4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Vegan Cookbook
Published on April 25, 2012 by Norma Lehmeierhartie

Love the forward by Portia de Rossi, who I find to be quite thoughtful. The photos in the book are great (wish my dishes looked so great!).

That said, I was disappointed in the book for two reasons: (1) Too many soy-centric recipes and (2) too many recipes that use white flour.

I know, it's probably too much to ask for a vegan cooking book to use...
Published on May 3, 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Vegan Cookbook, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat (Hardcover)
Vegan Cooking for Carnivores by Roberto Martin is a good primer for those interested in learning the basics of vegan cooking. Martin covers breakfast, lunch, dinner, sauces and snacks. Trained at the Culinary Arts Institute, he has no formal training in vegetarian/vegan cooking. When Hired by Portia and Ellen to be their personal chef, he simply adopted both his and their favorite recipes into vegan dishes. This is the most valuable take away from the book--that many (my words--not all recipes can be converted)meat or dairy based dishes can be made vegan when you learn what plant based ingredients can be substituted for meat or dairy.

Martin uses tofu, beans, faux meat substitutes, vegan mayonnaise, butter and cheese, and milk substitutes like soy and almond to make dishes that will appeal "to carnivores." He does not include a recipe to make your own seitan--a basic vegetarian protein--however. In other words, he keeps it simple.

Most of the recipes are easy with no cumbersome list of ingredients...that said, for those of you who might like to be more adventurous, this might not be for you. This cookbook is a primer...seasoned vegans may still get something out of it, but it is aimed at beginners or people who like to eat simply.

Breakfasts include different pancakes, waffles, tofu scrambles. I was surprised that I didn't see any smoothies. All looked good and would appeal to most.

Lunch included a good basic recipe for tofu egg salad--tofu, pickles, scallion, celery, vegan mayo, mustard...I tried the grilled vegetable sandwich and it was quite good. (Although he goes to great lengths to make the French bread just right....I would do it much more easily.)

Some really nice sauces like chipolte cream....

Apparently, his Red Beans and Rice dish are Portia and Ellen's favorite...they have it every Monday. I haven't made it yet, but it look quite good--batsmati rice, beans, faux sausage, some veggies and spices. Easy and easy to get ingredients.

I did try the Mexican style rice and beans with tomato and avocado to be eaten with tortillas and it was delicious.

He recommends store bought vegetarian stock for many of his recipes and while it is good, I would recommend making your own. It isn't difficult--save your veggie scraps--freezing them until you have a nice pile. Boil them for an hour or so, discard solids...voila! Stock! freeze in 1-2 cups containers. Much, much better than anything you can buy.

Overall, I liked this book, and recommend it for people trying to add more veggie based meals to their lives.

Author, Harmonious Environment, Beautify, Detoxify & Energize Your Life, Your Home & Your Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking up a storm and loving it!, May 2, 2012
I love this book. I've had it about four days and have cooked meals from it every day. I've been vegan for only a year. The stuffed mushrooms are wonderful. I made the tortilla soup. I just finished making the red onion jam so that I will have it available this week for sandwiches and salads. I'm going to make the chicken pot pie this week. I have not worked up the courage to try the tamales yet. I've always heard they are so hard to make and I'm scared to try them. Buy this book! You will eat well and have fun!

By the way, when you make the chipotle cream (which I highly recommend) you will have a lot of chipotle peppers left over. Don't waste them. Whir them all in a blender and then drop teaspoons of them on waxed paper and freeze. Once frozen, store in plastic bag. Add to pots of beans or stews as appropriate.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vegan recipes don't necessarily mean healthy and often mean soy-based, May 3, 2012

I know, it's probably too much to ask for a vegan cooking book to use more non-soy, non-bean sources of protein, but since I can't eat soy, I'm always looking for vegan recipes that use something else. Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of "well, substitute something else for Gardein or tofu." Substitute with what? Give me a seitan recipe to substitute or some ready-made non-soy product or the recipe is pretty useless. Then again, maybe there just is no substitute for a block of tofu and I'm just screwed.

The unfortunate thing is that many of the most interesting and different recipes that remind us of our carnivore days use soy -- Tofu Crab Cakes, Southern Fride Chick'N (using Gardein), Chick'N Potpie, for example.

Perhaps most disappointing in the book -- and a reminder to me that Vegan cooking doesn't in itself mean healthy -- is how much white flour is used in his recipes (even if used in combination with a whole grain flour). For those of us who are trying to eliminate white from our lives these recipes are rendered useless without suggested substitutes.

Still, there are definitely some recipes I plan to try here and I can only hope mine look as delicious as they look in the book and taste good too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for ideas - wish there were more pictures of dishes, May 10, 2012
Kat (California) - See all my reviews
I bought this strictly for the red beans and rice recipe. I love red beans and rice, like the chain Popeyes makes, with the smokey flavor and creamy beans. I have yet to find one that I can duplicate at home and I no longer eat at that restaurant.

I went vegan 30 years ago because I had no desire to eat animals. My second goal is to eat more homemade foods, not processed foods. I am a very picky eater and have a limited selection of foods I can tolerate. I keep trying different cookbooks trying to find easy to prepare meals that are nutritious with simple ingredients.

I don't like recipes that have you substitute meat with faux meat. I don't even like the thought of the faux meat. So I guess I am trying to say, is if you need the faux meat to help you stay vegan, then this is a good book. If the idea of eating faux meat to simulate meat doesn't appeal to you, you might want to look elsewhere for a different book.

The red beans and rice recipe was okay. But I ended up throwing out the leftovers simply because of the faux sausage. Or aka Vegan Sausage. First, I used half of what the recipe called for and it was still WAY too much. Wish I had never included it at all, but then I don't know how the recipe would have been without the spices.

If anyone knows of a recipe for red beans and rice without any substitute meat products, I would love to hear about it.

Pros: It does have some good recipes with some being simple and quick.

Cons: Some recipes do not have photos. I like to see the finished product. Also, it would have been nice to have altered recipes if you don't want to use substitute meat. I also wish it were spiral bound, but that's being picky.

It's an okay book, but not my favorite. I won't be returning it, but it won't be my go to book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recipes!, April 26, 2012
I have tried a dozen of these recipes already, they all turned out wonderful! It's perfect for those looking to eliminate a bit of meat and dairy from their diet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not enough depth, April 29, 2012
Vegan Food for Carnivores is a beautiful book-great pictures of people and food. I think the chapters on pasta, sauces, and desserts are worth the cover price alone. However, I feel the author relied too heavily on Gardein, a great product, but somewhat expensive, and I'm not sure it is widely available. I too was surprised that there was no recipe for seitan-a delicious and cost effective vegan protein if home-made. I was also surprised that the Chef, especially being a CIA trained chef couldn't come up with an original recipe for a veggie burger-he uses frozen veggie burgers from the store! The thing that bothered me the most is his recommendation to use premade pie crusts {Pillsbury} which happen to have LARD in them, at least here in New York State!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cookbook!, May 11, 2012
This is just an awesome cookbook. The pictures are beautiful and the writing is very engaging. Portia wrote a very poignant forward and Ellen wrote a great afterward outlining her decision to go vegan and said she lost weight and no longer has rosacea due to this decision. I appreciated her honesty in mentioning that they can afford a chef and yet Portia had even made some of the dishes. Well, guess what...I'm a very beginner cook and I did, too! I have made the vegan chili and the tortilla soup and they were both amazing. I am a new vegan and my pantry is not completely set up yet as a vegan pantry, and yet I found that I already had most of the ingredients for many of the recipes in this book. I can't wait to try more recipes. Great job, Roberto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fried Chicken is the BEST, May 13, 2012
Coghan "CBB" (Hurdle Mills, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
I am a darn good cook, in fact, I'm the best cook I know. Which isn't being boastful, because there are better chefs than me clearly. But I am in demand in my community for a variety of dishes.. mostly meat intensive. Fat juicy steaks, whole pig BBQ, brunswick stew.. if it is full of meat, I've made a trademark version that people love. Recently my wife and I have decided that vegetarianism, and potentially veganism, is an important next step for us on our spiritual path. But what to cook? So I got this book, and although I made a few tweaks to the seasoning, I pretty much followed the fried chicken recipe step by step. The result was better than any fried chicken I have ever made before, and better than any I have even tasted before. The 'skin' came out perfectly and I doubt the casual diner would realize at first it wasn't real chicken skin. The Gardein chicken substitute was pretty darn close to a boneless skinless chicken breast. This isn't the first vegan meal I have made, but it was the best so far. For this one recipe alone, the book was worth the price. (I suggest exchanging the premix blackening spice for a a quarter teaspoon each of black pepper, smoked paprika, and dark chili powder). I have to say too that I am a big eater, and I was only able to get down about 1 and a half patties with some veggies on the side and I was so full I was miserable (happily so!) Next week, I'll be making a recipe from the book every day. But I can tell already that this is going to be a fine way to cook and eat. I was so worried I would have to suffer through sprout casserole and wheat grass soup for the rest of my life to make this change.. I'm ecstatic that isn't the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful healthy food, April 30, 2012
Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat by Roberto Martin is a life saver for me. I've become a vegetarian over the last year (well, mostly a vegetarian) and building a library of recipes has been a real chore. I'm not a fan of tofu so I'm really fighting a losing battle. Martin's recipe for Spring Rolls and Dipping Sauce is wonderful as are most of his recipes for pasta and sauces. I haven't tried more than a few of his concoctions (no disrespect intended) but will get to more soon.

One of the special elements of Vegan Cooking for Carnivores is the fact that Martin includes recipes that you will recognize and might even be familiar with. He shows you how to substitute any number of ingredients for meat including using beans and meat substitutes (textured protein). In the end, following his tips, you'll find yourself pleasantly satisfied.

I promise you that Vegan Cooking for Carnivores won't sit forgotten on you book shelf.

I highly recommend.

Peace to all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, May 4, 2012
I like this book. It has some nice basic recipes that aren't overly involved and some that have a little more flair if you want to get adventurous. There are also some really unique recipes. I have close to 40 vegan cookbooks and I still found lots of good things to try that are new and different in this one.

Yes, he does use some convenience foods like Gardein but if you don't want to use those, then don't... you can sub in tempeh or tofu or even something else. If you don't want to use white flour, use whole wheat. Make your own pie crust if you don't want store bought. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make substitutions! Get over it.

Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat