4.0 out of 5 stars how about a sol'n manual
this book is colorful and all, but it will be helpful if there is a sol'n manual 'cuz the sample problems are very easy and the hw are outrageously hard
Published on October 29, 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Need a solutions manual
Published on September 9, 2004 by Brian M. Henderson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars how about a sol'n manual, October 29, 2000
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, September 7, 2011
[Update] Some things have changed:

This text is very good: It's still one of the best physics/math/engineering related text I've seen so far.
This is the addition and subtraction of civil engineering, and probably so for most other engineering majors.

A lot of the classes in the future assume you have a good understanding of this. In fact, most problems require you to do a full set of vector statics problems before you can even get started. (and that's only like 10% of the problem). I am now a year or so from when I took vector statics, and the material is still being used in my engineering classes.

Many of the practice problems will take 1-2 hours to do the first time through. However, If you spend a good 6-12 hours on each chapter, you'll notice that you have a very good understanding of the subject at the end and the problems become much easier. (Though, because of the sure mass of calculations you have to slug through; it'll still take around 15-30 mins each problem)

The practice problems are all really pretty easy, there is just a little trick that varies for each problem that you need to figure out and learn. [When you are doing them, they will make you face-table in frustration.]

I recommend:
If you can't figure out a problem, make sure you stick to it for at least 1-2 hours. Than you can give up and use the solution manual.

----

Cramster.com has about 80% of the problems in the book solved step by step. [Edit] Cramster seems to have been absorbed? by chegg.com. I haven't figured out how to use it yet, since none of my upper div books are listed on cramster or chegg. But I'm assuming that it's just as good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Need a solutions manual, September 9, 2004
I had a hard time following the concepts presented in this book. I agree with the previous reviewer that the example problems were particularly easy, followed by only medium-hard to hard problems in the excercise section. If the text had a solutions manual (not hard to to since there are 100's of problems in each section) it would be easier to see where I'm making my mistakes.

Other than that, the pictures did help with my understanding of the material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good text for college level Statics, April 30, 2005
D. Kinslow (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I used this book for my college Statics class, and it has been one of my favorite texts so far. The derivations of all the equations are very clear. Many real world examples/applications are also included, which helps spice up an otherwise dry subject matter. Also, the example problems correspond well to the homework problems, allowing you to work backwards if you are stuck. I've seen lots of complaints about the lack of a solutions manual, but personally, I felt it was uneccesary.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor problem solving examples led to disgust with this text, January 22, 2002
By A Customer
This text is good at using wordage to explain how to understand concepts and problem solving techniques. However, like most people, i find that I need to see these things worked out to understand these concepts. The material itself is satisfactory in this book, however there are only about 2 worked out examples per concept in this text, and some of these concepts can be difficult to grasp. Lastly, intermediate problem solving is often not made clear in this text. If you are the type of person that likes to read a lot to understand statics, then this book may be for you, but if you are a person that needs clear demonstration of the concepts and techniques visited in this text, this book is definitely not for you. By the way, these comments also apply to the Dynamics book that is also written by Beer & Johnston.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book as an intro to statics, February 9, 2001
I had to take a class on Statics to fulfill my requirements for graduation as a Computer Science major, which included one engineering class not related to computers. I chose what looked the most interesting to me, and I was lucky to take the class with this book. Detailed sample problems, good idea flow, and answers in the back all made this a great book for a student. There wasn't a single concept I didn't understand, and I was able to solve most of the problems correctly just with the aid of the text, the rest of which I was able to solve with the help of groupwork. I recommend this to anyone who is taking a Statics class, even if this isn't the required textbook, if you can afford the price tag...

5.0 out of 5 stars you get what you pay for, May 1, 2013
This review is from: Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics (Hardcover)
I think I paid $7 total for this book, so far most of the problems from the 10th ed are in this book (I think that out of 4 chapters we have already covered 5 problems that I needed weren't on this book) There are some pencil markings and whatnot but I expected that. I am happy I have this book and that I was able to get it for so cheap!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Price, Great Quality, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics (Hardcover)
First time buying from Textbook_TBS. I was a little skeptical about the pricing of this book from this seller. I don't know how they manage to sell this book for so cheap ($100 off my school's bookstore and amazon) but it is quite legit. The product came in today, 5 days after purchase, and is in excellent quality. Tons of packaging peanuts in the box to ensure no dents. The book itself seemed to be wrapped in saran wrap but it wasn't a problem since there were no scratches on the cover and sides.

This has to be my best online purchase so far.. Saved $100 bucks, book is completely new, delivered quick. Highly likely to buy from them again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Statics is silly, take calc III instead., June 3, 2005
I do not recommend this book. This textbook is difficult to follow, it is difficult to grasp new concepts from the book. This book is not detailed enough, it often does not show all the steps that are taken in an example problem; this makes it difficult to understand many of the problems, especially the more difficult ones. I would also suggest that if it is possible, take calculus III before you take statics.Calculus III gives a much better and more thorough explaintion of the basis of vector mechanics. If you want a book that lays a better mathmatical base for vectors and vector mechanics, try reading "Calculus, 5th ed." by James Stewart. This book is an excellent indroduction to statics and it explains in much clearer language the derivations for of many of the equations presented in vector mechanics.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst textbook I own, June 15, 2009
This review is from: Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics (Hardcover)
This book has plenty of problems for you to solve, yet they outnumber the sample problems by at least six to one. The layout is horrendous as there are pages of problems to solve after each section so if you want to go back to review a point from the previous section, you can flip through pages of problems. Wikipedia has been more useful than the book at explaining concepts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics
Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics by Ferdinand Pierre Beer (Hardcover - January 21, 2009)
Used & New from: $25.25