Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on May 17, 2012
Really disappointed in this cookbook. I made the red velvet and the so-called fluffy buttercream icing and it just didn't whip properly. I used a Kitchenaid hand mixer - not the stand mixer so maybe that would have made a difference - but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter.
on June 30, 2012
This book is ridiculous. As with EVERY recipe I have attempted to prepare that Isa Chandra Moskowitz has written, none of the recipes turn out properly. I am not a novice baker. I bake almost exclusively vegan and have made literally thousands of baked goods over just the past six years. That being said, every single recipe I have tried from this book ( vanilla cupcakes, crimson velveteen cupcakes, maple cupcakes, peanut butter cupcakes, vegan fluffy buttercream, chocolate buttercream, peanut buttercream frosting, creamy maple frosting, and vegan cream cheese frosting) has failed. I have used two different gas ovens, baked in all types of weather, and used all sorts of different brands of ingredients and failure ensues every time. The cupcakes are either completely underbaked and soggy/sunken or so fragile that they crumble at the lightest touch. The frostings on the other hand have always come out so incredibly dense and heavy that I have exploded two very nice pastry bags when attempting to pipe the frosting. All except the cream cheese frosting which was just a runny, flavorless mess. To be honest, I should have known better than to purchase this book. An old room mate owned a copy of Vegan with a Vengeance and I experienced the same sad results when I attempted any of the recipes in that book. Maybe I am being too harsh. Maybe I am a terrible baker who just lacks the NASA grade kitchen necessary to produce the results Moskowitz advertises. On the other hand, I have made dozens of recipes from Party Vegan: Fabulous, Fun Food For Every Occasion and all have turned out perfectly!
77 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2012
I'm so disappointed because I've tried 3/4 of the recipes of this book and unfortunately most of them have been a complete failure, they're not good at all.
66 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2012
This is a disaster of a book. I made the vanilla cupcake recipe. The first time I made them, they sunk. I thought I might have added too much baking soda, so I gave them another try. The second time, it looked like they sank, and then rose again. I followed the directions precisely, to the letter. I made them with all fresh ingredients.

I'm going to try to return this to Amazon because it is so bad. This tells me never to trust the reviews of the people on this site.
VINE VOICEon January 28, 2014
I decided to become a vegan after watching the movie "Forks Over Swords". I bought ten vegan cookbooks from Amazon including this one and its compatriots the cookie and pie books by the same author. The cookie book was a total disaster with completely tasteless cookies which turned into rocks when cooled. The pie book was a little better in that the pie was edible, but barely. Now comes another loser in this cupcake book.

I decided to try out the Maple cupcakes. On hand I had most of the ingredients - soymilk, apple cider vinegar, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground nutmeg, maple syrup, canola oil, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract. I was able to purchase walnuts and maple syrup locally. No store within 20 miles had any maple extract. I was able to order it from Amazon and it took 4 days to receive because it was not actually shipped by Amazon. The 1 1/4 teaspoons I needed cost $15.18.

Having finally accumulated all the ingredients the preparation began. From the start until the cupcakes were removed from the oven the required time was 2 hours and 15 minutes. After a cooling period I sampled one of the crumbling apart cupcakes and found that it had no taste whatsoever. I then tried another crumbling loser to which I added the "Creamy Maple Dressing" and, hooray! I could taste the maple syrup, not surprisingly.

This last cookbook ends my vegan experience. It has been nothing but mostly tasteless meals that required abnormal amounts of time to prepare and ingredients that no one ever heard of and which cost a fortune to obtain. The final straw was these three cookbooks which I purchased to get a break from the tasteless meals. The recipes in these three books follow the pattern of extended preparation, boatloads of ingredients of which some are nearly impossible to find and a complete lack of desirable taste. I was a vegetarian in the eighth grade, high school, college and seminary. When I left school I joined the USMC and started eating meat as I did in my pre-eighth grade period. I am going back to the vegetarian life. Good bye veganism.
on July 12, 2011
I really wanted to like these vegan cupcakes. I'm no vegan, but I wanted to experiment. Result? Disappointment.
The cupcakes themselves were virtually tasteless - you must use frosting if you want to save them, but what's the point in having a chocolate cupcake that only tastes of buttercream icing?
I don't know whether it's specifically these recipes or if it's vegan recipes in general (i suspect it's the latter - I have yet to be blown away by a recipe that doesn't use butter. I'm sorry, it's just crucial for chocolate), but I thoroughly regret this purchase.
1313 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2008
I borrowed the book from library trying to take a look at the recipes before deciding to buy one. Looked at most of the recipes, one thing caught my eyes -- most of the recipes call for 3/4 or a full cup of suger! It's true that they don't contain dairy but such a mount of suger is not healthy even in baking.

If you already have a baking recipe book, learn to substitute unwanted ingredients (like using rice milk for milk) and cut down the overdozed ingredients like suger or fat. For example, my daughter (11 years old) recently pulled out a muffin recipe from the Betty Crocker cook book - substituted any fat or butter with olive oil, milk with rice milk, suger with honey or apple sauce, white flour with oat flour, and cut down the suggested suger (substituted with honey) amount by more than half. The result was the best muffin we have ever had - delicious and healthy!

So I won't buy this book.
2626 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse