5.0 out of 5 stars Coooookie!!!
It was worth waiting for, you guys! The authors of Veganomicon and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World work their magic on cookies this time around.

First off: it's adorable. The pictures, the colours, the font. Yeah, I like the font! It is such a charming cookbook, I really enjoy flipping through it.

Also, these seasoned pros give very handy tips...
Published on October 29, 2009 by Alin

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad
Published on June 11, 2011 by Miki P.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coooookie!!!, October 29, 2009
Alin (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: 100 Dairy-Free Recipes for Everyone's Favorite Treats (Paperback)

Also, these seasoned pros give very handy tips for baking novices such as myself. Equipment, ingredients, substitutions, troubleshooting, they've covered all the bases before laying out the recipes.

And the recipes themselves! Wow. I've made a few that were previewed this spring, the Magical Coconut Bars and Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillows, so I knew this was the real deal. But.....this just has it all. All-time favorites, regional classics and innovative variations, everything you could possibly want in a cookie. Snickerdoodles, Cheesecake Brownies, Sweet Potato Blondies, I mean really. It's insane.

I picked up the book last night (my bookstore got it early!) and made two recipes from the "wholesome" section: Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies and Applesauce Softies. Utilizing natural sweeteners and whole wheat flour, they were hearty, earthy and healthy. And delicious!

I leave you with this: Vegan Lemon Bars. There, that's all you need to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars COOKIES OM NOM NOM, October 30, 2009
The recipes in this book are simply amazing. So many classics and new flavors too. All very tasty and very pretty. The recipes range from pretty easy to a little more advanced.

Gorgeous photos, and the two authors' writing is so clever and makes you feel like you're baking with a friend in the kitchen.

My personal favorites include the tahini lime cookies, the linzer thumbprints, the cranberry white chocolate chip biscotti, the cheesecake-topped brownies, starry chocolate shortbread, the almond pignoli cookies, and the blueberry spice crumb bars. Every recipe I made has been gobbled up by family, friends, and coworkers alike.

Get this book for you, or the cookie lover in your life!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, with few flaws., May 12, 2010
Let me start off by saying that I am not vegan. I am vegetarian, but I am a baker and I like to dabble in vegan baking, as it gives me new challenges and opportunities to try different things. With that said, I am really enjoying this book. Most of the recipes that I have tried have yielded great results, with the end products being very similar or exactly like their non-vegan counterparts. So far I have tried the following recipes from the book:

Chocolate Chip Cookies: Being as Chocolate Chip Cookies are one of my favorites, this was the first recipe that I tried from this book. I wasn't entirely pleased with this recipe. I was sure to follow the directs exactly, but each time I got dough that was so greasy that it wouldn't hold the chocolate chips. What is worse is that once I managed to get the cookies on the tray and baked, there was still a trail of greasiness left behind by the cookies (I know for a fact I did not screw up the measurements, and I also tried the recipe twice adding a little less oil than called for, still no luck).

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies: Good, but I felt like something was missing from them. I think the recipe just needs a little tweaking and then it will be great.

Deluxe Cocoa Brownies: Very good. I made these because I was craving brownies. From what I read in another review, these may be perceived as dry brownies (I guess some may think they look dry in the picture in the book), but there are definitely not. They are moist and so good. I got my dad to try these and he had no idea that they were vegan. My only problem with this recipe is that perhaps they are a bit too cakey for brownies. I know a lot of people who enjoy fudgey brownies more than cakey brownies. If you are looking for a fudgey brownie, this may not be the right recipe for you.

Graham Crackers: Really good, and very similar to store bought graham crackers. I made these and brought them in for my friends in school, and they had no idea that they were vegan. My one friend thought that I was lying when I said that I made them...haha. For those interested in making them: they are best with the cinnamon sugar on top.

Chocolate Cut-Out Cookies: I liked these, but not enough to keep making them over and over. I didn't think they were anything special.

Gingerbread Cut-Out Cookies: Good, but I feel like they could be a little spicier. Also, I had some problems with the dough being really sticky. I had to add some flour to get it to not stick to everything, so that probably affected the flavor a bit.

All in all, it is a pretty good book. I love the pictures, and the fonts are a fun addition. I also enjoy that it has a section about ingredients and substitutions since some of the ingredients may not be available to people. I would definitely recommend this to vegans and non-vegans alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can they keep doing this perfectly???, November 4, 2009
I have not made a receipe from Isa or Terry that hasn't been delicious, and the recipes in this book will be no exception! Sweet Wine Biscuits with Sesame? Peanut Butter Blondies? Peanut Apple Pretzel Drops? The recipes feature ingredients that are easy to find (for the most part) and relatively easy to put together. The results really are always fantastic. The Chocolate Chip Cookies are amazing, as are the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles. These cookies are suitable for everyone-vegan and nonvegan! The pictures are mouthwatering and the layout is simple and easy to follow. I highly recommend this book for anyone who loves cookies-vegans and nonvegans alike! You will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad, June 11, 2011
For the average Vegan household, the PKK is a lifesaver. Like their other cookbooks, this one uses easy-to-find ingredients, great photos, and simple instructions. However, most of the cookies use WAY too much oil (the chocolate chip actually had pools of oil while baking!) We are a very health-conscious home, so this gave us pause. We have since found other healthier vegan cookie recipes.

