5.0 out of 5 stars dam fine boots, dam fine
I never write reviews ever... I always felt like I did not want to waiste my time. However I realized after spending hours and days of serching for the perfect hiking boots, how important reviews are to help one find the right boot.

Published on July 17, 2009 by S. Schneider

3.0 out of 5 stars true to size for me
First of all they run true to size.I went to a local
outfitter and tried the exact same boot before ordering from Amazon
because of the controversy and I'm glad I did.Had I taken other reviewers advice
and ordered a size larger they would have been to big.
I do a lot of bushwack hiking in rugged desert terrain
and was very pleased with these...
Published on January 7, 2010 by Troy Olson

5.0 out of 5 stars dam fine boots, dam fine, July 17, 2009
This review is from: Vasque Men's Breeze GTX Hiking Boot (Apparel)

I live in the rocky mountains of montana and needed a top level boot. I have serched and tryed a ton of brands, and I must say... vasque Rules!

I use to own the original zephers before vasque re did them and messed them up. I needed something to replace my vasque zephers, I hiked all over Iceland and montana in snow, mountains and volcanic rock with my 1st pair and they were amazing. So I figured... why not come back to vasque for a new pair of boots since almost every other brand i have tryed besides merrill have felt crappy to me.

I just got the breeze gtx in the mail and have not hiked in them yet, but have worn them around were I live. They feel even better than my 1st pair of zephers. They do not need to be broken in at all and they have a bit of a strech effect to them that felt like a custom fit around my foot, the boot felt to form fit around my feet and are not tight or stiff what so ever.

One big thing you must know about vasque before you buy them is this... Always order 1 size higher then what you normally wear. vasque is not true to foot size. I wear size 14, and with both pairs of vasques I have had to get size 15.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excllent hiking boots.. Vasque Breeze rocks!, October 21, 2009
This review is from: Vasque Men's Breeze GTX Hiking Boot (Apparel)
I have now used my new Vasque Breeze GTX (Goretex lined) hiking boots on two challenging day hikes in the White Mountains (NH) and Baxter State Park (ME) and a weekend backpack in the Bigelow Preserve near Sugarloaf. Since all of these 'field tests' took place in New England, the conditions varied from dry to damp to the snow & ice of this past weekend. These boots are very comfortable and provided good grip in all conditions. You can hike in them with confidence and comfort. They are very breathable, as my feet stayed dry even as I hiked strong and when I stepped into some mud or water, not one drop penetrated. Prior to these hiking boots, I had been addicted to Merrills and thought that would be my boot company forever. Well, Vasque has pushed Merrill aside. You will be pleased with the Vasque Breeze. Happy and safe hiking to you.

UPDATE: Last month (July 2011), I finally returned to Yellowstone and did a five day backcountry backpack with these great boots and some fun day hiking, too. These boots performed very well, with solid support and real comfort. Next time I intend to get the version of these boots that has a rubberized front and sides to make sure they hold up to repeated wet conditions.

(By the way, let's welcome the wolves back to Maine and the Northeast. It will be good for the ecology of our region, for the wolves and for ourselves that we welcome them home here. It's time to make amends to the wolf for the horrific way they were maligned and mistreated in an earlier time and to finally correct that injustice.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe, July 5, 2009
its nice and light weight and has a lot of support and cushion for your feet for those long days hiking or just doing nothing around town.

3.0 out of 5 stars true to size for me, January 7, 2010
First of all they run true to size.I went to a local
outfitter and tried the exact same boot before ordering from Amazon
and ordered a size larger they would have been to big.
I do a lot of bushwack hiking in rugged desert terrain
and was very pleased with these boots until about two
months into them and the stitching,supporting the upper
lace hooks gave out on one of boots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hiking boots, January 30, 2011
I bought these boots on my older brother's recommendation. He has had a pair of the Vasque Breeze boots for several years and he has only good things to say about them. He uses them regularly for Boy Scout hikes with his son. I bought my pair a year ago and have used them on several multi-mile backpacking trips over tough Arizona backcountry. I am similarly impressed. They have held up well. Good ankle support, good traction, stay dry when crossing shallow creeks, and most importantly, they are VERY COMFORTABLE. I highly recommend these boots. I tried on a pair at a large outdoor store to find the right size, then ordered them on Amazon and paid about $40 less than the outdoor store was charging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots, August 6, 2010
This review is from: Vasque Men's Breeze GTX Hiking Boot (Apparel)
Purchased these for backpacking in the mountains and wilderness areas. First trip so far was Dolly Sods WV. Some of the most rocky and difficult terrains I've had to traverse. Boots held up well. Very stable over uneven terrain. No problems with water, and the tread is pretty aggressive. But no matter what they say, Gore-Tex is not all that breathable. For the ultimate summer hiking boot I'd rather go with the non GTX, but GTX is what my store had and I am hiking in really wet and muddy areas anyhow. These boots felt like running shoes. Fit perfectly although I had to go about 1 full size bigger. Wish they had a full rubber rand but I guess you cant have it all.

As with any boot fit is foremost. No matter how much someone talks up a boot if they don't fit your feet it doesn't matter. Everyone's feet are different, arches, pronation, etc, and different manufacturer/model boots can vary alot. I highly recommend fitting in store. My own personally feeling is these boots are very neutral as far as adjusting for pronation and arch height etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sooo comfy but they gave out 1st season, March 27, 2011
This review is from: Vasque Men's Breeze GTX Hiking Boot (Apparel)
I backpack in the Frank Church Wilderness/Idaho Rockies, carrying between 45 and 50 pounds, and am hard on boots so have tried several. These fit so well I was sure I'd found the best choice but was frustrated later.

Good points: fit perfect to size, immediately comfortable, soles grippy on rocky terrain and stable on the trail with a pack, did not rub my heals, or jam toes going downhill, comfy at the break and the cuff. I have a finicky ankle bone nerve and these did not irritate it at all. (LaSportiva boots gave that to me) Better feel than Merrells were and Asolo; as comfortable as my favorite Lowas. The sole wore a little on the very edges, but all my boots do, sidehill just does that.

Bad points: goretex failed in the first season, in one boot when I got caught in snow for a few days (on top of the foot near the lowest lacing) then in the other boot during a section in rough side-hill (on the sides). So I figured I'd use them for work at the cabin, but the seams on the sides of the ball of my feet began to let small grit into the layers of the boot and create thick wear spots on my foot. I shook and beat and pounded to make them wearable each time but eventually gave up. That was the worst and hardest to ignore, it made my feet hurt within a couple hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, versatile, waterproof boot, January 11, 2012
This review is from: Vasque Men's Breeze GTX Hiking Boot (Apparel)
I have had a pair of these boots for about 18 months and wear them morning to night about 5 days a week. I use them hiking, including in wet areas, on rocks and in salt water. I also use them in the summer as a motorcyle boot and in winter in New England as my snow boot. The boot has worn well with all that use, was comfortable right out of the box and never leaked even if in three or four inches of water. There is a strong shank in the sole so you get lots of support when walking on uneven ground like rocks, which you don't feel pushing through the sole (an issue I have had with cheaper boots). The Vibram is also clingy to stones or wet surfaces so you get a good grip. I have replaced them with the same model only because the soles started to wear down, which I don't consider unreasonable considering the wear and tear on them. I wear an 8 1/2 and the fit was accurate. Great ankle support as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Caution: Slippery When Wet, July 22, 2012
I initially thought I found the ideal boot for backpacking through the roots, rocks, mud, and muck-holes of the Maine (and NH, VT) mountains and trails, but unfortunately its durability and wet weather traction performance did not live up to the test. The poor durability may be due to my particular usage, but the wet weather traction was just flat out poor in my experience and is the main reason I (originally) rated this item only 2 stars. If I was rating this boot as an "occasional day hiking boot for dry weather only" I would consider rating it 5 stars.

For the last 12-13 years I've loyally worn (and happily worn-through) many Vasque Clarion GTX boots, so my primary perspective and point of comparison is to that particular boot. They have consistently served me well, but constantly dealing with bad heel blisters during the break-in periods combined with the desire to lighten the weight of my footwear made me decide to try a pair of the Vasque Breeze GTX boots.

I got them a couple of months ago, and here are my observations after wearing them very briefly around town and then for approximately 100 miles of Appalachian Trail hiking in Maine during the last month:

THE GOOD:
1. Fit is true to size (but one half of a size larger than all of my Vasque Clarion GTX boots). I wear a size 9 for the Clarion boot, but a size 9.5 for all other shoes and for the Breeze boot.

2. No (or negligible) break in period. I wore these boots only very lightly around town (streets, sidewalks, office carpeting) before taking them on the trail. While carrying a ~40 pound pack I got absolutely no blisters or hot spots on my heels with the Breeze boots, whereas with the Clarion boots my heals were always a complete mess for the first few days. I did initially get some minor hot spots between my first and second toes (perhaps a tighter toe box than the Clarion?), but nothing that required attention.

3. The boot is just simply comfortable. As noted in other customer reviews, these boots fit like a glove and it feels like the material molds to your foot almost immediately. The reason I wore these boots around town at first was because they were simply more comfortable than any of my shoes.

4. Waterproof and breathable. The inside of my boots (and my socks) stayed remarkably dry when stomping through muck-holes and crossing streams on submerged rocks (with the water level below the tops of my boots and low gaiters, of course). Note that the exterior of the boot does take a long time to dry, even in direct sunlight. However, I didn't really notice any additional weight because of this.

5. Superior DRY Traction. When descending from mountains, I found myself actually walking down granite rock faces that I would normally slide down on my rear due to the steep grade. I also got great traction on dry bog logs, dry roots with bark (but not smooth roots), dry dirt, and wet mud. Smaller rocks and boulders with particularly smooth surfaces were not great for traction, even when dry.

THE BAD:
1. Inferior WET Traction. In my opinion, the traction in wet conditions is dangerous. It feels next to impossible to grip any wet, flat surface. This makes crossing wet bog logs, stream crossings, and descending steep grades from above tree-line hair raising events. I found myself having to carefully and painstakingly plod and pick my steps through wet sections of trail, and found myself over-relying on my hiking poles for slippage prevention and balance support in sections of trail that I would normally truck right through without a second thought. This was never the case with my Clarions, or with any other shoe or boot that I have or currently use for shorter day hikes. In fact, the wet traction was so treacherous that several days in Maine's wet 100-mile Wilderness I actually considered hiking in my Crocs simply for the improved traction.

2. Durability. To be fair and open minded, Vasque categorizes the Breeze boot as a "Hiking" boot and not a "Backpacking" boot, and I do flail around tough trail with 40 pounds on my back. That said, these boots have not lived up to my expectations. After the very first day-hike (10 pound pack) up a mountain in them, the outsole had already started to peel away from the boot in places (particularly the toes). After about 65-70 miles of trail, the stitching was already started to come apart in places. Also, small chunks of the outsole on the bottoms of the boot have started to rip away where there is abrasion with rough rocks. I never had these problems with any of my Clarion boots, but again, they are categorized as a more rugged boot.

In conclusion, there was a quite a lot to like about this boot and I will continue to use it until it completely falls apart as my "completely dry trail conditions only" day hiking boot.

UPDATE 8/1:
Despite my concerns about inferior traction in wet conditions and durability when carrying a heavy load, I must admit that I just now ordered another pair of these boots as a backup for when my original pair fails. I am unable to quickly find any other waterproof boots in this general price range that match the pure, lightweight, blister-free comfort and breathability of the Breeze GTX - particularly right out of the box. For the price and "no break in period" convenience I believe that they're worth having around as my "fair weather day hikers or overnighters" and I'll keep a sturdier boot with better wet traction on hand for extended backpacking trips where weather conditions are less certain. Consequently, I think it's only fair to bump my overall rating up to 3 stars (from a 2 originally).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lightweight Boots..., October 9, 2010
This review is from: Vasque Men's Breeze GTX Hiking Boot (Apparel)
The Vasque Breeze GTX Hiking Boot is a great choice for three season walking and hiking under light to moderate loads. The boot's combination of leather and waterproof mesh is lightweight, waterproof, and provides decent support. The moderate stiff bottoms provide good foot protection, and traction on most surfaces. The lacing system allows a fair amount of adjustment for the individual foot. This reviewer comfortably wears orthotics inside his pair, and has worn the boots over a variety of terrain in Alaska and in the Grampian Mountains of Scotland.

The Breeze GTX Hiking Boot is highly recommended to fans of quality Vasque footwear.

Vasque Men's Breeze GTX Hiking Boot