5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!
I am absolutely loving "Vegan Diner," not only is this cookbook full of beautiful and enticing photos but its filled with great recipes too! i like how there isn't a million recipes in this book but rather what looks like tried and true favorites of the author (who seems like such a sweet and awesome person)! What I've made so far includes:

BREAKFAST:...
Published on March 22, 2011 by vallness

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas; unreliable recipes
I was very excited to get this book - finding vegan recipes that are appealing to omnivorous family members is always on my to-to list. This book seemed like it would be full of comforting vegan takes on classic family favorites.

I will say the book is full of good ideas and lots of interesting takes on seitan-based roasts, etc. However, although the resulting...
Published on November 6, 2011 by Alexandra

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, March 22, 2011
vallness (east of the bay, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul (Paperback)

BREAKFAST:
Spelt Chai Pancakes - These pancakes were so yummy! They were perfectly spiced, light, and fluffy, just what a pancake should be! The recipe as is was great for two people as it made only 4 average sized pancakes rather than the stated 7, make a double batch if there's more people eating!
My Big Fat Greek Scramble - YUM! Exactly what I would expect if I was ordering this at a diner! I loved everything about this delicious scramble all of the herbs and spices and the wonderful olives.
Blueberry Loaf Cake with Lemon Glaze - This was great. It makes a moist and fluffy not to sweet cake, I skipped out on the glaze and subbed half the ap flour with ww and it was just fine.
Breakfast Potatoes with Peppers and Onions - Your basic home fries that are comforting for a nice weekend breakfast!
Creamy Sage Gravy - Hell yes! This is an excellent basic white gravy that is delicious! I used it to make the Breakfast Potato and Sausage skillet and it was heaven! I cut back on the pepper significantly though and am glad i did cuz 1 tsp seems excessive to me.
Herbed Breakfast Sausage Patties - So easy and so tasty! I knew these would be great as I've made her Italian Sausages many times before and loved them! I think I would add a bit more salt because sausages are salty in my mind but altogether these are awesome and so easy to prepare!
Crispy Banana-Cinnamon Waffles - Exactly what the title says, so yummy!

BREADS:
Sweet Cornbread - This cornbread rocked my socks off! The ingredients are so simple but turned out a tasty and perfect cornbread (even with subbing half the ap flour with ww). This is the first vegan cornbread to rival the cornbread of my childhood!
Chipotle Scallion Double Corn Bread - This is a tasty bread but I like the sweet one even more.
Garlic Dill Bread - This turned out great but had to much of a beer aftertaste for my palate, my partner who loves beer loved this bread.

SOUPS, SALADS, AND SIDES:
Quick and Hearty Chili - This is my new go-to chili! What can I say, this chili is super flavorful, hearty, and what I crave when I crave chili. Its also super simple and comes together quick, bonus!
Old Fashioned Tomato Soup - This was so delicious and creamy and so so easy.
Home-Style Veggie Noodle Soup - This is a great comforting noodle soup!
Sandwich Slaw - Basic and delicious on the Q Sandwiches.
Smokey Curls - AMAZING and addictive!
Sweetheart Fries - yum!

MAIN COURSES:
Very Sloppy Joes - These weren't my thing, maybe a bit too smokey? My partner really liked them though:)
Quinoa Burgers - My new favorite veggie burgers! These are so freaking good!
Cheesy Mac - Loved this creamy sauce!
Jambalaya - Spicy and comforting!
Veggies and Dumplings - So easy and so comforting!
Smokey Seitan Roast - Fantastic in the Q sandwiches!
Home Style Loaf - Love this recipe, again a new favorite! Great the next day for sandwiches.
Chicken Style Seitan Loaf - This is so delicious! Great in sandwiches or just sliced with some mashed potatoes and greens.

DESSERTS:
Soft and Chewy Choc Chip Cookies - Great easy recipe with less oil than other recipes.
Double Chocolate Strawberry Pie - Not my thing but I made it for my neighbors and they raved about it!
Chocolate Mint Truffle Pie - OMG so rich and amazing, not to mention easy!
Easy Blackberry Skillet Pie - I've only made this with a combo of frozen blueberry and raspberries and it was excellent especially with ice cream!
Lemon Diner Cheesecake - Out of this world good! It's so rich and is an excellent non-dairy replica of the original!
PB Chunk Ice Cream - So great! I love this recipe because you don't have to cook the ice cream mixture, it goes from the blender to the ice cream maker!

SAUCES AND INCIDENTALS:
Great Smokey Mountain Cheeze - Wow just wow! This is an amazing vegan cheese, so much better than any you can buy and easy to make too! Its creamy, smokey, rich, and sliceable making it such a great multipurpose cheese. Make this cheese and see for yourself, you won't be disappointed!
Creamy Sage and Pepper Gravy - I want to this on everything every time I make it!
Rich Brown Gravy - Oil free gravy?!!! So freaking good, another smoother absolutely everything with it gravy!
Two-Pepper Golden Gravy - This wasn't my favorite, I prefer the brown one I guess.
Rough Rider BBQ Sauce - Super sweet and thick, excellent on the Q sandwiches.

I can't wait to make more from this book, I have had nothing but delicious meals outta here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real vegan comfort food!, April 13, 2011
I ordered and received this cookbook recently. My first impression is that the cover picture and other pictures in the book are beautiful. This book also has a good quality. Great publisher!

Now, I believe this is the first vegan cookbook by Julie Hasson. Good for you Julie! I tried several recipes already and everything I tried was delicious. Here are the list I tried:

THE BLUE PLATE SPECIAL (under Main Courses, pg 107) - With a name of a dish like that who doesn't want to try it? I know you have to make 3 things to make a blue plate special: Savory Cornbread Waffle, Smoky Potato Scramble, and Creamy Sage and Pepper Gravy but they are all delicious by itself and combined together. I actually made them on a Sunday night and pack them for lunch the next day. I gave my husband an instruction how to eat them: crispy waffle on the bottom, top with scramble and gravy. My husband called me from work after consuming this lunch and said that it was the best lunch that he had lately. We had the leftover for dinner, too! Yummy!

BREAKFAST BENEDICTS FLORENTINE (under Breakfast, pg. 48) - we had breakfast food for dinner or lunch. It was great and all the same. I didn't really make my own English Muffin or the veg sausage, shame on me (I used gimme lean, but the I made the Hollandaise sauce from this book. It is a wonderful meal!

CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SWIRL BREAD (under Breads, pg. 57) - Now, this is a WINNER. Hazelnuts, chocolate, and cinnamon? Boy, the combinations will make your mouth water. It turned out to be a huge bread (pictured) and I gave half to my neighbor (now they owe me for the rest of their life) and they loved it. I just microwave for 30 seconds when eating the leftover bread and the chocolate will melt in the bread and in my mouth. It was best when it just came out of the oven. If you love bread, you got to try this! We had this bread for the whole week in the morning with coffee. Oooooooh, so good!

QUICK AND HEARTY CHILI (under Soups, Salads, and Sides, pg. 70) - yummy and quick! This is the kind of chili that is not chunky and will be good to put on a veggie dog or french fries (as chili fries). It can win a chili cook off. Really!

NOT YOUR MAMA'S POT ROAST WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES (under Main Courses, pg. 117) - It was a great seitan dish and was very easy. I use my crockpot and just left it to do it's own thing while I watch TV. How cool is that? Just be careful of the salt content, especially, if you use a salty vegetable stock. Or the dish will become too salty. I had to reduce the soy sauce and the marmite yeast paste.

BARBEQUED RIBZ (under Main Courses, pg. 112) - I know it is not summer yet and it's too cold to bbq outside but I just can't wait. This is my favorite. I used oven's broiler. It's not the same as grilling it but the taste is still great. I am loving it!

CHIPOTLE SCALLION DOUBLE CORNBREAD (under Breads, pg. 55) - I like the idea of Chipotle powder and scallions in this corn bread. It tastes good but the texture is a bit odd and gummy. I don't know what I did wrong or maybe I didn't bake it enough. Or maybe the kernel corns were not thawed enough. Really don't know. I may try it again. We had this with Quick and Hearty Chili.

We didn't try the desserts yet since I am trying to cut down on sugar but they look good. Julie is always creating great desserts so I don't doubt that they are all delicious.

I will try more recipes later and they all look so good. It was a great investment and I will use this cookbook as often as I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and Beautiful!, March 5, 2011
This is one of the most beautiful cookbooks I have ever seen. Even the copyright page is adoreable. Beyond the beauty of the book is the deliciousness of the food. The "big fat greek scramble" takes tofu scrambles to a whole new level, and the "old fashioned rice pudding" reminds me of being a kid again. Oh, did I mention the pies? Just imagine, anything you would want to order from a greasy spoon, now buy this book and make the cruelty free version of it in your own kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, March 28, 2011
This is a beautiful book with lots of photos to show what the food will look like. It has many dishes that will be our everyday favorites.
The Sweet Cornbread is very easy and delicious.
The Blueberry Loaf Cake with Lemon Glaze was heavenly.
The Chocolate Cherry Cake had my husband raving in delight.
The Quick and Hearty Chili is my new go-to chili recipe.
The Great Smoky Mountain Cheeze was delicious and easy.
The Brown Rice Hazelnut Burgers are my new favorite veggie burgers.
I tried to make the Orange Cornbread Waffles but discovered that my waffle iron was not heating up after I had mixed up the batter; no problem, I turned the batter into some yummy pancakes, and liked them so much I will make them that way again.

