Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vegan Brunch: Homestyle Recipes Worth Waking Up For--From Asparagus Omelets to Pumpkin Pancakes
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 13, 2009
I'm so excited Vegan Brunch is out! It's bright and colorful with tons of mouth-watering pictures and innovative, grocery store friendly recipes that will make you want to get up early on Sunday and make a huge breakfast for the whole neighborhood.

Here's what I've tried so far and LOVED:

Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes - these are crazy good and will turn anyone into a tempeh lover
Omelets - You'll have to seek out black salt for these, but trust me, it is worth it!
Scrambled Tortillas - a perfectly spicy Mexican breakfast with potatoes and corn tortillas
Classic Broccoli Quiche - the secret ingredient is cashews, which make it uber creamy and delicious
Gingerbread Waffles - easy and perfect for a Sunday morning
Lemon Pepper Tofu - quick and easy, it's my go-to tofu recipe
Blueberry Ginger Spelt Muffins - a sweet hearty muffin you'll want to take to work with you everyday
Tomato Rosemary Scones - taste really fancy, but only take a few minutes to throw together.

I promise you will love these, too!
22 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2010
First off, let me say that Isa (and Terry) are my favorite cookbook authors. I have every other cookbook they've written and would rate those all 5 stars. However, I've had some failures and disappointments with recipes in this book that didn't happen with Isa's other books. Her other recipes in my experience are top notch and foolproof.

Pros:
- The Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes are worth the price of this cookbook alone. It is one of the best vegan recipes I've tried anywhere.
- The tempeh bacon is delicious, as is the one from VWAV.
- The Chelsea waffles are great.
- The gingerbread waffles are really good.
- The black salt to flavor things with an eggy flavor is a new secret weapon. I love it.

Cons:
- The peanut butter waffles are disgusting. I know it sounds counter-intuitive. I expected them to be amazing, but they are dense and heavy and not good.
- I have to disagree with the rave reviews on the omelet recipes. I thought it was just an OK recipe. I thought if I had served it to an omnivore it would have been ammunition to say vegans are weird and depriving themselves instead of making them see how good we have it. The texture and taste were both off. It's more like a weird pancake than an omelet.
- I followed the Raised Waffles recipe to the letter and they were a disaster. They tasted awful and fell completely apart. What a disappointment after waiting on them. (You have to prep the night before)

I still have a lot of recipes to try, but unfortunately I am not going after this cookbook with the same fervor and fearlessness that I have with Isa's other cookbooks because of my high try-to-fail ratio so far. It's a great concept, and I love brunch. In fact, I love, love, love the banana nut waffles recipe from Veganomicon and the muffin recipes from VWAV and was so looking forward to this. But it seems to me like this book was rushed to press without enough testing, or maybe I am just unlucky enough to pick a bunch of bad ones in a row.

If you don't already have Veganomicon - get that instead. Veganomicon is my absolute favorite cookbook, and it has some brunch recipes in there as well, plus everything else for any other meal. Use your dollars to buy Isa & Terry's greatest accomplishment and you won't be disappointed.
44 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2009
Of course I didn't even take time to think about whether or not I wanted this book - I have all Moskowitz/Romero books so far, and I will continue to buy whatever they publish. Luckily for me, they never disappoint, and this new brunch book by Isa is no exception!! I have owned this book 4 days and have already made 4 recipes and I don't plan on slowing down!

Omelet - I made the omelet recipe and added sauteed mushrooms and a slice of tofutti cheese - it was so accurate, that the first one kind of creeped me out at first. I have been using leftover omelet pieces in bagels. Yum!

Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes and Remoulade - these taste amazing, and I'm about to make some more for dinner. AMAZING.

Pancakes - I know it's the same recipe as the one in VwaV, but I swear they taste even better.

Cherry Sage Sausages - The best seitan I've ever had.

Am eager to make my own english muffins, cinnamon rolls, and samosa pancakes!!
on May 18, 2009
The co-author of the vegan bible, Veganomicon, comes out on her own and creates another winner.

Like Isa's other books, Vegan Brunch is written in a wry, user-friendly fashion. These are not recipes for culinary whizzes. Novice cooks (hey, that's me!) can easily decipher the techniques and ingredients. But the food tastes like you know what you're doing. So much flavour and texture, not to mention how lovely the food turns out.

I've made several things so far-the books' only been out a week. The Coleslaw Potato Salad with Cumin Seeds is absolutely incredible and will be on many a picnic table in my future! Who would think to put cumin seeds in an otherwise traditional potato salad? It lends such a distinct, smoky depth of flavour. Truly phenomenal.

The Polentas Rancheros is also fantastic. A black bean, tomato sauce, serrano pepper blend on top of polenta. Add toppings as you like and be very, very satisifed.

I've also tried the Smoky Shiitakes, Swiss Chard Frittata and Cashew Sour Cream. I will make all again. And I cannot wait to try out other recipes. The Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes and Pesto Tofu Scramble are in my very near future. Spinach potato squares and pumpkin pancakes? Oh my, I can't wait.

Vegan Brunch is a must for any vegan's cookbook collection, also an excellent, non-threatening primer for anyone curious about the lifestyle and cuisine. Easy-to-follow recipes and delicious food. An A+ cookbook for anytime of day!
on May 15, 2009
Vegan Brunch exceeds my expectations, which were pretty high because Isa's other cookbooks are my favorites. The book itself is a pleasure to read and look at. The gorgeous pictures! Of every recipe! (Or almost every recipe?) So many yummy pictures! Besides well-crafted and easy-to-follow recipes, Isa writes about food and cooking in such an engaging way. In fact my 10-year-old daughter read through the book for over an hour, laughing and sharing excerpts aloud with me.

