5.0 out of 5 stars Most thorough Vegan Cookbook ever!
First off, the food in this book is amazing. Vegan With a Vengeance was super great, but this is the friggin' BOMB!

Aside from the incredible food, the product description doesn't mention that the first part of the book is a great (and funny) read about HOW to cut and prepare different vegetables, how to cook different grains, etc...for someone like me, pretty...
Published on October 21, 2007 by Mike Desert

3.0 out of 5 stars good recipes, perhaps too rushed into print
Now let me say first of all, I am a huge fan of the PPK. Their shows and recipes are what made me finally realize I can eat delicious meals without having to rely on meat, and I've been the happier for it. I also love their other two cookbooks.

For some reason though, I can never get Isa's pancake recipes to work though. I tried making the blueberry corn...
Published on December 28, 2007 by Julia L. Spriggs

‹ Previous | 1 2 376 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential cookbook, June 26, 2008
J. Eure (Charlottesville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is a great cookbook! Every recipe I've tried has been great...well, except for the chick peas with BBQ sauce wrapped in kale leaves, which is was not so hot - but I had kale and there's only so much to be done with it - and they get an A + for originality on that front! The way the book is written if hip and clever. Just a warning that grandma might be a wee confused by it! I have made the coffee-chocolate bundt cake - which is so moist and several other desserts which were all well received. I only have a few tiny complaints - one being that the spice amounts are too low - I have doubled the spices in all the recipes I've made and I think the results have been perfect and would have been pretty bland if I'd stuck to the book - but that's nothing unique to just this cookbook. The only other issue is that sometimes the amount of food made is too much and it's hard to anticipate. For instance, I made a lentil stew recipe that made so much that I was eating it every day for a week. Granted it was good, but now I know for sure to cut it in half.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not vegan - I'm not even vegetarian - GREAT COOKBOOK!, January 17, 2008
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
I got this book as a gift - although I had it on my wishlist because my husband and I hate vegetables and I was desperately trying to find a delicious way to reduce our meat intake and begin enjoying vegetables like many other adults do.

Yes, many of the recipes are not "healthy" but many are significantly healthier. I very much appreciated the introductory sections on the "How To" of everything - as someone who doesn't eat too many vegetables in the first place, I had no idea how to cook 1/2 of them. The recipes are clearly written and easy to follow. The writing style is much more like a blog than a complicated book and we're actually eating meat-free meals on a regular basis now.

Highly recommended - even if you aren't vegan (oh and the lemon coconut cake is to die for! I never thought a vegan cake could be any good - I was SO wrong.)

4.0 out of 5 stars try vegan with a vengeance first, November 17, 2007
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
i can't say enough good things about vegan with a vengeance. it remains by far my favorite cookbook. i was hoping veganomicon would surpass it as my new favorite but unfortunately that has not been the case. i have cooked about ten recipes from it so far and i have only REALLY liked a few of them. i think it's just different tastes - a lot of these recipes feature pumpkin or fennel flavors, which i'm not that fond of. the few i have seriously enjoyed are the chickpea cutlets which are AMAZING and the sloppy joe recipe is pretty delicious.

one big negative about the cookbook is that there are so many typos and errors in the book it drives me CRAZY - nothing worse than preparing some ingredients and then not knowing when to add them (see: mustard sauce recipe, spicy fennel tempeh pasta recipe, mushroom gravy recipe..). bad editing! hopefully this will be resolved in subsequent printings! but in the meantime, i have a book i spent $20+ on with recipes i can't really use. how annoying is that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, November 11, 2007
vegan_mango (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
Yes! Another fantastic vegan cookbook from Isa and Terry. I can't wait to try everything. The Mac Daddy recipe is as creamy and tasty as traditional Mac 'n Cheese, and their selection of soups is so exciting! And of course, their desserts are the best I've ever tasted...even before I became a vegan.

Also, very important, I am the only vegan I know, so everyone I cook for is definitely all into their meat/cheese/eggs dependencies, but I find I consistently win people over with the recipes from Veganomicon, Vegan with a Vengeance, and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I bought my dad a copy of this book for his birthday because he has been such a big fan of their other recipes. And my dad is (was?) about as far from vegan as you can get!

As other reviewers have said, I really appreciate the parts that talk about prepping veggies and preparing grains. It's what makes this cookbook really great for new vegans (or even vegans like me who have relied on frozen/processed foods for way too many years.)

Long live Veganomicon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chickpea cutlets will rock your world!, October 25, 2007
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
The Chickpea Cutlets recipe in Veganomicon is the most innovative, amazing, easy recipe I've come across in my 6 years as a vegan. Isa and Terry have taken the world of Vital Wheat Gluten to new heights. These cutlets are savory and perfectly chewy. Please make these and serve them with mashed potatoes and greens for the heartiest meal you've had in a long long time. Vegans, vegetarians and omnivores all rave about these delicious, crispy cutlets.

There are many other amazing recipes in this book as well. So far, my favorites are: Prospect Park Potato Salad, Double Pea soup with Roasted Red Peppers, Snobby Joes, Herb Scalloped Potatoes, Yucca Tortillas, Blueberry Brownies and Rumnog Pecan Cookies.

All the recipes are easy to follow and the book contains many helpful hints that are great for beginners and even accomplished chefs.

I could go on, but my hand hurts already. This book rocks!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's average, December 2, 2008
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
The good:
The cookbook is well-organized and offers a lot of helpful tips on what to stock in your pantry and on cookware. It definitely inspires people to cook. I love the Betty Crocker feel to the book.

The bad:
There are some recipes that list ingredients in the beginning, but don't use them in the recipe. The cooking times on some of the grains(kasha, quinoa) are too long and the grains come out over-cooked. The same is true for the veggies. The recipes I've tried so far aren't very good. For example, the Roasted Brussels Sprouts were awful. I love brussels sprouts, I love roasted veggies, and I love spicy Indian food, so I thought this would be a slam dunk, but it was grainy and bland. I also found the campy tone to be off-putting for such a professional cookbook.

The verdict:
Great idea, great concept, but average tasting food and overcomplicated recipes. I really wish that it had more simple, delicious recipes that are meant for the average cook. I'm going to stick with it and try a few more recipes and I will update if my opinion changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Veg? Get this anyway!!!, November 18, 2007
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
Forget all the stereotypes you may have heard about vegan food being, bland, funky textured, and boring. This book will shatter them forever...really. Coming from someone who once thought the only way vegetarians got their protien was from rubbery tofu, I can tell you I've been transformed.

I've cooked many recipes from this book for hard core meat eaters. Not only did they practically lick their plates clean, they actually wanted the recipes.

The recipes are creative and delicious. There is something for everyone in this book. Isa and Terry have a writing style is fun and unpretentious. There are many great cooking tips that will come in handy for the beginner or the experienced cook alike.

I could go on and on and on and on. But I won't. Get a copy of the book and see what I mean. One of my personal favorites is the Manzana Chile Verde. Yum!!

What I do not recommend however is bothering to pre-order anything from Amazon. I got my copies weeks after people who ordered once the book was already in stock. I ordered back in April. Just wait until it becomes available to avoid being frustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Elegant, May 8, 2008
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
This book has tasty dishes that are easy to make. I have had many dinner parties where I only used the recipes in this book and everything has been a hit. It is a great addition to your library of cookbooks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Food but Takes Time, August 10, 2011
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
After reading the China Study, I decided to take Dr. Campbell's challenge to try veganism for a month. This was the first cookbook I bought. Pretty soon after I also bought SuperMarket Vegan, also on Amazon.

I really enjoyed reading the introduction in here. The writers are very witty and keep you entertained, not something you expect out of a cookbook. After making a few recipes out of both this book and Supermarket Vegan, my thoughts are that while Veganomicon is more comprehensive and the food has much more flavor than many of the Supermarket dishes, the often long ingredient list and long prep time of Veganomicon drives me to use Supermarket Vegan more often. Since I work full time, I want to have dinner prepared and eaten in an hour, tops. Supermarket's wide use of convenience foods such as canned beans allows me to do this; however, I generally have to double the spices in that one or add some of my own. With Veganomicon I find that things come out perfect tasting just by following the recipe (occasionally adding more salt or pepper but really nothing more). I also appreciate the frequent suggestions of how to substitute for ingredients you might have instead or would prefer the taste of. However, this for me is strictly a weekend cookbook.

One other remark: I find this book does make large use of tofu and soy products. This for me is not at all a detraction, but for some it might be.

If you are looking for delicious Vegan food to make you forget about the hamburgers you might have so recently abandoned, as I was, this is it. But don't expect to cook from this every night if you are a working person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic flavors, well-written recipes, December 3, 2007
lnbel (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
What a great cookbook!

I've cooked vegan food for years -- I never eschewed meat or dairy, but I had friends with lots of different dietary restrictions and I always make sure to have some complete and tasty vegan dishes on the menu. I used cookbooks like The Voluptuous Vegan (excellent!) and the Millennium Cookbook to learn different types of vegan recipes. However, my experience had always been limited to one or two party-style dishes; it was okay if they were complicated and had four sub-recipes because it was just once a month for a dinner party or whatever.

But recently I decided to go vegan and I wanted to expand my repertoire. I wanted to learn how to keep up a stream of varied tastes and nutrients without having to spend 3 hours in the kitchen every morning and evening. Veganomicon was one of the cookbooks I recently got (the other, also 5 stars, was Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian). I can't say enough good things about it. Sometimes the writing can be a little bit fatuous, but that is more than made up for by the excellent instructions: they'll tell you "now is when you start prepping the rest of the ingredients." The recipes run the gamut of tastes and flavor combinations (Indian, Japanese, American, etc.) so you don't get bored with the flavors. And while there are definitely some "party" recipes, there are also a lot of simple, straightforward weeknight dishes that are filling and tasty. Just last night I was wondering to do with a bunch of kale I had gotten in my delivery produce box, so I made the miso soup with mushrooms, kale, and udon. (Except I didn't have udon, so I used Lebanese couscous instead....)

Even if you're not vegan, go ahead and buy this book. It never hurts to learn more ways to prepare vegetables, grains, fruits, beans, etc. And as one of my friends put it -- "why would you ever NOT bake vegan once you learn how to do it properly? It tastes the same and it's just so much better for you!"

‹ Previous | 1 2 376 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x972c566c)

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Terry Hope Romero (Hardcover - November 2, 2007)
$29.99 $16.94