Top critical review
82 people found this helpful
Mixed bag for this Isa fan
on January 4, 2010
First off, let me say that Isa (and Terry) are my favorite cookbook authors. I have every other cookbook they've written and would rate those all 5 stars. However, I've had some failures and disappointments with recipes in this book that didn't happen with Isa's other books. Her other recipes in my experience are top notch and foolproof.
- The Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes are worth the price of this cookbook alone. It is one of the best vegan recipes I've tried anywhere.
- The tempeh bacon is delicious, as is the one from VWAV.
- The Chelsea waffles are great.
- The gingerbread waffles are really good.
- The black salt to flavor things with an eggy flavor is a new secret weapon. I love it.
- The peanut butter waffles are disgusting. I know it sounds counter-intuitive. I expected them to be amazing, but they are dense and heavy and not good.
- I have to disagree with the rave reviews on the omelet recipes. I thought it was just an OK recipe. I thought if I had served it to an omnivore it would have been ammunition to say vegans are weird and depriving themselves instead of making them see how good we have it. The texture and taste were both off. It's more like a weird pancake than an omelet.
- I followed the Raised Waffles recipe to the letter and they were a disaster. They tasted awful and fell completely apart. What a disappointment after waiting on them. (You have to prep the night before)
I still have a lot of recipes to try, but unfortunately I am not going after this cookbook with the same fervor and fearlessness that I have with Isa's other cookbooks because of my high try-to-fail ratio so far. It's a great concept, and I love brunch. In fact, I love, love, love the banana nut waffles recipe from Veganomicon and the muffin recipes from VWAV and was so looking forward to this. But it seems to me like this book was rushed to press without enough testing, or maybe I am just unlucky enough to pick a bunch of bad ones in a row.
If you don't already have Veganomicon - get that instead. Veganomicon is my absolute favorite cookbook, and it has some brunch recipes in there as well, plus everything else for any other meal. Use your dollars to buy Isa & Terry's greatest accomplishment and you won't be disappointed.