Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Showing 1-10 of 191 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on October 29, 2009
It was worth waiting for, you guys! The authors of Veganomicon and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World work their magic on cookies this time around.

First off: it's adorable. The pictures, the colours, the font. Yeah, I like the font! It is such a charming cookbook, I really enjoy flipping through it.

Also, these seasoned pros give very handy tips for baking novices such as myself. Equipment, ingredients, substitutions, troubleshooting, they've covered all the bases before laying out the recipes.

And the recipes themselves! Wow. I've made a few that were previewed this spring, the Magical Coconut Bars and Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillows, so I knew this was the real deal. But.....this just has it all. All-time favorites, regional classics and innovative variations, everything you could possibly want in a cookie. Snickerdoodles, Cheesecake Brownies, Sweet Potato Blondies, I mean really. It's insane.

I picked up the book last night (my bookstore got it early!) and made two recipes from the "wholesome" section: Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies and Applesauce Softies. Utilizing natural sweeteners and whole wheat flour, they were hearty, earthy and healthy. And delicious!

I leave you with this: Vegan Lemon Bars. There, that's all you need to know.
33 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2009
The recipes in this book are simply amazing. So many classics and new flavors too. All very tasty and very pretty. The recipes range from pretty easy to a little more advanced.

Gorgeous photos, and the two authors' writing is so clever and makes you feel like you're baking with a friend in the kitchen.

My personal favorites include the tahini lime cookies, the linzer thumbprints, the cranberry white chocolate chip biscotti, the cheesecake-topped brownies, starry chocolate shortbread, the almond pignoli cookies, and the blueberry spice crumb bars. Every recipe I made has been gobbled up by family, friends, and coworkers alike.

Get this book for you, or the cookie lover in your life!!
on April 20, 2013
I agree with the majority, this book is stellar. Not one recipe has failed me thus far. Instead of singing praises over the two amazing authors, I'll just dive right in and list my favorites:

Chocolate Chip Cookies: duh

Chocolate Fudgy Oatmeal Cookies: So moist, don't skip the almond extract and cherries!

City Girl Snickerdoodles: Just like momma made

Sell Your Soul Pumpkin Cookies: Which is exactly what I would do for a batch of these

Banana Everything Cookies: OMG, I am B-A-N-Anas for these

Peanut Butter Crisscrosses: Another one just like momma used to make

Carmel Pecan Bars: A bar does not get more perfect than this, I make these for the holidays every year and every year my non-vegan family members gobble them up and claim that there is no way they are vegan.

Lemon Bars: They are lemon bars, I don't need to sell them.

Roll-and-Cut Sugar Cookies: They don't get more classic than this one.

Gingerbread Cut-Out Cookies: So perfectly dense and moist.

No-Bake Pecan Chocolates: If you a problem with saying no to sweets, you need to stay away from these.

Overall, if you want a go-to vegan cookie cookbook (say that 10 times fast), then this is your book. It's perfection and whenever I NEED a cookie, I know I can find satisfaction in this book. I want for no other cookie recipes at this point.
on November 4, 2009
I have not made a receipe from Isa or Terry that hasn't been delicious, and the recipes in this book will be no exception! Sweet Wine Biscuits with Sesame? Peanut Butter Blondies? Peanut Apple Pretzel Drops? The recipes feature ingredients that are easy to find (for the most part) and relatively easy to put together. The results really are always fantastic. The Chocolate Chip Cookies are amazing, as are the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles. These cookies are suitable for everyone-vegan and nonvegan! The pictures are mouthwatering and the layout is simple and easy to follow. I highly recommend this book for anyone who loves cookies-vegans and nonvegans alike! You will not be disappointed.
on November 16, 2009
I thought the author's Vegan Brunch book was about as good as it could get, but this one surpasses even the gingerbread waffles which are my favorite from the brunch book. So far, we have feasted on the sweet port sesame cookies-unique and unbelievable in taste and texture, the blackstrap molasses spice cookies-spicy and full of molasses flavor, and today the cowboy cookies, simply the best choc chip cookie I have ever tasted. They are crispy on the outside, soft and chewy when you take a bite, and the flavor of oats, nuts and coconut blend perfectly. Can't wait to make my way through the rest of the selections. One is more appealing than the next, and the photos are not only beautiful, but accurate representations of what comes out of the oven. Buy this book, you won't be sorry!!
on December 29, 2009
I am an avid baker and a recent Vegan. As the holidays approached I found myself in a moral dilemma! I always give cookie boxes as gifts, but how could I produce a delicious, jealousy inspired vegan cookie?? We all know cookies MUST have eggs and REAL butter! Then my sister gave me this book as a gift. Skeptical, I choose 9 cookies to bake which included: Lazy Somoas, Peanut Butter Pillows, Grapefruit Icebox Cookies, Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, Chocolate Chip Chai Spice Cookies and Chocolate Dipped Macaroons.

