Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Perfect Paperback|Change

on June 23, 2012
Once I got pregnant I struggled to maintain a whole-food based diet. Plants didn't sound all that great, and cheese did. I felt pretty alone, too. I couldn't find many vegan blogs in the internet world of mommy's-to-be, so I found Amazon instead. I like the author's way of writing, she made me laugh throughout the book and also comforted me on the pregnant, vegan journey ahead. I recommend this book 'cause she gives you advice on what to expect when people hear you don't eat animals and you're growing a baby inside of you. Plants are AMAZING for the baby, the mom, and maybe you'll even inspire the doctors who look at your blood tests and see how rad your insides are :) (my midwife was inspired - highest iron count she had ever seen in a vegan, pregnant woman at her practice).

But if you do buy this book, do it at the very start of pregnancy. I bought it towards the end of the first trimester and a lot of the stuff I read was old news to me since I had been reading about pregnancy + plant-based foods for weeks before hand.

Happy pregnancy!
on September 25, 2011
Sayward's guide is great - it doesn't repeat all the other pregnancy advice out there, just gets down to brass tacks and gives you the vegan-specific stuff you need to know.

It was easy and fun to read; I finished it in an evening. It's encouraging without being preachy; it's friendly and inspiring. I'm on my second vegan pregnancy and I found this book useful and fun!
on December 28, 2014
I'm glad a book on the topic exists, but this teeny-tiny book has so little helpful information in it. As someone else wrote, it may as well be a glorified zine. The only takeaway I got is to bring vegan clear liquids with me to the hospital. It might be a good starting point for someone newly vegan and pregnant, but most of the information is common sense, some seems inaccurate, and you won't learn much from it. She's not a medical professional and uses a nutritionist whose work I haven't loved in other vegan cookbooks. Overall not a trustworthy or useful source. I also found her writing tone annoying and ended up returning the book in favor of some classic pregnancy texts, supplemented with non-pregnancy vegan books and websites.
on March 3, 2015
Um, well....it's different. It might be perfect for someone who is lacking common sense. But for the most part it seems to just repeat what you probably already know, or what you can find on wikipedia or webmd. It reminded me of a high school project presenting a vegan pregnancy.

My big issue with the book is the tone- it's sarcastic where it doesn't need to be, and even condescending here and there; the tone felt immature. I'd rather not be learning about having a baby from my past 16 year old group of friends. I'm all for immaturity in the right setting, I'd just rather live without it from a pregnancy guide book.

Also, I was looking for a bit more substance. The book seems to mention a lot of things, but that's it. A quick mention or reference isn't descriptive or informative. Instead I feel like I got a list of all these things I need to go find other books to explain. Sure you can't go over everything in a book, but at least pick a couple so my time isn't wasted.

The biggest reason why I'm only giving two stars is because I actually learned more about having a healthy vegan pregnancy from mainstream meat-eating-drug-pumping books everyone uses- they generally have a chapter devoted to alternative pregnancies, or sometimes just a page!- and it was still more helpful then this book. Just my two cents- if it works for you, then I'm happy you found a book you can use.
on September 16, 2011
whether you are pregnant, going to be pregnant or even if you are postpartum, you will love this book! the vegan pregnancy guide is so informative and well written. sayward's style is easy fun & easy to follow, and she covers many topics from nutrition to advice on how to respond to people in difficult social situations.

i became a huge fan of sayward several months ago when i discovered her blog, bonzai aphrodite, and i couldn't wait to get this book! i love it as much as i was hoping! i have a 10 month old boy & i was able to take a lot of good things from it even though i'm not pregnant. i look forward to my next pregnancy, because i feel it will be so helpful to have the information she has shared. thank you so much sayward, i will buy this for every pregnant person i can!
on April 24, 2014
This was a great book for me as 1- I am in my second pregnancy, and 2- i have been vegan almost two years. So it worked for a quick review of my needs. If you are new to pregnancy or a plant-based diet, then i would recommend a more comprehensive book.
on July 5, 2014
Tiny book! It's the size of a glorified zine. Also contains incorrect information- Vegan D 3 does exist & it's available on amazon. Check out my other reviews for the D 3. If you're new to veganism then buy this. If you've been vegan for a while, skip it.
on October 2, 2011
This book came just a little too late for our vegan pregnancy (baby came 2 weeks after the release), but it has still been a handy resource for nutritional information, especially as it contains a section specifically devoted to breastfeeding. Kudos to the author for including references to actual scientific journals (recent ones!) to support her data. Though this book can't completely replace more the thorough personal research that is generally needed for any well-balanced diet, it is a great place to start and would certainly have saved us a lot of time and effort! The author's website is also packed with useful advice on vegan/raw cooking, environmentally conscious housekeeping, childcare, urban gardening, and lots more good stuff, all conveyed with quality writing and an unmistakable joi de vivre. Just buy it already!
on August 12, 2013
For a more comprehensive book on vegan nutrition during pregnancy, get The Everything Vegan Pregnancy Book, but this Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide was a quick and easy read that did have some helpful tips and ideas.
on December 15, 2011
I really wanted to like this book. I mean, how exciting, finally a book about vegan pregnancy! I did find some useful information in the book, but not much. There were bits of chatspeak here and there and the book reads as if it's written by some kind of hipster. The tone and grammar alone really turned me off. The synopsis of the book promised info about things like vegan baby showers and introducing babies to pets. Well, not really. The advice for the baby shower was either insist on having at least one thing you can eat at your own party or just bring your own food like a Lara bar or something. Yeah, I could have figured that one out on my own. As for the pets, she goes into things about her dogs and then says cats just ignore everything anyway, so they never care. Maybe you could have actually spoken to some cat owners before writing something as idiot as that. The opposite of helpful.

I have a really hard time taking any herbal and nutritional advice from someone who has no background in either of those things. Not to mention, Sayward has said women should be taking 1000mg of vitamin C daily while pregnant on her blog. That much vitamin C has been known to cause miscarriages. So, yeah, no. I don't really think I'll be putting much stock into anything she has to say regarding supplementing.

If you want a great book for vegan pregnancy, don't waste your money on this one and buy the Everything Vegan Pregnancy Book instead. It's absolutely fabulous and full of in-depth information written by an actual registered dietician with so many great tips on how to stay healthy and sane while vegan and pregnant.
1212 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse