4.0 out of 5 stars Made Me Laugh

Published on December 15, 2011 by SaraJane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Made Me Laugh, June 23, 2012
This review is from: Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (Perfect Paperback)
Once I got pregnant I struggled to maintain a whole-food based diet. Plants didn't sound all that great, and cheese did. I felt pretty alone, too. I couldn't find many vegan blogs in the internet world of mommy's-to-be, so I found Amazon instead. I like the author's way of writing, she made me laugh throughout the book and also comforted me on the pregnant, vegan journey ahead. I recommend this book 'cause she gives you advice on what to expect when people hear you don't eat animals and you're growing a baby inside of you. Plants are AMAZING for the baby, the mom, and maybe you'll even inspire the doctors who look at your blood tests and see how rad your insides are :) (my midwife was inspired - highest iron count she had ever seen in a vegan, pregnant woman at her practice).

But if you do buy this book, do it at the very start of pregnancy. I bought it towards the end of the first trimester and a lot of the stuff I read was old news to me since I had been reading about pregnancy + plant-based foods for weeks before hand.

Happy pregnancy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy reference, September 25, 2011
This review is from: Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (Perfect Paperback)
Sayward's guide is great - it doesn't repeat all the other pregnancy advice out there, just gets down to brass tacks and gives you the vegan-specific stuff you need to know.

It was easy and fun to read; I finished it in an evening. It's encouraging without being preachy; it's friendly and inspiring. I'm on my second vegan pregnancy and I found this book useful and fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome!, September 16, 2011
This review is from: Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (Perfect Paperback)
whether you are pregnant, going to be pregnant or even if you are postpartum, you will love this book! the vegan pregnancy guide is so informative and well written. sayward's style is easy fun & easy to follow, and she covers many topics from nutrition to advice on how to respond to people in difficult social situations.

i became a huge fan of sayward several months ago when i discovered her blog, bonzai aphrodite, and i couldn't wait to get this book! i love it as much as i was hoping! i have a 10 month old boy & i was able to take a lot of good things from it even though i'm not pregnant. i look forward to my next pregnancy, because i feel it will be so helpful to have the information she has shared. thank you so much sayward, i will buy this for every pregnant person i can!

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this book, December 15, 2011
This review is from: Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (Perfect Paperback)
I really wanted to like this book. I mean, how exciting, finally a book about vegan pregnancy! I did find some useful information in the book, but not much. There were bits of chatspeak here and there and the book reads as if it's written by some kind of hipster. The tone and grammar alone really turned me off. The synopsis of the book promised info about things like vegan baby showers and introducing babies to pets. Well, not really. The advice for the baby shower was either insist on having at least one thing you can eat at your own party or just bring your own food like a Lara bar or something. Yeah, I could have figured that one out on my own. As for the pets, she goes into things about her dogs and then says cats just ignore everything anyway, so they never care. Maybe you could have actually spoken to some cat owners before writing something as idiot as that. The opposite of helpful.

I have a really hard time taking any herbal and nutritional advice from someone who has no background in either of those things. Not to mention, Sayward has said women should be taking 1000mg of vitamin C daily while pregnant on her blog. That much vitamin C has been known to cause miscarriages. So, yeah, no. I don't really think I'll be putting much stock into anything she has to say regarding supplementing.

If you want a great book for vegan pregnancy, don't waste your money on this one and buy the Everything Vegan Pregnancy Book instead. It's absolutely fabulous and full of in-depth information written by an actual registered dietician with so many great tips on how to stay healthy and sane while vegan and pregnant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic resource!, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (Perfect Paperback)
This book came just a little too late for our vegan pregnancy (baby came 2 weeks after the release), but it has still been a handy resource for nutritional information, especially as it contains a section specifically devoted to breastfeeding. Kudos to the author for including references to actual scientific journals (recent ones!) to support her data. Though this book can't completely replace more the thorough personal research that is generally needed for any well-balanced diet, it is a great place to start and would certainly have saved us a lot of time and effort! The author's website is also packed with useful advice on vegan/raw cooking, environmentally conscious housekeeping, childcare, urban gardening, and lots more good stuff, all conveyed with quality writing and an unmistakable joi de vivre. Just buy it already!

4.0 out of 5 stars for preggers already vegan, April 24, 2014
Kelley RRR "Kelley RRR" (Duluth, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (Perfect Paperback)
This was a great book for me as 1- I am in my second pregnancy, and 2- i have been vegan almost two years. So it worked for a quick review of my needs. If you are new to pregnancy or a plant-based diet, then i would recommend a more comprehensive book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book & Enjoyable Reading, January 10, 2014
This review is from: Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (Perfect Paperback)
My husband and I are planning to start trying to have a baby this summer so I am doing as much prep as I can now to be ready. I am a vegetarian but don't eat a lot of dairy. Reading into vegan pregnancy is something I felt was important. I am a very healthy woman with a great diet but I want to be at optimal health for this baby. This guide is very helpful and I would recommend it to anyone who is veg or considering a veg pregnancy. Sayward is a really cool chick and writes honestly, which resonates with me very well. She also includes personal experiences. I would compare it to The Skinny Bitch books with way less factual information and text. A good read for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very reassuring, February 8, 2012
This review is from: Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (Perfect Paperback)
This book was written in a friendly and reassuring manner (unlike Bun in the Oven, which probably has more info, but is so harsh and mean!) It's a good book for reassuring you, and for giving to anyone who might be doubting your vegan pregnancy, since it's a short read. I would recommend it as a supplement to a meatier (ha ha) vegan pregnancy book if you're looking for meal plans and recipes. It's worth getting, for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (Perfect Paperback)
Finally there is a vegan pregnancy book! The information in this book is absolutely amazing and, as a person who is vegan, is planning on being prego in the next year, and wants to stay a healthy vegan throughout my pregnancy, I was just so happy to find such wonderful information! Sayward gets it - she's gone through it and gives pregnant, vegan women something to look FORWARD to rather than something that seems daunting. She is so honest about what your body actually needs during pregnancy and how people will react when they find out your staying vegan throughout it! I appreciate this book so much and I know it will be invaluable to me as a journey through my first pregnancy!

Thank you, Sayward!

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, sweet, and should be required reading, September 14, 2011
This review is from: Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (Perfect Paperback)
While I've never been a pregnant vegan, I have been pregnant and I am now a vegan, looking forward to a vegan pregnancy in the near-ish future. A general pet peeve of mine concerning pregnancy books, articles, etc is that the writers tend to take on an authoritative tone, and then don't even bother to source their info! Not this book! Sayward eschews pretentiousness and writes conversationally while giving plentiful citations. The book is a very quick read, but the info is well-structured and it's the perfect size for toting around and sharing a few highlighted passages to "concerned" skeptics. Valuable, straight-forward information for anyone interested in a healthy, vegan pregnancy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide
Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide by Sayward Rebhal (Perfect Paperback - August 16, 2011)
$12.95 $8.33