4.0 out of 5 stars Review - Vatican II: The Essential Texts
Too often we get our information about people and groups through the grapevine. We hear from someone’s cousin, twice removed. We never go to the source for the information we want. That is why when I study different people, groups, faiths, etc. that I read writing’s from those involved in them.

That is what is so important about the book Vatican II...
Published 1 month ago by David Shaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient to have; unfortunate intro by Carroll
The introduction by Pope Benedict is reasoned and encouraging, as would be expected. That by Carroll is effusive, almost ecstatic, in its support for change. He reaches a climax in declaring that no return to former practice or believe is to be permitted. Disappointing.

Published 23 months ago by William Meyer

4.0 out of 5 stars Review - Vatican II: The Essential Texts, June 29, 2014
This review is from: Vatican II: The Essential Texts (Paperback)

That is what is so important about the book Vatican II - The Essential Text. Vatican II is an important Catholic Church council that shaped much of what the church is about today. It includes most of the documents that were finalized in Vatican II. From the current liturgy, to the churches view of what constitutes God’s Word, onto how the church is to relate to the world and other faiths.
What is even of more help is the introductions to each section made by Edward P. Hahnenberg. He gives us background on the reason the topic was up for consideration, the process it took to have it finalized, and he even includes those in the church who disagreed with it.

This is a book that I will use often in my studies. It is well written, easy to understand, and important to our understanding of the Roman Catholic Church as it is today.

Disclaimer- I received this book for free from Christian Focus through CrossFocused Reviews for this review. All that was required of me is that I review it, positively or negatively, on my site.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Second Vatican Council texts helpful, July 19, 2013
This review is from: Vatican II: The Essential Texts (Paperback)
Since getting a copy of Vatican II texts involves looking backwards, my desired outcome might be a little different than for a current book. The immediate impact for me was that this source has both an inviting colored cover, but also large print copy Placement of the documents material is spread out on the page so that the reader doesn't need to read into the binding to glimpse essentials. The two drawbacks for me were absence of an index and separation of subsections with bold subheading. On the plus side, the notes in the back were unexpected . I recommend this as a second resource for the sake of comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Face of the Church, June 12, 2013
This review is from: Vatican II: The Essential Texts (Paperback)
The texts of Vatican II reflect Catholic theology at it's highest stage in development. These texts contain many years of reflected wisdom applied to the problems of the world today, while at the same time further reflecting on the faith once and for all delivered to the saints. Vatican II is not a liberal abnormality of previous Catholic teaching, but is rather the next logical step of development. It did not change or contradict the doctrines of the faith, rather it further illuminated them. If you want to learn about what Vatican II taught, there can be nothing better than reading the texts themselves. In them, you find the wisdom and truth that makes the Catholic Church so great.

5.0 out of 5 stars my reviews, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Vatican II: The Essential Texts (Paperback)
I just started to read this book. I must admit that it is a bit of a heavy read, but I expected as much. It's interesting how much Church history is intertwined with World history. I would recommend this book for anyone wanting to persue an in depth study of the Second Vatican Councill

5.0 out of 5 stars Understand the changes in the Catholic Church over the past 50 years., August 14, 2014
A very hard read. But if you can work you way through the over verbalized paragraphs it provides a clearer insight into what was happening in the Catholic Church of the 40-70s in some cases it easy very easy to see how far local churches moved in liturgical worship and the increase mandate for the laity to take a more active role in how they practice their faith and more importantly the role of evangelization.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Church in Re-Mission, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Vatican II: The Essential Texts (Paperback)
I am somewhat embarassed to admit thathaving been a Catholic my entire life and having taught Catholicism for two years, having read numerous books on theology and biblical studies in that time, that I had neglected certainly the most important writings in Catholicism in the century and possibly in the last 500 years. I am always apprehensive in approaching Church documents, whether they be encyclicals, exhortations and the like, because of the assumed dry nature and techinical language I expect them to have. Fortunately, most of the time I am dead wrong, especially with the last few the Church has been graced with (especially Francis, B16, and St. JP2, but I could go all the way back to Paul 6 really).

The documents of Vatican II "follow" (from my perspective, though they actually precede) in that same spirit. In them I find a Church that is not floundering but alive and active and, like the Sacraments it bestows, also gives life to the reader who finds them with a clear, engaged and open mind to God's guidance.

This compilation does narrow the scope somewhat, but I think it is because the average lay reader has no need to read some of the more obscure documents that don't apply, but is more concerned with those that apply to everyone, especially Lumen Gentium (Light of the Nations) and Dei Verbum (Word of God) as the first deals with the life of the Church, Her "body," the people, and the second with God's written Word, the Bible.

As I mentioned before, my initial worry was that I would be put to sleep in reading these and only Bishops, who in my mind have to read them, are the only ones who had the mental capacity, theological vocabulary, and moral duty to trudge through them. Again, fortunately, the liveliness of these "old, European men in robes" reinvigorated my love for Christ and His Church and I anticipate a similar reaction. Certainly not for the faint of heart, the most beneficial reading of these is a slow one, but, like the very Bible from which it is based and draws from continually, it is a spiritual, theological and devotional powerhouse that will engage the Catholic mind for centuries.

Some memorable quotes from Vatican II:
"Upon all the laity, therefore, rests the noble duty of working to extend the divine plan of salvation to all men of each epoch and in every land." (Lumen Gentium)
“This sacred tradition, therefore, and Sacred Scripture of both the Old and New Testaments are like a mirror in which the pilgrim Church on earth looks at God, from whom she has received everything" (Dei Verbum)
“…And so the study of the sacred page is, as it were, the soul of sacred theology” (Dei Verbum)

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrate the Year of Faith, October 19, 2012
This review is from: Vatican II: The Essential Texts (Paperback)
What better way to celebrate the Year of Faith proclaimed by Benedict XVI than reading this book? The introductions to the texts are quite helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Vatican 2, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Vatican II: The Essential Texts (Paperback)
Very well organized including the 6 most study documents from V2. I especially like that the scripture notes are included in the text not as references to references as most other editions do.

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient to have; unfortunate intro by Carroll, September 4, 2012
William Meyer (Suwanee, GA United States) - See all my reviews

The value here is in the documents themselves, and in having them on the Kindle. I hope I will not find that they have been simply lifted, errors and all, from the Vatican website. I also hope I will not find the Kindle formatting as disappointing as it so often is. I have not had sufficient time to review them as yet, but will update this after i have.

1.0 out of 5 stars intellectually dishonest, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Vatican II: The Essential Texts (Paperback)
I was very disappointed by this book. I bought it since I saw that it had an introduction by Pope Benedict XVI. Then I saw that this "introduction" was in fact a 2005 Address to the Roman Curia. The second introduction is by James Carroll, who I quickly realized is a "liberal" or "progressive" Catholic. The other contributors (Edward Hahnenberg, who supplied the prefatory material, and Norman Tanner, who edited the documents) are also "liberal." "Liberals" tend to interpret the Vatican II documents according to their "spirit," which generally means anything they want them to mean (women priests are OK, gay marriage is OK, contraception is OK, etc.). Intentionally or not, I find it dishonest in the extreme that they would lure unsuspecting readers into their book by quoting at the outset Benedict XVI, who is by no stretch of the imagination a liberal.
Readers wanting a truly fair and balanced book on Vatican II which affirms the Church's tradition and magisterium (as Vatican II really does) should read Alan Schreck's Vatican II: The Crisis and the Promise (Servant Books, 2005).

Vatican II: The Essential Texts
Vatican II: The Essential Texts by Norman Tanner (Paperback - September 4, 2012)
$16.00 $13.16