I have had this book for only a week and plan to try many more recipes.
The only unusual ingredients are agar, vital wheat gluten, non-dairy milks, nutritional yeast flakes, tofu, and some flours. Thse are not unusual in my own kitchen, but people new to vegan cooking might be unfamiliar with them. She has a section in the front explaing ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegan Donuts? Yes, you can!, April 2, 2011
Vegan Diner is worth the price for the diner donuts alone! But wait, there's more! I was lucky to be a tester for this book so have been making many of these recipes for a while now! Some favorites are: Cinnamon Orange Rolls (unbelievable!), Blueberry loaf cake with lemon glaze, diner granola, the whole grain pancake mix (so convenient; a staple in my 'fridge), chocolate-hazelnut swirl bread, english muffins, creamy horseradish potato salad, veggies and dumplings (a favorite of my omni family), italian sausage cutlets, pretty much the entire dessert chapter but specifically the lemon cheesecake and the ice creams, the great smoky mountain cheese is fantastic, too. Just about all of the ingredients needed are easily found at most large grocery stores. This book is a wonderful addition to any cookbook collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly good comfort food for vegans, May 8, 2011
Ginny (Port Townsend, WA) - See all my reviews
I love this cookbook! It's packed with great recipes for the best kinds of comfort food as well as fantastic photos of old-fashioned diners. The food photography is excellent--really some of the best I've seen in a vegan cookbook--and the cover with its yummy-looking food and retro feel (that burger and fries in a red plastic basket :) gives the book wonderful appeal. (And yes, there are instructions for creating a Blue Plate Special.)

So far, I've made the Pastrami-style Seitan Loaf and then used it in the Rockin' Reubens (which my husband has not stopped talking about), the Cheesy Mac, Smoky Seitan Roast, Not Your Mama's Pot Roast with Roasted Vegetables, Cheezy Sauce with Umboshi Vinegar and the Sweet Cornbread. Oh, and those fabulous Smoky Curls! Everything has been wonderful.

I love the spirit of this cookbook which celebrates good comfort food and proves that it's compatible with compassionate eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!, April 11, 2011
WOW! That is all I can say about this book. I have converted to a vegan life but my family (1 husband and 3 kids) still enjoy a little meat. I have to say though they have LOVED everything we have tried in this book. Julie does an awesome job of making the recipes easy to follow PLUS the recipes contain ingredients that are readily available at any grocery store. Even if you aren't vegan you will want to pick this up just for the option to make some of your favorite diner food healthy (who knew diner and healthy could be in the same sentence).

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson, March 22, 2011
Julie is an amazing vegan chef and well known for her creativity in the kitchen. My 2 1/2 year old grandson loves watching her shows at [...] . Now that we have her new book it has already become a family favorite. All time comfort food that vegans and omni's alike will enjoy. The recipes are fun to make, good to eat, free of animal cruelty, and full of great flavor. Do you miss biscuits and creamy gravy? You will no longer feel deprived. Now you can have those great breakfast memories come alive again. Blueberry loaf cake with lemon glaze is one of my all time favorites. Perfect with a cup of hot tea. Lunch you ask? How about a Pastrami style sammie and fries. Now I can't forget dessert. Her pies are incredible. This is a must have vegan cookbook. No home should be without! Thank you Julie, for another wonderful cookbook! You Rock! Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, March 5, 2011
I just got the book and the photos are wonderful!! I've made the apple coffee cake which was really good. I have listed many recipes I want to try and made a grocery list to match. Easy to find ingredients. I have eaten at Julie's food cart and was very anxious to get the cookbook. A very "friendly" cookbook for the experimenting vegan or new vegan. Not preachy. Thanks Julie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! But only if you're into vegan meats, December 14, 2011
JL4321 (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This cookbook is fun and delicious! I would especially recommend it for cooking for a non-veg or someone who enjoys vegan meats b/c the book relies heavily upon them...although what else would be expected from a diner cookbook?:) If you're not into vegan meats, this cookbook probably won't be for you, but I'd recommend trying it anyway, b/c I'm typically not into vegan meats but have still found the recipes tasty and have learned many new cooking skills. I've tried out many recipes I never even considered trying before, such as making my own seitan. (It makes a lot! So if cooking for 1 or 2, I'd recommend halving the recipe.) Also, has one of the best chili recipes I've ever come across, and a tasty recipe for soycurls, a food new to me which I previously didn't really know what to do with! I've tried about 10 recipes so far and have at least 10 more marked to try next..did I mention this cookbook is FUN!

Many of the recipes do call more expensive or obscure ingredients, such as wheat gluten and porcini mushroom powder. I suggest purchasing from the bulk section of your grocery store if available, it's typically substantially less expensive.

Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul by Julie Hasson (Paperback - March 8, 2011)
$19.95 $14.06