5.0 out of 5 stars In Love
Published 15 months ago by Fran

2.0 out of 5 stars Too esoteric
I can't make recipes that involve going to three or more different grocery stores or waiting until specialty ingredients from Italy get shipped to me. I live in a big city with access to many multicultural markets, I've been vegetarian most of my life, I consider myself an accomplished cook, and even I've never heard of many of these ingredients.
The Landau's...
Published 11 months ago by McKillip Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars In Love, September 15, 2013
Fran (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking (Hardcover)
As a long time vegetarian who often eats vegan meals - the restaurant and the cookbook are from heaven. Landau says he would even cook vegetables he doesn't like such as brussel sprouts. I made them as an appetizer and one picky dinner guest couldn't stop eating them! Even though some of the ingredients are on the scarce side, it's a lovely book and inspirational. Well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE BOOK for any Kitchen, November 9, 2013
LouiseG (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
I drove two hours have dinner at Vedge in Philly, going in, I had HIGH expectations after reading all the reviews and raves. I feel in love with the food!!! and the service was on point. BUT I got a big problem ... my wallet is not big enough to eat at the restaurant more often. So I got the The Vedge cookbook hoping it's not too complicated. I read the book in one night. I love how the author is aware that we're not in some fancy restaurant kitchen. He gives us stories when he's in his own home kitchen and alternatives when we're unable to find ingredients. He explain the key ingredients, what to look for in quality and even names the brand name that he uses.

I made the Roasted Carrots With Black Lentils and Green Harissa, was so easy and yummy. I HATE Brussels sprouts, no way was going to make the recipe for them but i tried it at the restaurant first. So now I can say I like the sprouts, and I made them for the first time. I made a big batch of all the broth stocks, and divided into smaller portions& froze them for later use.

This book is beautiful and perfect for holiday gifts. I'm going give this book to few vegan chefs in the midwest in hopes they get inspired for their restaurant. Thank You Rich Landau and Kate Jacoby for sharing your amazing recipes. If it was me, I would probably been selfish & kept it a secret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delish!, October 13, 2013
Everything we have cooked thus far are do overs. This cook book is awesome. You will never miss meat again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best veggie restaurant, September 20, 2013
Ina-Lee Block (Swampscott, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This book captures the magic that is produced in this Philadelphia restaurant. Highly recommended for foodies and vegetarians who are the same people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Easy Cooking, April 8, 2014
Had one of the best meals of my life at the Vedge Restaurant in Philadelphia, so bought the cookbook. Made three recipes so far and they all taste just like what we had at the restaurant. I had no idea the recipes would be so simple! Made the roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Creamy Worcestershire Sauce, and I will make them for company. I actually smashed the leftover potatoes and used the leftover sauce on them and they were amazing the 2nd time around too. My husband kept talking about the Brussels sprouts at the restaurant so then I made the Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Whole-Grain Mustard Sauce. Yes, it took ten minutes to clean and cut up the sprouts, but the rest of it was so fast and possibly the best sprouts I've had. I will say it again made too much sauce, so we used the leftover sauce on sandwiches. The third recipe I made is the Salt-Roasted Golden Beets with dill, avocado, capers and red onion and I did cut the salt down on that one. In the restaurant, they stack this beet dish and serve it with smoked tofu. I just served it loose, as they show in the book, and made my own maple smoked tofu to go with it. The crazy thing is these dishes are so simple to make but so complex in flavor. The sprouts are reminiscent of a warm Caesar salad, smoky and rich. The beet salad tastes almost like a tuna salad or like it somehow had a cool, crisp crabmeat in it, it kind of blew my mind. I'm a vegan blogger, I blogged two of the recipes, and this is now my absolute favorite vegan cookbook. The other nice thing is the size of the book and the lack of a pesky dustjacket, it's perfect to set on the counter and has a soft low-gloss finish on the cover that I was able to wipe clean. Love it love it love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cookbook, January 24, 2014
This is definitely our best vegetarian cookbook. The recipes are relatively easy and require few ingredients, as compared to many other vegetarian cookbooks. I definitely recommend this cookbook for some really creative ways to cook vegetable and experiment with new flavors. Plus, the cocktail recipes are excellent! I made the Elder Sage at our new years eve party, and our guests said it was the best cocktail they've ever had!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too esoteric, January 19, 2014
The Landau's previous two cookbooks were much easier to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vegan cookbook, April 30, 2014
I have not had a single recipe I didn't like. I can only recommend it. My daughter bought the book when she tasted his dishes at a dinner at my house. Go for it

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, October 4, 2013
I have made the shaved brussel sprouts and the whole roasted carrots with lentils. They both were delicious and easy, however I found that the seasonings do have to be adjusted. Look forward to trying many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only thing that could make this book better would be for Rich & Kate to come to ..., October 9, 2014
The only thing that could make this book better would be for Rich & Kate to come to my house and make the recipes for me. Wonderful photos and lots of information about preparing to prepare. There are lots of books with excellent vegetarian recipes, but this book has extra tips and suggestions that would be worth reading even if there were no actual recipes included. The recipes are wonderful and make gourmet cooking possible in the home kitchen. (I still wish Rich and Kate were doing the cooking though.)

Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking
Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking by Rich Landau (Hardcover - September 3, 2013)
$24.95 $18.25