Compared to their cupcake book, this one is not "super", but they taste good and are nice for a once-in-a-while treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious beyond words!!, November 16, 2009
Cook and Baker (NH United States) - See all my reviews
I thought the author's Vegan Brunch book was about as good as it could get, but this one surpasses even the gingerbread waffles which are my favorite from the brunch book. So far, we have feasted on the sweet port sesame cookies-unique and unbelievable in taste and texture, the blackstrap molasses spice cookies-spicy and full of molasses flavor, and today the cowboy cookies, simply the best choc chip cookie I have ever tasted. They are crispy on the outside, soft and chewy when you take a bite, and the flavor of oats, nuts and coconut blend perfectly. Can't wait to make my way through the rest of the selections. One is more appealing than the next, and the photos are not only beautiful, but accurate representations of what comes out of the oven. Buy this book, you won't be sorry!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing cookies! You have to get this book!, November 13, 2009
S. Perkins (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I became interested in vegan baking when I wanted to make something for a vegan friend. I discovered Isa and Terry through their website, and now I am addicted to their cookbooks! Everything I have made (and that is a lot!) has been delicious, and this book is no exception.

I'm not even vegan, but it is nice to not have to use eggs and butter in everything. More importantly, these are just plain delicious cookies, and the recipes are so interesting and creative.

So far we have made the Blackstrap gingersnaps (chewy and delicious, perfect with tea), the Espresso Chip Oatmeal cookies (they were phenomenal), Banana everything cookies, added cocoa nibs, they were great for snacks. I can't wait to try more.

And it's also just a fun book to look through, great size, great photos, fun writing...okay, I like this book. Why are you still reading this? Go and buy it! You will not be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookie Ookie Ookie, December 29, 2009
I am an avid baker and a recent Vegan. As the holidays approached I found myself in a moral dilemma! I always give cookie boxes as gifts, but how could I produce a delicious, jealousy inspired vegan cookie?? We all know cookies MUST have eggs and REAL butter! Then my sister gave me this book as a gift. Skeptical, I choose 9 cookies to bake which included: Lazy Somoas, Peanut Butter Pillows, Grapefruit Icebox Cookies, Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, Chocolate Chip Chai Spice Cookies and Chocolate Dipped Macaroons.

My conclusion: BEST COOKIES EVER!! The ingredients needed for these cookies were not really that expensive, hard to find or exotic. The directions were clear and amazingly accurate! They made almost exactly how many they said they would (always more, never less when the amount differed) and they cooked for almost exactly the amount of time they said they would need! The cookies themselves turned out beyond wonderful. Delicious and beautiful, as if I'd stopped at a high end bakery (and really pretty easy to make, which of course I would never admit to those who will be receiving the cookies as gifts!)

I would honestly say this is the best baking cookbook I own. The poor thing looks like it's been in my kitchen for 10 years not 1 week! I can't wait to get their cupcake book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow the herd, April 20, 2013
I agree with the majority, this book is stellar. Not one recipe has failed me thus far. Instead of singing praises over the two amazing authors, I'll just dive right in and list my favorites:

Chocolate Chip Cookies: duh

Chocolate Fudgy Oatmeal Cookies: So moist, don't skip the almond extract and cherries!

City Girl Snickerdoodles: Just like momma made

Sell Your Soul Pumpkin Cookies: Which is exactly what I would do for a batch of these

Banana Everything Cookies: OMG, I am B-A-N-Anas for these

Peanut Butter Crisscrosses: Another one just like momma used to make

Carmel Pecan Bars: A bar does not get more perfect than this, I make these for the holidays every year and every year my non-vegan family members gobble them up and claim that there is no way they are vegan.

Lemon Bars: They are lemon bars, I don't need to sell them.

Roll-and-Cut Sugar Cookies: They don't get more classic than this one.

Gingerbread Cut-Out Cookies: So perfectly dense and moist.

No-Bake Pecan Chocolates: If you a problem with saying no to sweets, you need to stay away from these.

Overall, if you want a go-to vegan cookie cookbook (say that 10 times fast), then this is your book. It's perfection and whenever I NEED a cookie, I know I can find satisfaction in this book. I want for no other cookie recipes at this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make way for the invasion, November 10, 2009
KayG (Charleston, WV) - See all my reviews
I love this book. Just have to get that up front so readers are not forced to search for the bias. Having said that I have made 10 different kinds of cookies and bars from this book so far, and am just warming up. Part of the addiction is that the recipes are easy and the results have been so tasty and popular that I feel like a great baker. And so I continue to feed the neighborhood and office, one batch at a time. Some highlights: the Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles are good - spicy, fudgy, sugary - just yum! The chocolate chip cookies are staples in my house. The carrot raisin spice chewies are yummy and feel like healthy snacking. The chocolate fudgy oatmeal cookies have been consumed for breakfast, as they go well with coffee and contain oatmeal - what could be simpler? The pumpkin chocolate brownies were festive and tasty. The call me blondies and the lemon bars. . . . like finding old friends. The blackstrap gingersnap cookies and chocolate crinkles and hazelnut linzertorte thumbprints are perfect with tea. . . .
I cannot remember the last time I have made more recipes from a cookbook and there are stickie notes on many more pages for recipes to try.
I may have bought this book because I am a vegan baker, but this is a wonderful opportunity to bake delicious treats without dairy and eggs. You have to try these recipes!

$17.95 $12.85