My conclusion: BEST COOKIES EVER!! The ingredients needed for these cookies were not really that expensive, hard to find or exotic. The directions were clear and amazingly accurate! They made almost exactly how many they said they would (always more, never less when the amount differed) and they cooked for almost exactly the amount of time they said they would need! The cookies themselves turned out beyond wonderful. Delicious and beautiful, as if I'd stopped at a high end bakery (and really pretty easy to make, which of course I would never admit to those who will be receiving the cookies as gifts!)

I would honestly say this is the best baking cookbook I own. The poor thing looks like it's been in my kitchen for 10 years not 1 week! I can't wait to get their cupcake book!
on November 13, 2009
I became interested in vegan baking when I wanted to make something for a vegan friend. I discovered Isa and Terry through their website, and now I am addicted to their cookbooks! Everything I have made (and that is a lot!) has been delicious, and this book is no exception.

I'm not even vegan, but it is nice to not have to use eggs and butter in everything. More importantly, these are just plain delicious cookies, and the recipes are so interesting and creative.

So far we have made the Blackstrap gingersnaps (chewy and delicious, perfect with tea), the Espresso Chip Oatmeal cookies (they were phenomenal), Banana everything cookies, added cocoa nibs, they were great for snacks. I can't wait to try more.

And it's also just a fun book to look through, great size, great photos, fun writing...okay, I like this book. Why are you still reading this? Go and buy it! You will not be sorry.
on November 10, 2009
I love this book. Just have to get that up front so readers are not forced to search for the bias. Having said that I have made 10 different kinds of cookies and bars from this book so far, and am just warming up. Part of the addiction is that the recipes are easy and the results have been so tasty and popular that I feel like a great baker. And so I continue to feed the neighborhood and office, one batch at a time. Some highlights: the Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles are good - spicy, fudgy, sugary - just yum! The chocolate chip cookies are staples in my house. The carrot raisin spice chewies are yummy and feel like healthy snacking. The chocolate fudgy oatmeal cookies have been consumed for breakfast, as they go well with coffee and contain oatmeal - what could be simpler? The pumpkin chocolate brownies were festive and tasty. The call me blondies and the lemon bars. . . . like finding old friends. The blackstrap gingersnap cookies and chocolate crinkles and hazelnut linzertorte thumbprints are perfect with tea. . . .
I cannot remember the last time I have made more recipes from a cookbook and there are stickie notes on many more pages for recipes to try.
I may have bought this book because I am a vegan baker, but this is a wonderful opportunity to bake delicious treats without dairy and eggs. You have to try these recipes!
on January 22, 2012
So far I have made just 3 recipes out of this book, but those three recipes have be insane good! I made the Ooh-la-las, hot chocolate snicker doodles, and just made the chocolate chip cookies tonight. All have been outstanding! My poor omnivore hubby has had to taste some not-so-successful vegan attempts at cookies, and tonight he said these cookies were so good. He said, "See what happens when you stray from vegan baking? These are REALLY good!"... Well he ate those words as soon as I informed him they WERE vegan! I am so thankful for this book, to show all the non-believers that veganism is just as easy and delicious as non vegan foods. Hot chocolate snicker doodles are still my favorite though... So far. :)
review image
on December 11, 2010
Really. I bought this book just for the B&W cookie recipe. I haven't found a really good one since I left NYC and thought I'd never have one again now that I'm newly vegan.

Now, just to be fair - I'm a really, really crappy baker. However, the recipe was great and I was thrilled with the results. I still want to know how to get vanilla icing to be white, like in the picture, mine always comes out..kinda maple colored. But the taste is great. The chocolate chip cookies were a big hit at a recent gathering.

My only request would be that subsequent books have altitude modifications on them. Living at 7K' presents challenges to an already baking-challenged cook~

HIGH ALTITUDE UPDATE (7,000):Reduce both leavenings by 1/4 tsp and reduce sugar by 1/4 cup - Perfection!
review image