator that had been extremely noisy and spitting water for several years. Several different "regular" valves had been installed by building management and they did nothing. When the water spitting became so bad that it cracked and soaked the plaster behind the radiator, I decided to to for the good one, as recommended by Amazon reviews.

I installed it as soon as there was no heat and I could turn off the wheel. Not knowing what an ideal setting might be, I opened it about 1/3rd of the way. The heat came on and all I heard was a low blowing sound. No hiss, no spitting water and a nice hot radiator. I later opened it to the 1/2 way position and the radiator seems to be staying hot a little longer.

I live in a building constructed in 1902 and many radiators have needed "help". But I've never used a valve that had such an immediate and almost complete effect. I'm impressed

5.0 out of 5 stars Allows ample air to escape and brings the steam straight to the heater, December 25, 2013
I live in a very long house and my bedroom is all the way to the front of the house and two floors up. My boiler is somewhere right in between but always has problems reaching the extremities because the thermostat is nearest to the radiator that is directly above the boiler. I've tried various valves and nothing really worked well. Some would allow too much steam, some didn't allow enough, some held water and some were too loud. These however works perfectly.

I have this baby at full throttle and when the heat starts coming up it reaches my bedroom radiator quickly, the air is pushed out with a nice whooshing sound and once the steam hits the varivalve goes quiet immediately! It will occasionally whoosh, maybe 20 times a day but it's not loud and barely noticeable.

I've had this in for 4 years now, still works perfect, occasionally catches a perfect storm then a weird whoosh and whistles (maybe 2 times per season) but that is fixed by closing it and opening it. No water buildup (which makes me think this will last a decade) makes it even better since I don't have to worry about moisture hitting my wood floors.

Overall, I would rate this the best valve out in the market. I also have this for my other extremity but that's on a lower floor and it works fine there as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, May 28, 2013
works great, the old radiators are back up and running and banging much less. worth the extra money for this kind of valve

5.0 out of 5 stars but these babies are good. i have mostly ventrite 1As which have much ..., October 30, 2014
our home was build in the early 40s when people who knew what the hell they were doing with steam pipes, were fighting a war. the idiots who remained here installed my steam system with no main vents and no way to add main vents without redoing a bunch of piping at a major expense. a couple of these, though not ideal, allows almost as much air to escape as quickly as a main vent. that's allowed me to cut heating bills by about 20%. only downside is that if your whole system fills with water, they don't shut off. they'll leak. but if your whole system fills with water, you're probably going to have a flood anyway. they do spit a little bit here and there, but these babies are good. i have mostly ventrite 1As which have much smaller, but adjustable orifices, and then a couple of these on the rads furthest from the boiler. it works out well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this right now!, February 9, 2014
I wasn't sure about spending so much for a radiator valve. Then I thought about the fact that I never leave my bedroom radiator on at night because of the horrible hissing and spitting sounds it makes. Then I clicked "buy" as quickly as possible.

So glad I did. It's almost silent -- just a quiet "sssss" when the radiator is on. I'm able to control the heat. No leaks of water yet. I've tried a few styles of valve in the past and would never go back.

Seems silly to lavish praise on a piece of plumbing, but OMG is this thing worth getting. I'm buying another right now, for the one in my daughter's room.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best vents for steam radiators that you can buy, January 24, 2013
I have one of these vents on every single radiator in the house. They are well-made, attractive, and when they are working correctly, they are completely quiet. I cannot speak highly enough of these. Anyone who has burping, hissing, splurting, coughing, or loud vents should try a Varivalve and fall in love with their radiators all over again.

Like all mechanical devices, however, they are subject to wear and ultimately failure. No steam vent will last a lifetime, though your radiators might. Recently, I replaced two old vents with two of these new ones. Unfortunately, one of the new vents was defective and needs to be returned. Otherwise, a fine product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a very large radiator, December 10, 2014
We have a huge radiator dating back to 1907, when our building was heated several times a day by coal. With a standard cone-shaped air valve, steam condensed inside before the valve shut off, so we had a lot of gurgling and banging. The old valve also filled with water and had to be periodically drained and cleaned.

The Varivalve allows the radiator to fill quickly and almost noiselessly when its vent is opened all the way. Since the valve seat is at the bottom, water can't condense inside.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›