OK, to the most important thing: the food! Yesterday I made the Courico Tacos with Roasted Pineapple Salsa and they were amazing. My meat-eating friend and myself (vegan) both loved them. A quintessential Isa dish, with fresh and creative flavor combinations. I also made the Roasted Potatoes, a staple for any brunch, which turned out perfectly crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. So thank you, Isa, for writing this simple recipe, because kitchen morons like myself were setting the heat too low and wondering what was up with my potatoes.

There are so many tempting recipes, I can't wait to try more. Tomorrow it's Swiss Chard Frittata, and maybe later in the weekend I'll tackle one of the many scrumptious sounding muffins. I highly recommend this book, for vegans and non-vegans alike.
If you enjoyed previous cookbooks from Isa Chandra Moskowitz likeVegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: 100 Dairy-Free Recipes for Everyone's Favorite Treats,Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook, and Vegan with a Vengeance : Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock you are sure to enjoy this cookbook as well.

The strength in Vegan Brunch is that Moskowitz includes a wide range of recipes from Gluten-Free Buckwheat Pancakes to Coffee Chip Muffins to Gingerbread Waffles to Tofu Bennes. She especially includes a robust selection of baked goods like English Muffins, Bagels, and Scones. There are even quite a few recipes that I wouldn't traditionally categorize as brunch-y like Creamy Avocado Potato Salad, Sauteed Collards and Sausages, and Courico Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Salsa. Traditional or not, Moskowitz pulls together a great collection of craveable recipes written such that they are appropriate even for beginners.

The only thing I don't love about this book is that at times the directions are a bit verbose. There were times, particularly with the Pierogi recipe, where it seems like the directions could have been 1/2 as long as they were to make things simpler. However, I can also see why others might like these more verbose directions as they are approachable and give good tips.

Overall, this is a great book and another example of why Moskowitz's books are broadly appealing enough to get an omnivore like me excited.
on May 18, 2009
I just got it from Amazon pre-order (earlier than expected!) I read it cover to cover this weekend and I can't wait to make so many things. I made the Chesapeake Tempeh cakes and they are AMAZING. My husband had no idea they were vegan.

Although the recipes are obviously geared towards weekend brunch when you get up at the crack of noon (ha!), most are fast and easy and they would make great meals any time of day or day of the week.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon May 19, 2009
Isa Moskowitz has done it again, wtih another creative contribution to vegan cuisine. The recipes are easy to follow, and accompanied by lovely photographs. The bagel recipe will, truly, change your life and leave you wondering why you ever purchased bagels at the grocery. The Chelsea waffles are the most delicious waffles, vegan or otherwise, I have ever eaten. The tempeh bacon recipe is both easier and better than others I have tried - I could eat it every day. You will be very glad you bought this book!
on June 3, 2009
Vegan Brunch has changed the face of breakfast, lunch, brunch, and brinner for vegans everywhere. How many times have you been at a brunch picking over hashbrowns and fruit because those were the only vegan options? Well, fear no more! The most dreaded meal of the day has transformed into the most exciting.

With her latest book, Isa Chandra Moskowitz, upped her game completely. The book design is crisp and fresh with plenty of pictures throughout. Let's face it: we all eat with our eyes first. If just looking at this book doesn't have you salivating, then it's entirely possibly you are a cyborg incapable of human emotion. In fact, you might want to check yourself for a "shutdown" button.

All of the recipes are incredibly easy to read and many are as complicated as watching ingredients saute. There is a great balance between sweet and savory dishes with a range from normal brunch fare to international updates of classic dishes (such as the Samosa Mashed Potato Pancakes).

Recipes I highly recommend:

Tofu Omelet-It has an incredibly delicate texture with a well rounded flavor. The stuffing possibilities are endless; however, I highly recommend the roasted tomatoes, ricotta and basil variation.

Puttanesca Scramble-Eat this and pretend to be sitting in an Italian cafe. Tasty garlic, spicy crushed red pepper, fresh herbs and piquant olives and capers blend together for an absolute explosion of flavor. All with your morning coffee.

Mushroom, Leek and White Bean Pie-Ever wonder what Thanksgiving tastes like? Make this pie and get your answer. This is completely soy free (depending on your pie crust) and has an amazing depth of flavor from the mushrooms, thyme and leeks.

East Coast Coffee Cake-This will change your life. The cake is super moist with an incredible crunch from the cinnamon and nutmeg topping. There are several variations, and I highly recommend the apricot cardamom version!

This book has and will continue to transform vegan cooking into a culinary force to be reckoned with. So order this thing already and get inspired! In fact, go ahead and make yourself a Bloody Moskowitz while you wait for those potatoes to roast.

Finally vegans have a food related reason to get up in the morning!
on September 13, 2009
Vegan Brunch is such a winner, which is funny, because I've never been a fan of brunch. I own all of Isa's other cookbooks, and I love all of them, but I wasn't interested in this one. I decided to get it, because I needed another item to get free shipping.

The first thing we made were waffles, which had the most amazing texture. I even used the batter to make pancakes, and they turned out to be the fluffiest pancakes I have ever had. I then had to use our wedding money to invest in a great waffle iron, because now I have a reason.

The buckwheat pancakes were the best pancakes either of us have ever had (my husband makes pancakes all the time, so we have a lot of samples to compare them to).

THE SCONES... sooo good. Amazing really. My husband made them using apples, and they were out of this world. They didn't even have that weird beany taste that all gluten free baked items seem to have.

We got the book toward the end of last month and have used it 5 times. That's pretty good for us! Anyway, Isa's awesome.